Is rack gear the next "vintage" trend?

Davetopay

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
rack gear is the next dumpster diving freebie find.

Rack gear doesnt become "vintage". It becomes obsolete.

Exactly.... That's why EVERY major studio in the world uses it, especially old Urie Tube Compressors. :rolleyes:

• Members
Exactly.... That's why EVERY major studio in the world uses it, especially old Urie Tube Compressors.
:rolleyes:

We're talking about using it in a guitar amplification application. Of course it will be used in studios. Theres not even an alternative there.

• Members
Exactly.... That's why EVERY major studio in the world uses it, especially old Urie Tube Compressors.
:rolleyes:

Oh, the high end stuff. Is that what we are talking about?
Yah, I can see an old neve console or something like that going up in value.

I was thinking of my old ART multi efffects unit and stuff like that.

No way thats going up in value. Thats going up into the back of a dump truck. That aint no tube compressor.

• Members

We're talking about using it in a guitar amplification application. Of course it will be used in studios.
Theres not even an alternative there

I couldn't agree more, and in order to reproduce those sounds accurately, there isn't an alternative to using them live either- which is why The Edge, and Gilmour and countless others use the stuff they did in the studio to get the array of tones they did, in their live performances, when given the choice.

Rack stuff never died out, they just got better. I figure, the numbers of players that increased in the early 90's and began "playing" and I use the term loosely, grunge and one finger chord music increased dramatically giving birth to an entire generation of retro guys who didn't know much in the way of gear, and as a result the popularity of guitar rack gear reflects the number shift.

The noobs who have no experience with high end rack gear, do tend to be the guys who protest the loudest. ;)

• Members

Oh, the high end stuff. Is that what we are talking about?

Yah, I can see an old neve console or something like that going up in value.

I was thinking of my old ART multi efffects unit and stuff like that.

No way thats going up in value. That aint no tube compressor.

Unless the morons who are paying top dollar for what are vintage pedals today, that sounded like pieces of crap when they came out, get into rack gear. Hey just look at emo fashions... retro to the 70's... and the guys who want pedals so they can make ambient noises, as opposed to writing songs and learning to play...Those guys may just choose to call the old Zoom gear vintage and decide that it's worth something. :rolleyes:

It's not like TC Electronic's 2290 etc... which still goes for what they did new, and is still a benchmark that hasn't been toppled/surpassed, 22 years after it's release.

• Members

I quit using my rack gear when I got my 5150. There was just something wonderful about plugging my guitar right into the amp and rockin' away. Now most of my rack has trickled back in due to necessity but it was kind of liberating just to play guitar and not the effects. Volume knobs on guitars are there for a reason otherwise there would just be an on/off switch.

• Members

I haven't started a rack because I know it's a new can of worms to open. A preamp and a power amp - oh, need another preamp or two for more flavor. Oh, yeah, you need a power conditioner, and a tuner, and an effects unit, and a switcher...d'oh, there's 10U right there. So much for a little rack rig. :)

• Members

Rack stuff requires to much extra stuff to run it, plus a massive rack of effects is a pain in the ass to move. Unless your using a PA or something similar with a rack mounted power amp, rack mounted effects are to difficult to install and maintain. Plus you often have to do all that annoying scrolling through menus which is frustrating as hell. I like my stomp boxs, because its step on them and turn knobs.

• Members

Plus you often have to do all that annoying scrolling through menus which is frustrating as hell. I like my stomp boxs, because its step on them and turn knobs.

Fair enough. What rack effects menus have you scrolled through?

• Members

i tell ya, some people just don't get it.

having a rack does not mean that it has to be complex. in my case, it's quite the opposite. i have stuff that every guitar player uses (or should) and it's in the most compact easy to use form possible.

in my amp is:

wireless reciever

power supply

tuner

amp

that's it. so all this crap about complexity and maintenance is just that, crap. a rack is no more or less complex than a pedalboard, it's just a hell of a lot easier to deal with. if you like to use lots of FX, a rack would simplify your life. if you like to plug straight in, a rack will simplify your life.

either way, rack wins.

Archived