Is rack gear the next "vintage" trend?

Davetopay

• Members

Zack I share your sentiments as well. It seems like alot of players are real happy just retreading old ground..How many people just want to sound like Hendrix or Page over the years? People shell out big bucks to get old amplifiers that produce sounds that are redundant and cliche at this point..

For the most point I can't understand that but again to each there own. Just dont tell me that MY way isnt valid and everything's cool..
;)

;) Even Page uses Pete Cornish stuff with a multi-amp switching rig on tour now doesn't he... There's a reason for that. I imagine there's a few reasons for that.

1. He can

2. It does what he needs/wants

3. It sounds and performs better than his old rigs (Stands to reason, less noisy etc...)

There are guys who are going for "their" sound/sounds, and there are guys who do club gigs who need to chameleon between several sounds, there are guys who do both, there are guys who are basement/bedroom players (Hobbyists) ALL of varying degrees of proficiency and experience. Some noobs some not. The idea of some asshat acting like all you really need is this or that is ridiculous. How the hell do they know the intent of the user is. They don't they are just sport trolling.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
totally man, I feel like I've got the best of ALL worlds in that rig. I can even swap out other MIDI controllable tube heads in the headshell.

Some say that rig is overblown and to some extent that's true but when I was playing in different types of bands it was amazing handy to have all the tones I needed under the hood in one rig. I'm spoiled by that honestly but again I would like to downsize the rig somewhat as well. The problem is in what I should leave out:confused:

I have decided that a modular approach may solve the dilemma of needing to downsize, but have chosen instead to have several rigs. (small, medium and large) ;):thu:

• Members

Sometimes I get the feeling that the guys in these threads that talk down about rack gear have never really gotten down and dirty with this stuff.
If they had they would know how valuable it can be..

If you're searching for an original sound you're more likey to find it in racks then in a les paul and marshall IMO

Because they HAVEN'T, and your perception is keen.

I remember getting into it with someone once who was going on about pedals needing to be True Bypass, and buffered etc..., and how they "did the rack thing" in a dismissive tone of voice, and when asked to describe what they were running when they "did the rack thing", they came back with (In a very smug tone) an Alesis Midiverb, and an MP1, with a Mosvalve power amp. I couldn't help but giggle at their ridiculous posturing. They were a bit taken back with me laughing in their face. They cam back with. "Oh well, what do you play through"? So I pointed at my rig, to which the comment was "You need all that stuff to play"? I quickly answered no, walked up to the rig and began giving a demo of what was possible with the rig. They disappeared, likely due to embarrassment.

They remind me of the joke, "How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb"? 99, 1 to change the light bulb and 98 to stand around with their arms crossed, saying how they could've done it better.

Archived