Tell me about the Fender Super Reverb....

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Play it first. I've played a couple duds.

It seems like everyone with a damn silverface amp has had it "black faced". I'm not an amp tech, nor am I trying to front like I know what I'm talking about, however some of these "blackfaced amps" I've played just didn't sound good.

If it's like a good condition Blackface Super Reverb, and you like Fender style cleans at all you'll absolutely love the amp.

They're so warm, scooped, 3D sounding and awesome.

I have played it.....on wednesday I stopped in, and it was great. :love: Really great. Sounded just as you described along with very well balanced.

Here's the link again.

http://www.marcsguitarshop.com/ViewItem/1190.aspx

• Members
That one is a year earlier than mine, with slightly different cosmetics. However close enough.

That amp pretty much trumps anything I had before. I really only play it now, or my little Harmony.

It's silly clean for a '61 though. :thu:

• Members
I have a '62 Fender Concert, along with a Silverface Pro Reverb.

Ooooo.......:love:

How would you compare those to the SR and to a bassman?

I had a '67 bassman, but didn't care for it. clean it was very "raw" sounding.....cranked it sounded great, but wouldn't be useable in real life.

• Members
Ooooo.......
:love:

How would you compare those to the SR and to a bassman?

I had a '67 bassman, but didn't care for it. It was very "raw" sounding.....

Concert isn't really close to a Super Reverb. I'd say the Pro Reverb is fairly similar except it's a 2x12 instead of a 4x10. I LOVE the Pro, and gigged it for damn near 7-8 years. The reverb is gorgeous, and when cranked up with my TS9 provides some righteous rock tones.

I have a blackface Bassman as well, but it's currently not working. When pushed into overdrive it was nice, but the cleans were always meh. I'm not positive is was ever working 100% when in my possession. :idk: I carried it as a backup for years. Never needed it.

• Members

WOT is bringing his '61 Super to the ampfest. He says it hangs with his Vibroverb, tonewise. Oh, and his Vibroverb is GOD like. G-O-D like.

Super hangs, but in a different way. VV still sounds better, but the Super is more useable I think.

I'm gonna try and bring both.

I always say get a SR if you wanna play rock, blues, country etc. It will hang with just about any musical stylings you can throw at it.

- WOT

• Members
Concert isn't really close to a Super Reverb. I'd say the Pro Reverb is fairly similar except it's a 2x12 instead of a 4x10. I LOVE the Pro, and gigged it for damn near 7-8 years. The reverb is gorgeous, and when cranked up with my TS9 provides some righteous rock tones.

I have a blackface Bassman as well, but it's currently not working. When pushed into overdrive it was nice, but the cleans were always meh. I'm not positive is was ever working 100% when in my possession.
:idk:
I carried it as a backup for years. Never needed it.

I plan on using my FDII with it.....:love: I'd also like see if my Mesa BottleRocket OD pedal works with it....since it doesn't seem to work with any of my other amps.

I noticed that the reverb was a little noisy when it was up to 5 or greater.
I asked the shop to have it double checked before I come to purchase it tonight.

Yep. The cleans are nice, but they aren't anything to write home about IMO. It was so unforgiving and in your face....I had almost assumed something wasn't right with it? :idk: I do not regret selling it at all.

• Members
I plan on using my FDII with it.....
:love:
I'd also like see if my Mesa BottleRocket OD pedal works with it....since it doesn't seem to work with any of my other amps.

I noticed that the reverb was a little noisy when it was up to 5 or greater.

I asked the shop to have it double checked before I come to purchase it tonight.

Yep. The cleans are nice, but they aren't anything to write home about IMO. It was so unforgiving and in your face....I had almost assumed something wasn't right with it?
:idk:
I do not regret selling it at all.

You had the reverb above 3?? Even at 4-5 on my Pro Reverb it becomes surfer heaven. Beyond that it overpowers the sound and isn't practical for my uses.

• Members

That's what I'm loooking for a nice non-master volume amp, that has amazing cleans.

Do you think it sounds sterile at lower volumes?

No I don't think so. I got some clip somewhere where i play a simple simple riff with a boss rv-3 delay. If I can find it and find a place to host it, I can put it up so you can hear it.

• Members
You had the reverb above 3?? Even at 4-5 on my Pro Reverb it becomes surfer heaven. Beyond that it overpowers the sound and isn't practical for my uses.

I was just testing it.....it sounded worse then an old My Morning Jacket track when past 3 on teh reverb.

It was a little noisy on the vibrato channel, but I think it needs new power tubes.....I had them double check that yesterday too.:mad:

• Members

They started the Super in tweed, IIRC.

The Brown was a 2x10 - I've played one, and it sounded fan-freakin-tastic. Louder than {censored} for a 2x10.

The Super started life as the Dual Professional. I think Billy Gibbons went and bought every one he could find. The name changed to the Super. And then they took Jeb's concert, which was really a brown Bassman, and turned it into the Super Reverb.

I've been up close and personal with 3 Tweed Supers in my lifetime. None of the three ever really turned my crank. Which goes to show there's duds out there as well as gems.

Same with Brown Supers. Out of the 4 or 5 that've passed through the hands of me and my friends, only one was a true gem. The others were "meh". But the good one was absolutely stellar.

• Members

You can make them all sound good. That's the good news. I've played a Dual Professional. It sounded so good I kept offering the guy $$$ but he wouldn't sell. D'oh!

And then they took Jeb's concert, which was really a brown Bassman

In structure only. A 5F6-A will slaughter that Concert tonally.

- WOT

• Members

No, I have to admit that the Concert sounded a lot better than I remembered. It sat in the closet for over a year. But, that's what it is all about, getting something that works for you. The Concert actually favors Les Pauls due to the voicing/design. I'm not the only one who thinks this. Many of my friends who own them think the same thing. The amp sounded awesome with my R8. But, it really does not sound good with Strats. Since you know that is what I like, well . . .

- WOT

Archived