Pete Thorn demoing Axe-FX. Awesome stuff... listen!

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I don't even play that kind of music and would rarely ever use that kind of sound for the kind of music I like to play,

I do play stuff like this. :thu:

Besides, we've discovered through numerous threads such as these that you dont have an ear for tone. :cop:

• Members

Are you kidding?
:freak:

I never said it was good I just said it sounds like an amp.

I didn't say a good amp and I didn't say what kind :o

It still has a funkiness to it that is hard to put in words, hollow sounding? Grainy, especially once all the layered parts come in.

Still sounds pretty convincing just not spectacular I guess.

We all know where you are coming from, live loud and raw!

• Members

kinda hollow sounding and grainy

So Im not the only one who heard it? Its blaringly obvious in that intro.

I dont see why people get upset about others not liking it though. If you posted that and said it was a Marshall I would have said the same thing.. .IN fact I probably would have been more ruthless about it because it is a tube amp. :lol:

• Members

Really? It sounded like multi layers heavily effected quality s s rack direct setup to me.

It sounds like what I want it to sound like to make me think its worth $2k. Not that I do :cop:

I've never made a good recording of a tube amp in my life though :lol:

• Members

So Im not the only one who heard it? Its blaringly obvious in that intro.

I dont see why people get upset about others not liking it though. If you posted that and said it was a Marshall I would have said the same thing.. .IN fact I probably would have been more ruthless about it because it is a tube amp.
:lol:

It's because the way you guys present your opinions make you sound totally {censored}ing nuts. I can understand having different preferences, but I obviously like it, he obviously likes it, and so do quite a few other people who commented on it. Maybe the "grainy" thing is what he was going for. Sure sounds good to me. I hear similar sounds all the time in popular indie rock stuff. That's what a strat into a marshall style amp sounds like.

And again, I can't understand how you could be SO critical when the stuff you post doesn't even sound 1/10th as good or professional as this, but hey maybe you don't give a {censored} about recording and it's not important to you...

Stuff about the clips goes for thefyn and quite a few other people too.

Even if you don't like that particular sound, plenty of other people love it, and that's just ONE amp sim out of a ton. To not see the value in everything it's capable of seems pretty stupid to me.

Seriously, there's been very few clips or music posted on here that sounds anywhere near as good, and most of those have come from Zorran and Bulb, and Bulb records with a {censored}ing POD and accomplishes what 90% of you CAN'T with $3,000+ amps.

I'm setting up a small home studio to make it easier to record music and track demos whenever I want to, and the Axe-FX is perfect for that for me... A whole box filled with pretty much any effect you can think of, all on the level of an Eventide Eclipse ($2000 itself) and a ton of amp sims covering all styles that sound extremely convincing and can produce very professional results. So, it makes sense for me. Using it as my main tool for recording, and then using it with powered monitors or a vht poweramp + 4x12 for live.

Maybe something else works better for you, but again... my mind is totally blown at how critical some of you guys are, when you've never produced anything on the same level...

• Members

It's because the way you guys present your opinions make you sound totally {censored}ing nuts. I can understand having different preferences, but I obviously like it, he obviously likes it, and so do quite a few other people who commented on it. Maybe the "grainy" thing is what he was going for. Sure sounds good to me. I hear similar sounds all the time in popular indie rock stuff. That's what a strat into a marshall style amp sounds like.

And again, I can't understand how you could be SO critical when the stuff you post doesn't even sound 1/10th as good or professional as this, but hey maybe you don't give a {censored} about recording and it's not important to you...

Stuff about the clips goes for thefyn and quite a few other people too.

Even if you don't like that particular sound, plenty of other people love it, and that's just ONE amp sim out of a ton. To not see the value in everything it's capable of seems pretty stupid to me.

Seriously, there's been very few clips or music posted on here that sounds anywhere near as good, and most of those have come from Zorran and Bulb, and Bulb records with a {censored}ing POD and accomplishes what 90% of you CAN'T with $3,000+ amps.

I'm setting up a small home studio to make it easier to record music and track demos whenever I want to, and the Axe-FX is perfect for that for me... A whole box filled with pretty much any effect you can think of, all on the level of an Eventide Eclipse ($2000 itself) and a ton of amp sims covering all styles that sound extremely convincing and can produce very professional results. So, it makes sense for me. Using it as my main tool for recording, and then using it with powered monitors or a vht poweramp + 4x12 for live.

Maybe something else works better for you, but again... my mind is totally blown at how critical some of you guys are, when you've never produced anything on the same level...

where are your productions? :cop::o

• Members

I've never heard you produce anything, period. Until I hear a clip of the greatness that is JoshuaLogan, I'm forced to believe that you are a fanboi on the magnitude of most Splawn owners.

• Members
And again, I can't understand how you could be SO critical when the stuff you post doesn't even sound 1/10th as good or professional as this, p

I think all of my Superbass clips sound better than this. And I think Pete's Komet clips sound 10 times better than this.

Sorry you're tone deaf....:cop:

• Members

BS...I've posted clips and links to CDs that I've played on many times in here. Just because I choose not to pimp the work that I do in my sig every single post doesn't mean I've never produced anything on the same level.

Why is it so shocking that not everyone is fawning all over the AxeFX? Even on the cork-sniffing gear page there are plenty of people that aren't impressed at all. Sorry...those clips have awesome playing and average to maybe good tone to me.

• Members
I hear ya and respect your opinion too...

I always find it confusing though (although I guess it's bound to happen) when someone says something like "that sounds like
a strat through a clean boost right into a board
'. Um, no it does not. The opinion credibility factor erodes for me when someone says something like that, because- It sounds like a guitar plugged into an amp and close mic'd- if it sounded like a strat direct, there would be no sag, compression, or grind, and it would sound alot brighter and full range with less mid emphasis (that's a greenback cab model on my clip). That's just basic understanding of guitar tone to me.. not trying to be an ass, just stating something that to me is like as plain as... "the sky is blue" and someone says "no, it's pink" And where do you go with that then...? I just scratch my head.

I said that. (punches the air) "Yeah!" :-)

Still think its true. I could probably prove it too if I had a decent strat! Stupid EMG S's sound like honk.

I'm going to be honest, i am even more nonplussed after seeing how much it costs. I did this clip using a crate vintage club 20 with el84's, a berhinger pitch shifter and a little verb.

The crate cost me $90 and the pedal $39. (verb was added later)

www.web-design100.com/pitch.mp3

It is one track, mic'd up to a 2x12 and into my pre then PC.

Just noodleing at bedroom levels with no click etc.

My point is the price to tone ratio is still way off. And IMO the POD pro/XT etc is on par with it. (I owned both and ditched them for the same reasons I hear in your clip)

As for it sounding like tubes...I am not convinced, and for that price we need to be 100% convincedified.

I think with the el84 driven crate and free plug in effects your clip would sound better. And that is an amp that I traded for one mesa speaker :-)

The clip is IMO lacking the chaos of tubes. Too perfect and pristine. It needs more filth, raunch and swagger. As it is it sounds very friendly/compressed/classy.

Obviously your playing is great. You are probably going to hear "mojo" a lot from us tits.

• Members

I've never heard you produce anything, period. Until I hear a clip of the greatness that is JoshuaLogan, I'm forced to believe that you are a fanboi on the magnitude of most Splawn owners.

I never said I was great at anything. I've never had anything to work with for recording. I'm 20 {censored}ing years old (21 this august). I'm just now setting up a DAW PC and getting a recording interface and getting everything ready to start recording music at home. I don't see how what I've done has anything to do with my points. It's not about me wanting competition with you any of you. It's about you guys being EXTREMELY critical, and going on and on about how guys like me are "tone deaf" when the examples of your own stuff that you apparently like usually sounds like complete {censored} in comparison to other people's work which is done with (in your opinion) inferior equipment.

I mean seriously, what the {censored} is the point of obsessing over amps and being addicted to throwing away money on them? Get setup for recording. Make some {censored}ing music. So many of you talk so much, but do so little. And then we have guys like Zorran and Bulb who have incredible writing and production skills, and Zorran often records direct with a Palmer DI (while we hear dumb{censored}s on HCAF tell you DI recordings never sound good) and Bulb using a POD. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I am into a wider variety of stuff and not super, super picky about one specific sound. I don't know what it is. I can't even comprehend some of the comments though.

And you can sit there all day with your "where's your productions?" comments, but you're completely missing the point.

• Members

And let me just point out that arguing production skills in this context is asinine.

We're talking guitar tones. All of us have already admitted that with the right studio production, you can make a Pod sound glorious. Which is why Im actually baffled this clip doesnt sound better...

But, what does that have to do with the guitar tone? When I make demo clips I make them so they sound as close as possible to what it sounds like in the room. I dont add a bunch of post fx and try and clean it up.

On another note, Id love to hear a clip of this Axe Fx with a tube power amp into a 4x12.

• Members

I never said I was great at anything. I've never had anything to work with for recording. I'm 20 {censored}ing years old (21 this august). I'm just now setting up a DAW PC and getting a recording interface and getting everything ready to start recording music at home. I don't see how what I've done has anything to do with my points. It's not about me wanting competition with you any of you. It's about you guys being EXTREMELY critical, and going on and on about how guys like me are "tone deaf" one the examples of your own stuff that you apparently like usually sounds like complete {censored} in comparison to other people's work which is done with (in your opinion) inferior equipment.

I mean seriously, what the {censored} is the point of obsessing over amps and being addicted to throwing away money on them?
Get setup for recording. Make some {censored}ing music. So many of you talk so much, but do so little. And then we have guys like Zorran and Bulb who have incredible writing and production skills, and Zorran often records direct with a Palmer DI (while we hear dumb{censored}s on HCAF tell you DI recordings never sound good) and Bulb using a POD. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I am inot a wider variety of stuff and not super, super picky about one specific sound. I don't know what it is. I can't even comprehend some of the comments though.

And you can sit there all day with your "where's your productions?" comments, but you're completely missing the point.

The fact of the matter is, you have gone on and on about the Axe-FX (before you even owned one), heralded it as the "be-all end-all" of gear, "this is my last amp", etc, but we have yet to hear anything from your end.

In response to the bolded part, I'm not the one who has bought and sold (by my memory) a Framus Dragon, a 5150III, and a couple of other amps when bought unheard. I do my research, and I buy stuff that fits a specific niche. I also buy smart, so I don't usually lose money if I do sell something.

For what it's worth, I have got some recordings of my band's new stuff. I know it's probably not nearly shred-worthy enough for you (it's way too poppy), but the guitar sounds great, IMO, and the production is A-OK. I view my gear as a tool to create, not as a means in and of itself, hence the reason it's rare for me to be spamming stuff.

• Members

I never said I was great at anything. I've never had anything to work with for recording. I'm 20 {censored}ing years old (21 this august). .

So basically you dont know {censored}. Have you ever even played in a band? What about live?

Palmer DI (while we hear dumb{censored}s on HCAF tell you DI recordings never sound good

Noone in this thread said that. Ive heard Olaf get great tones with his Palmer.

Maybe it's just me and the fact that I am into a wider variety of stuff and not super, super picky about one specific sound

I like everything from jangly AC30's to roaring Splawns, to fuzzes into bass amps and even a few SS stuff... And Id be willing to bet my musical preferences are far more diverse than yours.

• Members

Pete is a great player, and I hear a very nice guy as well. We have a mutual friend, Will Boggs, we both endorse his company WB Pickups. They're worth checking out if you havent. I was talking to Will about the first time he got to see Pete play live with Chris Cornell and he was so excited to be there and have him play his pickups. Funny thing is, he played the first guitar that had WBs in it practically all night. Great clip to the OP.

• Members
The fact of the matter is, you have gone on and on about the Axe-FX (before you even owned one), heralded it as the "be-all end-all" of gear, "this is my last amp", etc, but we have yet to hear anything from your end.

:thu:

I havent bought an amp since my Superbass, and that was 4 years ago now.

• Members

So basically you dont know {censored}. Have you ever even played in a band? What about live?

When I was 20, I was gigging in a band using a Laney tube amp and a LP Studio. It wasn't primo gear, but I logged easily 100 shows with that rig. And it always sounded OK.

Archived