Pete Thorn demoing Axe-FX. Awesome stuff... listen!

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tell ya what- I make a living all day long listening to and playing through

primo amps mic'd with royers and 57's through neves (or live, on the road) and that tone at the top is what a strat on the neck pickup sounds like through a nice Marshally amp mic'd properly. It's got sag and a bit of grime and compression to it, and it sounds pretty friggin real to me.

but hey, it's my clip, so maybe ya don't want to listen to me :)

• Members

primo amps mic'd with royers and 57's through neves (or live, on the road) and that tone at the top is what a strat on the neck pickup sounds like through a nice Marshally amp mic'd properly. It's got sag and a bit of grime and compression to it, and it sounds pretty friggin real to me.

but hey, it's my clip, so maybe ya don't want to listen to me
:)

No, we definitely want to hear your opinion and your clips. :wave:

• Members

Cool...and I respect that you're a rock star or play with rock stars and all. And I agree that the AxeFX has a certain level of authenticity (for what it's worth I own an early 70's Plexi and have recorded through Neve's as well). I may no longer have the luxury of making a living at "nothing but music" anymore...but I once did so my opinion is valid too...as is anyone else's on here regardless of what they do for a living. I can assure you most everyone in here listens to and plays through a HELL of a lot of amps. Maybe we're not The Gear Page, but there are a hell of a lot of amp freaks here too.

It's not a matter of does it sound like a primo amp through a neve or a strat through a Marshall...it's "does it sound good?"...and it does...

But at the end of the day, I have yet to hear a single AxeFX clip that made me go "wow...that's amazing". Your playing is amazing, but the tone is just ok to good to my ears (sorry to sound like Randy Jackson). Maybe they'll get there...I hope they do because I love modellers and love to play with them and can use their level of flexibility. I'm still kicking around getting on the list because I think the level of dedication that he has shown to improving the unit will put it on top over time. But I'm also torn because a lot can happen by October, and I have no desire to wait until then simply because he doesn't want to expand production and grow his company. If he would consider getting serious about production it would go a long way towards making me a customer. Maybe it's boutique quality...wonderful...but I don't wait 6 months for a boutique amp either...but maybe that's just me. Plenty of companies can sell a lot of units and retain quality...I fail to see what the issue is there.

And if it makes the AxeFX lovers feel any better, there have been plenty of Strat through a nice Marshally amp clips that were done for real that I wasn't floored with too.

• Members

Cool...and I respect that you're a rock star or play with rock stars and all. And I agree that the AxeFX has a certain level of authenticity (for what it's worth I own an early 70's Plexi and have recorded through Neve's as well). I may no longer have the luxury of making a living at "nothing but music" anymore...but I once did so my opinion is valid too...as is anyone else's on here regardless of what they do for a living. I can assure you most everyone in here listens to and plays through a HELL of a lot of amps. Maybe we're not The Gear Page, but there are a hell of a lot of amp freaks here too.

It's not a matter of does it sound like a primo amp through a neve or a strat through a Marshall...it's "does it sound good?"...and it does...

But at the end of the day, I have yet to hear a single AxeFX clip that made me go "wow...that's amazing". Your playing is amazing, but the tone is just ok to good to my ears (sorry to sound like Randy Jackson). Maybe they'll get there...I hope they do because I love modellers and love to play with them and can use their level of flexibility. I'm still kicking around getting on the list because I think the level of dedication that he has shown to improving the unit will put it on top over time. But I'm also torn because a lot can happen by October, and I have no desire to wait until then simply because he doesn't want to expand production and grow his company. If he would consider getting serious about production it would go a long way towards making me a customer. Maybe it's boutique quality...wonderful...but I don't wait 6 months for a boutique amp either...but maybe that's just me. Plenty of companies can sell a lot of units and retain quality...I fail to see what the issue is there.

And if it makes the AxeFX lovers feel any better, there have been plenty of Strat through a nice Marshally amp clips that were done for real that I wasn't floored with too.

I hear ya and respect your opinion too...

I always find it confusing though (although I guess it's bound to happen) when someone says something like "that sounds like a strat through a clean boost right into a board'. Um, no it does not. The opinion credibility factor erodes for me when someone says something like that, because- It sounds like a guitar plugged into an amp and close mic'd- if it sounded like a strat direct, there would be no sag, compression, or grind, and it would sound alot brighter and full range with less mid emphasis (that's a greenback cab model on my clip). That's just basic understanding of guitar tone to me.. not trying to be an ass, just stating something that to me is like as plain as... "the sky is blue" and someone says "no, it's pink" And where do you go with that then...? I just scratch my head.

I'm used to being in the control room, with heads, listening to mic'd up cabs ... Look, even here at home I have a Bogner cube mic'd with a ribbon and a 57, and that's what I do the majority of my playing at home through- listening to heads and a cab through monitors. And on the road last year with Cornell, I did over 150 2 1/2 hour shows on in ears, listening the whole time to mic'd cabs,- what I'm getting at is I really am constantly listening to amps mic'd.... it is really lodged in my brain what a 57 on a greenback, or on a vintage 30, or a G12h30, through NS10's sounds like.

My initial take on this thing is that it does a better job of capturing that sound than most, if not all of the other offerings on the market. I've only had it here for 48 hours though...

I know there's alot of guys on here that have lots of experience as well. Not discounting any of that by any means... thanks for the kind words on my playing too.

• Members

Don't sweat it. I thought it was a great clip, both tonally and compositionally, and after years of bad sounding Pod low gain clips, I was impressed, as most of the stuff I've heard from the AxeFX has been clean and high gain stuff. I think it does the lower gain/just over the edge of breakup stuff well from what I've heard from your clip.

If people hadn't known what it was when it was posted, they wouldn't have had a problem with it. There have been far worse clips posted from high dollar tube amps that haven't been that good, yet still have people go gaga over them. Then again, maybe they hold you to a higher standard since you're a pro. All I know is the more I hear from this thing, the more I realize that I want an AxeFX, and I'm not half the player you are. I just wish I could spend some time with one without having to fork over nearly $2k for one, as well as having to wait for one to become available.

• Members

I hear ya and respect your opinion too...

I always find it confusing though (although I guess it's bound to happen) when someone says something like "that sounds like a strat through a clean boost right into a board'. Um, no it does not. The opinion credibility factor erodes for me when someone says something like that, because- It sounds like a guitar plugged into an amp and close mic'd- if it sounded like a strat direct, there would be no sag, compression, or grind, and it would sound alot brighter and full range with less mid emphasis (that's a greenback cab model on my clip). That's just basic understanding of guitar tone to me.. not trying to be an ass, just stating something that to me is like as plain as... "the sky is blue" and someone says "no, it's pink" And where do you go with that then...? I just scratch my head.

I'm used to being in the control room, with heads, listening to mic'd up cabs ... Look, even here at home I have a Bogner cube mic'd with a ribbon and a 57, and that's what I do the majority of my playing at home through- listening to heads and a cab through monitors. And on the road last year with Cornell, I did over 150 2 1/2 hour shows on in ears, listening the whole time to mic'd cabs,- what I'm getting at is I really am constantly listening to amps mic'd.... it is really lodged in my brain what a 57 on a greenback, or on a vintage 30, or a G12h30, through NS10's sounds like.

My initial take on this thing is that it does a better job of capturing that sound than most, if not all of the other offerings on the market. I've only had it here for 48 hours though...

I know there's alot of guys on here that have lots of experience as well. Not discounting any of that by any means... thanks for the kind words on my playing too.

No sweat at all...I respect your experience greatly, don't get me wrong...I'm just saying I still trust my own ears. My biggest problem with all modellers including the AxeFX is most of them seem to do one thing the best, instead of all things really well or the best. I know something's gonna come along that will do everything well...and I want it now.

For instance, for tube sag I think GR3 is fantastic. I still love my PodXT and the GearBox plugins for high gain (I don't care what anyone says...albums are being created using Pods). I like Amplitube Jimi Hendrix version for classic Marshalls and Fenders (and seriously...the Fenders are INCREDIBLE on that software). And, so far I think the AxeFX has everyone beat for FX. I want an AxeFX, to me the price isn't THAT high...but it's still a lot higher than other units out there...and the lead times are getting ridiculous. And I think the amp modelling is still a few stages away from blowing me away and for that price and lead time...I need to be blown away.

And as usual I read comments about "if nobody knew what it was they'd be freaking"...a phrase that I myself use and believe in a lot. I can't speak for everyone, because I believe a very HIGH percentage of people both over here and at the Gear Page do let the dollar signs make their decision for them not to mention tube vs. ss vs. modelling. But I can tell you that I love modellers and tube amps alike and have a nice selection of both, and I drop all that stuff and simply ask myself "am I blown away". I don't try to deduce it any more than that...I don't talk "harmonic complexity", "3d sound", or any of that gibberish. I only know if something is bad, mediocre, good, or incredible.

• Members

He's a killer player that sounds great through anything imo. His playing ability transcends the gear, I've liked all the clips I've heard from him in the past regardless of the gear used

Definitely! Very nice clip, Pete... the playing is top notch, like in all of your clips I've heard. I'm not a huge fan of the lead tone (too Satch'ish for me), but the lower gain stuff sounded good, and overall it was :thu:. Not sure what all the hate is about :confused:

• Members

No sweat at all...I respect your experience greatly, don't get me wrong...I'm just saying I still trust my own ears. My biggest problem with all modellers including the AxeFX is most of them seem to do one thing the best, instead of all things really well or the best. I know something's gonna come along that will do everything well...and I want it now.

For instance, for tube sag I think GR3 is fantastic. I still love my PodXT and the GearBox plugins for high gain (I don't care what anyone says...albums are being created using Pods). I like Amplitube Jimi Hendrix version for classic Marshalls and Fenders (and seriously...the Fenders are INCREDIBLE on that software). And, so far I think the AxeFX has everyone beat for FX. I want an AxeFX, to me the price isn't THAT high...but it's still a lot higher than other units out there...and the lead times are getting ridiculous. And I think the amp modelling is still a few stages away from blowing me away and for that price and lead time...I need to be blown away.

And as usual I read comments about "if nobody knew what it was they'd be freaking"...a phrase that I myself use and believe in a lot. I can't speak for everyone, because I believe a very HIGH percentage of people both over here and at the Gear Page do let the dollar signs make their decision for them not to mention tube vs. ss vs. modelling. But I can tell you that I love modellers and tube amps alike and have a nice selection of both, and I drop all that stuff and simply ask myself "am I blown away". I don't try to deduce it any more than that...I don't talk "harmonic complexity", "3d sound", or any of that gibberish. I only know if something is bad, mediocre, good, or incredible.

Totally agree with you on the Amplitube Jimi Hendrix thing- the cleans are really very good. i did a demo for them that's on my MP3 site as well a while back... wasn't the Hendrix version though.

• Members

Totally agree with you on the Amplitube Jimi Hendrix thing- the cleans are really very good. i did a demo for them that's on my MP3 site as well a while back... wasn't the Hendrix version though.

One last thing about the AxeFX, my lack of excitement could be very well due to the fact that nobody has posted a clip with a configuration that personally favor for lead playing. I'm influenced by the tones of guys like Eric Johnson and Trevor Rabin.

I'd love to hear one clip with say, a Tube Driver into a Plexi on 10 through 20 watt celestions...with the treble and presence on the Marshall turned way down played with a Strat (I think you see what I'm getting at here). I can use this configuration on a Pod with fairly startling results. I'd like to hear major violin tone on the AxeFX. I'm not saying I do nothing but copy EJ's tone...but I do use it as a starting point for my own lead sound. And with my Mark IV I use the 80's Frank Gambale and Holdsworth tones as my starting point. Would love to hear that vibe as well.

So if you ever get bored...hint hint...

• Members

I don't consider myself enough of a connoisseur to be able to listen to a clip and tell you definitively whether it was recorded with a modeler or a tube amp or whatever, let alone what amp/speakers/mics/etc were used. As I said, it sounds very good. Very professional, no doubt.

But also like I said, it has this sort of strange quality to it that just makes it sound artificial. I can't really describe it, but after listening to a lot of Axe-FX demos, including this one, it seems to always be there. Too compressed, too smooth, too synthetic sounding. I dunno, I suppose if I had to make an analogy it would be like the difference between eating with a metal spoon or a plastic spoon. Ultimately, the food can taste delicious either way, but the different method of delivery gives it a different texture, a different overall experience. The corollary here is the different "vibe" that I get.

The analogy is pretty dodgy, but then again describing sounds with words can often be rather wishy-washy at best. And if I didn't know it was a modeler, I might not be aware of it. But I can definitely hear it - maybe it's just the intrinsic character of the Axe-Fx; after all, many great amps (including my personal favorite) have a distinct character to them even as they span many different sounds and textures. Maybe that's all it is.

• Members

I don't consider myself enough of a connoisseur to be able to listen to a clip and tell you definitively whether it was recorded with a modeler or a tube amp or whatever, let alone what amp/speakers/mics/etc were used. As I said, it sounds very good. Very professional, no doubt.

But also like I said, it has this sort of strange quality to it that just makes it sound artificial. I can't really describe it, but after listening to a lot of Axe-FX demos, including this one, it seems to always be there. Too compressed, too smooth, too synthetic sounding. I dunno, I suppose if I had to make an analogy it would be like the difference between eating with a metal spoon or a plastic spoon. Ultimately, the food can taste delicious either way, but the different method of delivery gives it a different texture, a different overall experience. The corollary here is the different "vibe" that I get.

The analogy is pretty dodgy, but then again describing sounds with words can often be rather wishy-washy at best. And if I didn't know it was a modeler, I might not be aware of it. But I can definitely hear it - maybe it's just the intrinsic character of the Axe-Fx; after all, many great amps (including my personal favorite) have a distinct character to them even as they span many different sounds and textures. Maybe that's all it is.

+1

• Members

+1

+2

This is definitely the best clip I have heard and if Pete is really impressed, I respect his opinion more than most but the other clips of Axe have left me a little disappointed. With so many players gushing about it, it's definitely a must try, though.

• Members

The opinion credibility factor erodes for me when someone says something like that, because- It sounds like a guitar plugged into an amp and close mic'd- if it sounded like a strat direct, there would be no sag, compression, or grind, and it would sound alot brighter and full range with less mid emphasis

Interesting because it sounds lacking in the mids to me. :confused:

I love most of your clips, and your Komet clips are some of my favorite out there, but I wasnt a fan of this tone. :idk:

And I have to be honest, Im not a fan of any of the clips on the website either.

• Members

To me, the clips almost sound like a rack rig. Like a JMP-1 into a tube power amp or something.

• Members

One last thing about the AxeFX, my lack of excitement could be very well due to the fact that nobody has posted a clip with a configuration that personally favor for lead playing. I'm influenced by the tones of guys like Eric Johnson and Trevor Rabin.

I'd love to hear one clip with say, a Tube Driver into a Plexi on 10 through 20 watt celestions...with the treble and presence on the Marshall turned way down played with a Strat (I think you see what I'm getting at here). I can use this configuration on a Pod with fairly startling results. I'd like to hear major violin tone on the AxeFX. I'm not saying I do nothing but copy EJ's tone...but I do use it as a starting point for my own lead sound. And with my Mark IV I use the 80's Frank Gambale and Holdsworth tones as my starting point. Would love to hear that vibe as well.

So if you ever get bored...hint hint...

Someone posted this on the Axe FX board today. It's probably not exactly what your looking for, but I think it's in the ballpark:

http://www.soaringmusic.com/strat_sheptone_AB_pups_lead_n_rhythm.mp3

• Members

Great. It's like saying Chuck Liddell is a {censored} and he's standing behind you.

• Members

Definitely! Very nice clip, Pete... the playing is top notch, like in all of your clips I've heard. I'm not a huge fan of the lead tone (too Satch'ish for me), but the lower gain stuff sounded good, and overall it was
:thu:
. Not sure what all the hate is about
:confused:

There's so much hate because most of HCAF are a bunch of freaks. I seriously think half the comments in this thread are totally {censored}ing nuts. I don't even play that kind of music and would rarely ever use that kind of sound for the kind of music I like to play, and I still think it sounded awesome. I have heard VERY, VERY few clips or songs from anyone here that sounded even in the same ballpark, let alone sounding better. Most of the guys here don't know a {censored}ing thing about production or recording and yet constantly sit around talking {censored} and throwing more and more money at amp after amp without ever having anything to show for it. It's not a matter of me being defensive, because I honestly couldn't care less what they think. It's just that some of the comments have me going :confused: WTF?! :freak:

I seriously can't understand how people could be SO picky and critical.

Of course I'm sure I'll have some douchebag reply with something stupid like "yea, well that showz how gud ur earz are!!1!" :lol:

• Members

I think the "strange quality" you are referring to is what is known as good production. :freak:

Archived