anyone tune to: A = 432hz

Johansolo

• Members

I downloaded that SBAGEN program from the Metafilter site, pretty amazing stuff. I threw on some headphones and turned out the lights and was a trip. I dont know if it was a placebo effect or not, but all I can tell you is I definitely felt it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I used to tune and play my original Stradivarius violin in 432. Later I opted to tune that mofo to drop B. Makes it so much easier to flog and improves the harmonic overtones.

What's the scale length on that, like 14"? Those strings are gonna be awful slack...

• Moderators

I know Metallica tuned slightly sharp of standard 440, just like VH recorded slightly sharp of a half step down. Barely noticeable but it gives it a better sense of "energy" imho. Would I do it? Hell no, I'm lazy. :thu:

• Members

I've actually heard of orchestras tuning to 441 or 443. Not so much down. Never a difference as much as 8.

Uh,yeah. My band tunes slightly sharp, little know punk rock trick of the trade used by bands like the Dead Kennedy and Black Flag. Makes the music sound more "urgent" and "energetic".

• Members

spoke to a luthier about this...There is a small problem with tuning to 432 on a guitar.
Guitars have equally spaced frets. They arent compensated. Keyboards and piano's are compensated. Some notes are sharp, some are flat.
The string tension when fretting, increases the pitch. Intonating at the 12th fixes the 12th, but no where else. So, your 3rd fret is sharp on the B string (same note on a piano is flat).

You have to get around these issues before 432 is a benefit.

• Members
spoke to a luthier about this...There is a small problem with tuning to 432 on a guitar.

Guitars have equally spaced frets. They arent compensated. Keyboards and piano's are compensated. Some notes are sharp, some are flat.

The string tension when fretting, increases the pitch. Intonating at the 12th fixes the 12th, but no where else. So, your 3rd fret is sharp on the B string (same note on a piano is flat).

You have to get around these issues before 432 is a benefit.

orlycafe.jpg

Archived