OT: As if we didn't know, American teenagers "stunningly ignorant"

rememberduane

• Members

You know what's retarded? The way they point out that only a few could identifiy "the invisible man". I never read that in high school, so I sure as hell don't know what that's about. Also, most kids didn't know what Job was known for in the Bible? Since when do they teach about the Bible in public schools? And what does that have to do with US and world history? Sounds more like literature to me.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know what's retarded? The way they point out that only a few could identifiy "the invisible man". I never read that in high school, so I sure as hell don't know what that's about. Also, most kids didn't know what Job was known for in the Bible? Since when do they teach about the Bible in public schools? And what does that have to do with US and world history? Sounds more like literature to me.

Basic lit is an integral part of cultural literacy. How do you go through life in America and NOT at least be familiar enough with these two things to pick them out in a multiple choice test?

And really? What does the Bible have to do with world history? REALLY?

I'm an atheist and I recognize that its one of the single most important books, if not THE most important book, in human history.

• Members

Basic lit is an integral part of cultural literacy. How do you go through life in America and NOT at least be familiar enough with these two things to pick them out in a multiple choice test?

And really? What does the Bible have to do with world history? REALLY?

I'm an atheist and I recognize that its one of the single most important books, if not THE most important book, in human history.

And I'm saying I didn't have to read that book. Yes, we covered all of the basics, Shakespeare, Poe, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, etc. But we never had to read The Invisible Man.

Also, I'm saying the Bible is just a {censored}ing book, not an actual, verbatim account of world history. It's been edited, re-written, and just {censored}ed with so many times (not to mention that it's written by man,) that you can't possibly take it as an account of history, but rather a work of fiction.

And finally, SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. The bible is not part of the public school curriculum.

• Members

And I'm saying I didn't have to read that book. Yes, we covered all of the basics, Shakespeare, Poe, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, etc. But we never had to read The Invisible Man.

Also, I'm saying the Bible is just a {censored}ing book, not an actual, verbatim account of world history. It's been edited, re-written, and just {censored}ed with so many times (not to mention that it's written by man,) that you can't possibly take it as an account of history, but rather a work of fiction.

And finally, SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. The bible is not part of the public school curriculum.

You don't have to read a book to connect it to its author in a multiple choice test. I've not read War and Peace but I sure can connect it to Tolstoy. Same with Moby Dick to Melville, et cetera.

I never said the Bible was an accurate account of anything. But its influence is without equal in world history. Seriously, how do you not get that?

Do you think that you're making some kind of point or enlightening anyone by talking about separation of Church and State? It has nothing to do with this. Any sane person recognizes that it is necessary. It still doesn't excuse you from knowing about the most influential book in world history. I don't expect you to be a communist, but I expect you to have read the Communist Manifesto, which is the second most influential book in world history.

• Members
No surprise here. Most British teens don't even know who Winston Churchill was.
:mad:

The problem is schools run by government. Stupid people who don't know history are doomed to have a government that oppresses them. But when the oppressor runs the schools, what the hell are you supposed to do?

Those that went to private school really have an advantage over the dunces that come out of the government schools.

so should we throw it to the corporations? Interesting, we could have Taco Bell High School (complete with burrito supreme mascot) and Starbucks Elementary

• Members

You don't have to read a book to connect it to its author in a multiple choice test. I've not read War and Peace but I sure can connect it to Tolstoy. Same with Moby Dick to Melville, et cetera.

I never said the Bible was an accurate account of anything. But its influence is without equal in world history. Seriously, how do you not get that?

Do you think that you're making some kind of point or enlightening anyone by talking about separation of Church and State? It has nothing to do with this. Any sane person recognizes that it is necessary. It still doesn't excuse you from knowing about the most influential book in world history. I don't expect you to be a communist, but I expect you to have read the Communist Manifesto, which is the second most influential book in world history.

You're missing my point. Yes, it is silly that teenagers nowadays don't know when Columbus discovered America, or that they don't know who Hitler is. That is absolutely ridiculous. But for someone to not know a certain book's author, or for them not to know certain characters in the Bible, that is forgivable, as they are not required learning in most public schools. That's all I'm saying.

• Members

You're missing my point. Yes, it is silly that teenagers nowadays don't know when Columbus discovered America, or that they don't know who Hitler is. That is absolutely ridiculous. But for someone to not know a certain book's author, or for them not to know certain characters in the Bible, that is forgivable, as they are not required learning in most public schools. That's all I'm saying.

The Bible isn't an infallible book of truth, but it is an important historical document. I don't see how you could take an ancient history course and never once refer to the Bible

• Members

in terms of history, i don't believe the bible's all that accurate in describing the events of the world. i couldn't answer the job question, heh.

yes he really did, rememberduane.

It's not accurate at all, its influential. The other way around. The Bible doesn't explain history, it has shaped it.

Archived