Do you bring a backup amp to gigs?

stratotastic

• Members

I never have, but the one time my amp died (Trace Elliot Velocette OT blew) I was lucky in that my buddy had brought some red-knob Fender that he let me use.

Since steady gigging is on the horizon again, and the finicky nature of Mesas (LSS), I'm actually thinking of picking up a backup amp just in case. Don't want to spend more than say $200, since ideally I'd never use the thing. Maybe some Fender SS or a low budj Peavey or something. Any suggestions?

• Members

Gigged pretty steady for about 5yrs, never brought a backup.

However, one night towards the end of the very last song, my Trem-o-verb went from gig volume to whisper quiet in about 10 seconds. Turned out to be a preamp tube. I guess if an amp is going to fail, that was the perfect time.

• Members

YES!! Saved my bacon more than a few times from tube failure, sketchy ground loops, speaker failure etc (ah the love of vintage amps). Usually, it's a simple 1x12 combo (typically my Mesa/Boogie 22+). Mic it up and I'm large and in charge again.

• Members

I just bring my Vamp pro and go through the PA for a backup. Never had to use it knock on wood! Cheers, Lucius

That's a good idea. I actually have one of those red Behringer DI boxes, but I haven't even tried it out yet. Between that and my Line6 DM4 (which I hate), I guess that could be a better option than lugging a second amp. The prospect of coming through monitors alone creeps me out though.

• Members

Yes. I have a Randall Cyclone that sits in our van. I never did carry a spare until my brand new CAA OD100 SE+ died on me at a gig. It was only a fuse, but it was in a wierd place and I couldn't find it in my panic. That sucked.

I think its important to have something, anything...even if its a damn POD that could be routed thru the sound system.

Archived