What is the saddest song you've ever heard?

dr_love6977

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, I hate to go mainstream, but.....

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Well, seeing as it was an NIN song way before he did it, it's not too terribly mainstream :cop:

I will admit that Cash's version is equally as sad as Reznor's, though, maybe more so, but seeing as they are sorta different types of sad in their general tone, I can't call it one way or the other.

• Members

Well, seeing as it was an NIN song way before he did it, it's not too terribly mainstream
:cop:

I will admit that Cash's version is equally as sad as Reznor's, though, maybe more so, but seeing as they are sorta different types of sad in their general tone, I can't call it one way or the other.

Yeah, I heard the NIN version the week it came out, BUT

I always saw Trent as a typical troubled manboy.

Johnny Cash is looking back on his life saying it's pretty much worthless, then he dies within the same year.

The Cash one does it for me.

• Members

"Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley

"Gone" by Katatonia

"The Host of Seraphim" by Dead Can Dance

"One Last Goodbye" by Anathema

"A Desolation Song" by Agalloch

Nice choices. I would say Sanvean by Lisa Gerrard myself.

• Members

Johnny Cash is looking back on his life saying it's pretty much worthless, then he dies within the same year.

Yeah i get you. Like I said, it's sorta different. The NIN version is just so overtly oppressive and depressing, while you kinda "feel" the Cash version in a more immediate way.

• Members

The Widow by As Cities Burn is pretty sad, so is the Choral from Caccia and Choral, although "Survivor of Warsaw" is probably the saddest
:eek:

the widow is way too angsty to be truly sad for me. i'm more of a "terrible! how terrible for the great city" or "admission:regret" guy

• Members

Judas Priest's "Last Rose of Summer"

Great tune...my best bud and I learned it many years ago acoustically and still perform it at parties and it is always enjoyed.

For me...the saddest is Gethsamane from Jesus Christ Superstar...specifically the original concept album version.

2nd saddest for me is Hummer by Smashing Pumpkins...though much of their 2nd album could be in that list.

• Members

and that's why the song is so sad. the combination of his voice, and the images in the video strikes something deep inside me. i get all watery eyed just thinking about it, but that's because i understand what johnny meant when he made that song his.

trent reznor may have written it, but that is johnny cash's song.

now i gotta go watch it. {censored}.

Archived