Dragonfire: Best Inexpensive Pickups EVER!!!

TU BE

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have the actives in a couple of guitars...they are comparable to the EMG81, but a bit less compressed. The only thing I noticed is that the pickup wires are a smaller gauge than EMG's....but it makes no difference tone wise.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
Back when they sold guitars (I don't see on the site that they do anymore), I bought a knockoff tele for $99. It was better than any Mexican Fender I've ever played.

And that's no lie.
What the hell!? I new guitar for $99? I wonder how they can even do that. Even shitty tone wood blanks cost that much.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

What the hell!? I new guitar for $99? I wonder how they can even do that. Even shitty tone wood blanks cost that much.

I don't know, but it was a good guitar. Tuners were utter junk, but I replaced those. Neck was really nice. I could get really low action on the guitar. Metal knobs, 3 ply pickguard, solid bridge. It was a toploader though, not rear-loader.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
idn_smilie.gif

Go to GC. They will probably have $100-ish guitars all over the place. Most of them really aren't terribly different from the $300-ish stuff. They just won't have fancy looking things on them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb23

View Post

A review would be great. thumb.gif I want to compare those to my Dimarzios. I love Dimarzios but i want to try something new for a change.

I dont know if it was already mentioned, but the rails are only 19.99 each! Worth it to just try one out yourself.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Light View Post
idn_smilie.gif

Go to GC. They will probably have $100-ish guitars all over the place. Most of them really aren't terribly different from the $300-ish stuff. They just won't have fancy looking things on them.
The dragonfire strats were solid wood...basswood i believe. All the 100 ish guitars are either plywood or agathis, which is total crap. Too soft. Any decent tremelo use can rip the screws out of the body.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I had a pair of Chrome Screamers on a Halo Invert I used to have. Best $30 I ever spent. I now have a pair of Black Screamers on a BC Rich SE Bich along with the black plastic covers Dragonfire sells to make 'em look like EMGs (cheezball, I know but oh well).

Not the hottest pickups in the world, but tonally, they're fantastic.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Detonator

View Post

$35-40 for a prewired pickguard? How good are the rest of the guts, pots switch etc?

I have had zero problems with mine. The pickups sound great and no humming or unwanted noise at all.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I used their rail pickups in my project guitar...no complaints at all, except that you can tell that they are a little more cheezy material wise.

I actually bought one of their Ibby guitar knockoffs back in 2004 with blue quilted maple, Floyd rose knockoff and vine of life inlay for $299 new. Not disappointed there either. Great guitar. I thought I would need to swap out those humbuckers, too...nope, fine by me.

Oh yes, it has a push/pull coil tap, also.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Das Booty View Post
I used their rail pickups in my project guitar...no complaints at all, except that you can tell that they are a little more cheezy material wise.

I actually bought one of their Ibby guitar knockoffs back in 2004 with blue quilted maple, Floyd rose knockoff and vine of life inlay for $299 new. Not disappointed there either. Great guitar. I thought I would need to swap out those humbuckers, too...nope, fine by me.

Oh yes, it has a push/pull coil tap, also.

I might try those in the next project. Whats the bass response like on em, VS a Duncan?

• Members

Im curious about several things Ive seen there. Probably not that great, but I may snag one of those Charvel knock-off bodys. Im sure for the price, I'll have to do some work to make {censored} work & line up... but looks like it'd be fun to see what I could do with one. Ive read mixed reviews on their stuff. Mostly good though.

Archived