Pete Thorn demoing Axe-FX. Awesome stuff... listen!

JoshuaLogan

• Members
Thats my experience too. But what do you expect...half of them are kids, many are smokin pot all day, and many have their 1 or 2 treasured amps and if anyone can get a good sound in an unconventional way they feel threatened. Certainly not all though.

Real good amp clips are so rare around here you could wonder if anyone can get a sound. The talent is in the ear--not the amp and most have no idea how to manipulate what they are hearing in the room.

Dont worry, I run a Studio and I have done test after test challanging these "after the fact" comments that you can tell its not mic'd(BTW that guy probably had the Axefx mic'd) or "I didnt hear the tubes".

Yeah right, I have done blind test with guys with golden ears and most cant backup anything they say when they dont know the sound source. I'll mic up or record anything that comes in here and trust me..its not about the tubes...its about what sounds right for the song. Gear battles are kiddy games that are fought by people who dont know dicck

But there is another type of person that is equally absurd. You find this type among almost all AXEFX users who post on forums--they are fanatics. They have joined their little cult and no one can tell them anything anymore. Same as people who choose Linux over Microsoft, or a small boutique amp over Marshall--these people thrive on going against the establishment because they are for some reson "mad" at them. Their attitudes are Cultic and I wouldnt be surprised if they are waiting for Comet Hailbob to come back and take them to their alien homeworld.

Honestly, there were only a few negative comments from the time you corrected the nitpicking but I would bet Axefx owners only saw Satan in what people wrote:p

Well I hope I didnt alienate the good guys here---only the dweebs:thu:

Haha. Awesome :thu:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I thought AxeFX pretty much had the market nailed down for authentic modeling sounds, but I'm totally sold on RevalverMkIII after spending some quality time with the demo. It's impressed me in such a way that I'm getting ready to downsize my rig significantly. I'm not GAS'ing for AxeFX, I'm GAS'ing for Revalver
:)

Still, the AxeFX is an incredible unit, capable of great effects and great modeling... Really a step ahead of anything else in the "discrete modeling rig" genre. Revalver MkIII only costs $250 compared to the AxeFX's $1300-$2000 (depending on what you get and how you get it), worthy of an
:eek:
? Nope, because a computer that'll run any current gen modeler realtime without a hitch is going to run a bare minimum of $1400 or so, and you'd be better off spending around $2000. Suddenly, that RevalverMkIII can compete with AxeFX is more like "Well it better friggin be able to" rather than a big surprise...
:lol:

I'm mentioning it because I saw Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig 3 mentioned earlier in the thread. I tried them both, thought Guitar Rig 3 had some really nice effects, but I didn't really care for the amp models that much (they weren't awful, but not any better than the ~$400 floor units available right now either so no thanks). Amplitube 2 had extremely authentic low gain sounds, but was incredibly noisy even with my quiet setup... And they both had really unrealistic results layering their pedals into their amps. RevalverMkIII not only responds exactly as you figure it would, intuitively, with its own pedals into its own amps, but if you run whatever pedals you want to in front of your DI, its amps respond to them the same way too! I had a blast running my Aramat Mojo Fuzz (fuzz face with NOS parts
:rolleyes:
and a bias control
:thu:
) into the Vox model, it sounded just like the real deal.

Modelers are so exciting right now. I can't wait for AxeFX 2.0 or whatever he has planned next... and of course, I'm investing in Revalver MkIII as soon as it comes out in late July (according to Peavey - or early August, but I'm really hoping late July so I've got a chance to record some stuff before I have to start seriosuly working on my thesis).

True: Amplitubes 2's vintage amp sounds are really impressive. When I do my next(first?) serious recording I am going to make sure a blank singnal is DI'd so I can layer an amplitube track along with the genuine ones.

• Members
Thats my experience too. But what do you expect...half of them are kids, many are smokin pot all day, and many have their 1 or 2 treasured amps and if anyone can get a good sound in an unconventional way they feel threatened. Certainly not all though.

Real good amp clips are so rare around here you could wonder if anyone can get a sound. The talent is in the ear--not the amp and most have no idea how to manipulate what they are hearing in the room.

Dont worry, I run a Studio and I have done test after test challanging these "after the fact" comments that you can tell its not mic'd(BTW that guy probably had the Axefx mic'd) or "I didnt hear the tubes".

Yeah right, I have done blind test with guys with golden ears and most cant backup anything they say when they dont know the sound source. I'll mic up or record anything that comes in here and trust me..its not about the tubes...its about what sounds right for the song. Gear battles are kiddy games that are fought by people who dont know dicck

But there is another type of person that is equally absurd. You find this type among almost all AXEFX users who post on forums--they are fanatics. They have joined their little cult and no one can tell them anything anymore. Same as people who choose Linux over Microsoft, or a small boutique amp over Marshall--these people thrive on going against the establishment because they are for some reson "mad" at them. Their attitudes are Cultic and I wouldnt be surprised if they are waiting for Comet Hailbob to come back and take them to their alien homeworld.

Honestly, there were only a few negative comments from the time you corrected the nitpicking but I would bet Axefx owners only saw Satan in what people wrote:p

Well I hope I didnt alienate the good guys here---only the dweebs:thu:

This guy is a giant tool and a pathological liar. He used to be my personal troll a few years back. Dismiss everything he says and laugh in his face. :thu:

• Members
This guy is a giant tool and a pathological liar. He used to be my personal troll a few years back. Dismiss everything he says and laugh in his face.

MAn I have lost most of my personal little cocksuckers from not posting as much :cry:

I was pretty hard on my toadie Code Blue though, may have scared him off :cop:

• Members
This guy is a giant tool and a pathological liar. He used to be my personal troll a few years back. Dismiss everything he says and laugh in his face.

This is one of the know nothings I was talking about. He has the IQ of a Tampon yet feels the need to spirt out the thoughts that come from his tiny intellect anyway --probably to the tune of 10,000 posts by now

I'd bet anything he is one of the snobby little turds that tried to explain that the clip wasnt good and he could hear it sounded fake.

Hold on..Im gonna look.............................................

Hahahahahahaa. What a loser. I havent posted here in months and this little wannabe is still trying to impress kids. Like I said, put up a blind test and this unwashed ass couldnt tell you diddly. Someone do it...direct it to this pimple assed snob
:poke:
Look, little stupid potheaded nobody--I know this is your life...having a little posse of retards thinking you actually have some brain cells left but your not fooling anybody who does.:cop:

You see, anyone who actually passed english comprehension noticed the hyerbole and appeal to humor in my post. They also know it was essentially true. Your just pissed because you know it accurately described the steaming pile that is you.

Now throw a temper tantrum you infant

• Members
:snax:

I liked the clip a lot, although Pete could make ritz crackers sound like caviar. I think it's easily one of the best standalone modelers I've heard out there though. If you were going to factor in the price of a laptop with modeling software, it's still pretty competitive actually. Is there a 2.0 version in the works, or is he going to just keep updating the current gen?

• Members
This is one of the know nothings I was talking about. He has the IQ of a Tampon yet feels the need to spirt out the thoughts that come from his tiny intellect anyway --probably to the tune of 10,000 posts by now

I'd bet anything he is one of the snobby little turds that tried to explain that the clip wasnt good and he could hear it sounded fake.

Hold on..Im gonna look.............................................

Hahahahahahaa. What a loser. I havent posted here in months and this little wannabe is still trying to impress kids. Like I said, put up a blind test and this unwashed ass couldnt tell you diddly. Someone do it...direct it to this pimple assed snob

:poke:

Look, little stupid potheaded nobody--I know this is your life...having a little posse of retards thinking you actually have some brain cells left but your not fooling anybody who does.
:cop:

You see, anyone who actually passed english comprehension noticed the hyerbole and appeal to humor in my post. They also know it was essentially true. Your just pissed because you know it accurately described the steaming pile that is you.

Now throw a temper tantrum you infant

not that I have anything against Shea, but I figure this is a good time to say blues rock, for the most part, sucks major ass :cop::poke:

• Members

You know what my first impression of the clip was?

"Hey, that sounds like Audley Freed's tone from the Cry of Love CD, "Brother".

I liked it.

He's been posting more stuff with it on other forums... there's a few ridiculous copies of the EVH brown sound people on here would {censored} themselves over, but I haven't bothered posting anything for obvious reasons.

• Members
:snax:

I liked the clip a lot, although Pete could make ritz crackers sound like caviar. I think it's easily one of the best standalone modelers I've heard out there though. If you were going to factor in the price of a laptop with modeling software, it's still pretty competitive actually. Is there a 2.0 version in the works, or is he going to just keep updating the current gen?

From what I understand, there isn't a 2.0 in the works because the hardware is not the limiting factor at the moment, and there are no better converters available currently. The plan is to continue tweaking and adding features via firmware. They are developing a foot controller, which will probably be their next product.

The designer seems to be a tinkerer, so I've a feeling that as soon as something better can be done, he'll do it.

-W

• Members

Don't know why all the flak. It's a good clip. It has many tones you can't get with one amp...not to mention the FX.

I detected at least a bit of tube amp quality. that spongeyness...the way the tone changes a bit...

I don't look at these kinds of things...be it a Tonelab, Pod or AxeFX... as replacing any specific amp. But we always talk about how this amp will do this but not that. That amp will do that but not this. Here's a product that can get you many tones and soundscapes...maybe not 100%, okay fine. But it's dman close and a ton of amps don;t do it 100% either.

IF you just play one sound...let's call it dirt rocking...fine. Your Plexi will serve you well. For myself, I'm usually in 2 or 3 bands at once, plus my own versatile and experimental interests....these things are a godsend. I can walk into any situation and have the right tones and fx at a push of a button.

Archived