anyone tune to: A = 432hz

Johansolo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That metafilter.com site is hard science? Oh boy...

I said "linked"... I just hit the first example I found and posted it. Google shows it to you right on your machine. There was a comment there even from someone else that knew about it from the Cool Edit Pro days. I don't know if it is still there now that Adobe bought them out.

Voltaire, here's a VSTi you can play with. http://www.ultradia.org/index.html

If you want to just sample some sounds:

http://cryosleep.yellowcouch.org/

• Members

I said "linked"... I just hit the first example I found and posted it. Google shows it to you right on your machine. There was a comment there even from someone else that knew about it from the Cool Edit Pro days. I don't know if it is still there now that Adobe bought them out.

Voltaire, here's a VSTi you can play with.

If you want to just sample some sounds:

YES!

thanks a LOT man.

you're freakin` fantastic, I love you!

• Members

You said "it's right there linked". So, I would think that means that the link you provided is what you are offering up as hard science, since that is what I asked about and that's where you directed me.

Now you are post saying you said "linked" and I'm honestly not sure what to make of that.

• Members

I've actually heard of orchestras tuning to 441 or 443. Not so much down. Never a difference as much as 8.

yep orchestral string instruements sound better brighter so they tune up to 441, however brass/woodwinds do not so they dont tune up that much. Philadelphia orchestra tunes to 441

• Members

Philly does tune to 441, but I believe that was a bit odd...like something to just claim as their own. As far as I know, standard orchestral tuning is 442 - and if any of the English guys on here can verify, I believe that is the UK's standard as well.

• Members

Boy howdy that's a lot of subjective language presented as hard fact. It turns out that my experiences differ from those described. Reference tuning is arbitrary, of course, but there's nothing argumentatively valid in the assertions made on that page. And the appeal to "Nazis did 440hz!" is clearly trying to place an emotional association between evil and a given tuning. Ludicrous.

• Members

I havent tried it but i dont think it would make much of a difference

I do know though a lot of bands back in the 70s etc... didnt tune to A440. Ever try play along to a Thin Lizzy track or something ? Im always slightly out of tune :cry:

• Members
judging by the kind of crap music the average person listens to (see: billboard charts) i'm pretty sure most of the population is nearly tone-deaf anyway... so it's moot.

:lol:

I admit though, I do find this interesting...

• Members
Is this crackpottery the reason I can't play along to Beat It with its stupid in-betweeny key?
:mad:

I think that's varispeed on the tape machine somewhere along the line, not that it was actually recorded in some wacky tuning...

• Members
I do know though a lot of bands back in the 70s etc... didnt tune to A440. Ever try play along to a Thin Lizzy track or something ? Im always slightly out of tune
:cry:

The instruments on a lot of older albums aren't in tune with anything in particular except each other.

Archived