What is the saddest song you've ever heard?

dr_love6977

• Members

Ooh, good call on Mayonaise.

Another sad Radiohead song is Fake Plastic Trees.

fake plastic trees agreed! kinda wierd though....its not the music that is sad....and i dont think its the words either...i think it is more thoms delivery than anything else....cant explain....

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's lots of very depressing doom out there, such as a lot of Ataraxie's stuff, and black metal as well such as Leviathan and Silencer.

However, despite the fact that I generally listen to extreme metal, probably the saddest album in my memory is Counting Crows' August and Everything After. Round Here, Perfect Blue Buildings, Sullivan Street... {censored} that whole album is filled with sadness, melancholy, loss and all that. Sure the album was really popular, but it's still a very dark album (the singer's ridiculous hairdo aside :eek:). Especially at some rough points in my life, that album has really dug into me.

There's also a lot of seriously sad classical music. Some pieces, such as the Allemande from Bach's 6th cello suite, or the second movement of Beethoven's last piano sonata, strike me this way. Of course as in a lot of things it depends on what kind of mood you're in. The line between incredibly beautiful and incredibly sad is often blurred.

• Members

The band Medicine (the band in the film the Crow) seemed to break up but came back with a new singer Shannon Lee who turns out is the daughter of Bruce Lee making Brandon Lee her older brother.

The last song on the album "Mechanical Forces of Love" is very haunting and sad. Word is, her father came to her in a dream and she had seen a sadness in him as if he was not where he wanted to be. She spoke to him but he couldnt answer back. There was a light behind him that was disappearing like car headlights on a midnight road. Supposidly this is what the song is about. Ive heard she is still puzzled to this day over the dream as its not a good meaning.

"And Sometimes Y"
-----
the rain isnt wet anymore
the sun in the midnight sky
leaves me blind
leaves me behind

the moon through my window
cradled in your arm
one more time
for all time

if we should meet in my dreams tonight
talk to me for a little while
ease my mind
then leave me behind

where to now?
-----

I cant listen to the song without getting a little choked up. Ive played it for a few people after telling them the story and they tear up as well, one girl bawled her eyes out and cant listen to the song again.

• Members

Spiritualized - Broken Heart from the 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' LP. All the live versions I've seen haven't been able to touch the album version.

K9xPNaq9uec

Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack fom 'Kid A'. Personally I think they hit their absolute peak with Kid A.

pO007Bx1Uak

• Members
However, despite the fact that I generally listen to extreme metal, probably the saddest album in my memory is Counting Crows'
August and Everything After
. Round Here, Perfect Blue Buildings, Sullivan Street... {censored} that whole album is filled with sadness, melancholy, loss and all that. Sure the album was really popular, but it's still a very dark album (the singer's ridiculous hairdo aside
:eek:
). Especially at some rough points in my life, that album has really dug into me.

Funny you mention them. I read an article about Adam Durwitz in the new Men's Health. That guy has a rare mental disorder which makes him feel like everything that happens in real life is only happening in his imagination. It was a rough read. I never liked them but I feel like I have a new respect for them now. He's been through some serious {censored}. I did, however, always think that the intro to "round here" has amazing lyrics.

My personal go-to sad song is "Hours of Wealth" from Opeth. That song is one of the most beautiful and depressing songs ever. "Pennyroyal Tea" from Nirvana is another.

I think a lot Alice in Chains could make the cut, especially stuff from Dirt. Elliot Smith's entire catalog is terribly depressing, especially when associated with his suicide. Radiohead is depressing and sad to most people. I personally don't get that impression from them, even though I'm sure a lot of their songs come from a sad place. "Exit Music" off of Ok Computer is pretty sad though.

Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is a good one too. I love me some NIN but the original just doesn't do what the Cash version does.

• Members

I know no-one ever really takes the time to watch posted Youtube video's, but please just take a minute to watch this one if you want a sad song. Every girl I've showed it too has cried. Forever Love by X-Japan at their Last ever concert. Truly emotional.

[YOUTUBE]Ex2z2154cHc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
my exact thought, minus the mainstream part.

and that's why the song is so sad. the combination of his voice, and the images in the video strikes something deep inside me. i get all watery eyed just thinking about it, but that's because i understand what johnny meant when he made that song his.

trent reznor may have written it, but that is johnny cash's song.

now i gotta go watch it. {censored}.

Dude, i had to comment on this...

That is the most powerful song i've ever listened to. It really brings a tear to my eye, and pressure in my chest when i hear it...

Trent Reznor himself said that even though he wrote that song, he considers it a Johnny Cash song...He said Johnny Cash's version is the one that made that song popular, and he brought his own meaning to the song...

I think it's awesome that Trent can put himself aside, to give credit to someone else for making something of his mean so much to so many people...

i have to go watch the video too :cry::cry:

• Members
Dude, i had to comment on this...

That is the most powerful song i've ever listened to. It really brings a tear to my eye, and pressure in my chest when i hear it...

Trent Reznor himself said that even though he wrote that song, he considers it a Johnny Cash song...He said Johnny Cash's version is the one that made that song popular, and he brought his own meaning to the song...

I think it's awesome that Trent can put himself aside, to give credit to someone else for making something of his mean so much to so many people...

i have to go watch the video too
:cry:
:cry:

Damn, that's awesome. I remember reading that when Trent and the guys were writing/recording that song. He said that everyone was choked up. It is a very cool song.

• Members

Maggot Brain

In case you don't know the story behind it, George Clinton told Eddie Hazel to picture the saddest thing he could imagine and play. Hazel imagined hearing that his Mother had died and really expressed anguish with his playing.

After a long fight with drugs and alcohol and a pretty much failed career, he was able to quit the drugs, but drank himself to death... after moving back in with his Mother...who had Maggot Brain played at her own son's funeral.

The song's sad enough, but the bitter irony behind it just pushes it over the cliff.

• Members

So Many Roads

Seeing Jerry Garcia play this in 95, after a life lived on the road, a few months before his death really hit me hard. They played this at the last Grateful Dead concert at Soldier Field.

A different version. Also check out those trippy mid-90s video effects. Ahg! hippies on the lightboard!

Archived