Dragonfire: Best Inexpensive Pickups EVER!!!

TU BE

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought a set and ended up just using the neck pickup in my Ibby. Sounds GREAT and I havent found a reason to change it out yet. I havent tried the bridge yet, its still in the wrapper. Maybe I will try it in my new Agile if the BG Dark Bucker doesnt work out. They sound just as good as anything else I have tried really.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt

View Post

I might try those in the next project. Whats the bass response like on em, VS a Duncan?

First of all, the rails are HOT...lots of output.

I only put them in the middle and neck position...Definitely not ice picky in those positions...I used a Dimarzio breed in the bridge.

The humbuckers in the ibby knockoff are strange...in a good way. Really good mid output...pinch harmonics fly out of them...but...they are, for lack of a better word, very CLEAR. Not muddled and forgiving. I get compliments every time I whip that guitar out.

• Members

I may have to snag another. They got some that have larger ploe pieces on em that are supposed to be realy bottom heavy. (Im asuming they're maybe a copy of a Duncan Invader or something along those lines)

Im debating on if I wanna use the '69 reverse Strat style neck I just got on a Charvel copy body w the Dragonfire pick-ups. Should be a fun project (and something a little different)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

As for the Dragon Fire Hot Rails. I love 'em, they do have a schizophrenic nature about them. I put one in a "Super Strat" (S,S,H), with a Dragon Fire Reverse Jackson Style 24 fret neck, on a soft maple Ibanez/ PRS style guitar body with a Floyd Rose, 250k ohm pots, 22 mf caps, with the DF Hot Rail in the neck ( 12.48k ohms), a GFS Lil' Killer (15.28k ohms) and a Carvin M22SD (it killed my lust for Dimarzio Evo's) (14.02k ohms). The Dragon Fire Hot Rail on that guitar made tones like a cross between a Dimarzio Chopper/ YJM (now called the HS 4) with some elements of a Bill Lawrence L-250. Clean wise it's very hifi sounding. With distortion/ overdrive .... that baby burns cleaner than Uranium4 with Barilium.

On an Alder Strat with a rosewood neck, 250k ohm pots, 47 mf caps, Wilkinson trem, Fender "Texas Special"'s in the neck/ middle and another DF Hot Rail ( 11.96k ohms). Not only does it have an SRV tone, but once I flick it to the bridge, the DF Hot Rail has an Dimarzio HS 3 / Pro Track sound to it. Now, I can go from an SRV "Couldn't Stand The Weather" tones to an Yngwie Malmsteen "I'll See The Light Tonight" tones at the drop of a hat now. These up and coming after market pick up companies are a wake up call to Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan and Boutique-Cork Sniffers. Getting great tone doesn't have to be too expensive cool.gif .

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

View Post

One of the best prison flicks ever made.

That movie kept me in line when I was a kid. lol. I didnt wanna go to reform school after seeing it lol.

Clancy Brown as The Viking..one of the best movie villains of teh 80's

Damn right. Between this and American Me, I had no interest in crime whatsoever!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Killa J

View Post

Well damn, I only read the first few posts and went ahead and ordered a set of the actives. I didn't notice this thread was 4 years old. Guess I'll see if they still make good pickups.

I wanna try the actives. The passive humbucker (dont know which model it is) I have from Dragonfire is great. Reminds me of a Duncan invader..just nowhere near as muddy.

• Members

View Post

I wanna try the actives. The passive humbucker (dont know which model it is) I have from Dragonfire is great. Reminds me of a Duncan invader..just nowhere near as muddy.

I've got two guitars with EMGs, and was probably going to order another set until I saw this thread. I'll post a review of these and compare them to the real thing. The guitar they're going in is fairly different than my other guitars, but I should at least be able to hear some similarity if it's there.

Archived