So, I got in another motorcycle accident...

Deicide1

• Members

Mojo sent bro! It's a bummer you are so {censored}ed up.

If you wanna talk about it, let me know - I'm kind of going through the same thing just now, after binning my bike. Found out today I'm gonna need operations on my knee and it'll probably never be right. I think the worst bit is the lack of mobility and how all the little things you can't do build up and you end up frustrated as hell.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
With that bike, you're lucky that's all that happened
:freak:

I cracked some ribs, broke my scapula and got concussion ( with a full face Arai ) on a 99 R1
:cry:
I later bought a 01 R1 and then a 03 before finally selling off due to wanting to stay alive. I still ride a R6 though
:cop:

Good luck with your recovery and just be glad it wasn't any worse ..... ( knowing how fast those bikes are ).

I hear you. As {censored}ty as it is and as bummed out as I am about layed up for long, it's much better than what could hace happened.

Be easy on the R6, that's not much slower!

• Members

Man I would love to ride, but I absolutely stay away from things as much as possible that could cause me to lose the use of my arms/hands/wrists. Guitar playing is way too important to me. Do you think you'll be able to play full speed again?

I would think so, but it will definitely be a while before that. There are major complications with the scaphoid fracture, as the bone has terrible blood supply and has issues healing, so I may need more surgeries down the road to fix it.

I'm just lucky to be in this good of shape. My buddy drove me to where I crashed this past Saturday and it freaked me out. I have no idea how I am even alive.

• Members
Human lightning rod?
:lol:

Are these permanent screws or are they getting removed after healing?

Permanent. One screw into the scaphoid, one plate on my distal radius, and possibly a plate on the ulna depending on how it looks when the doctor opens my arm up.

• Members

Mojo sent bro! It's a bummer you are so {censored}ed up.

If you wanna talk about it, let me know - I'm kind of going through the same thing just now, after binning my bike. Found out today I'm gonna need operations on my knee and it'll probably never be right. I think the worst bit is the lack of mobility and how all the little things you can't do build up and you end up frustrated as hell.

Sorry to hear about your knee.

I'm retiring from riding, I can't risk my life anymore.

• Members

Never have I had anything to drink before riding. There are far too many variables without throwing that in the loop.

I am REALLY not trying to sound like a dick here, because I am an avid motorcyclist and have been for over 20 years, but if you were not drinking and you went off a 10-15 foot cliff, I have to assume that

1: You were going too fast

or

2: You are riding a motorcycle that does not fit you (actual body size and riding experience)

or

3: You were not paying attention , in which case , we are all lucky that you only hurt yourself

PLEASE dont take this post the wrong way. I am not trying to be rude or judgemental, just trying to understand how this accident happened. This is one of the reasons that sport bikes scare me so much. In my experience, a lot of folks who are riding these bikes arent ready for a bike like that, and too often, they have no concern for speed. I hope none of your injuries are serious, and much mojo sent man!!!

• Members

Sorry to hear about your knee.

I'm retiring from riding, I can't risk my life anymore.

I hear what you are saying. If i'd been in a bigger crash I'd be thinking the same. Myself, I've only been riding for 9 months. The thing that gets me now is taking pillions..... the guilt of hurting a pillion would be too much, especially if I caused the accident by riding too fast. I was so glad I didn't have my woman on the back when I had mine.

Depending on how my recovery goes, I might be moving to a cruiser. Can bend the leg far enough back to get on any other kind of bike apart from a scooter just now.

• Members

It happened Memorial Day night at 9:00 pm. I guess I hit gravel in a turn and went off a 10-15 foot cliff into woods and broke down quite a few trees. I don't even remember riding the motorcycle. I only know what my friends told me. I broke a few ribs, got a concussion (still have trouble remembering things) and I broke three bones in my right arm/wrist. I go in for surgery tomorrow morning for a screw and plate in my right wrist and I'll be laid up for another 3 months because I broke my scaphoid in the wrist which is the worst bone to break.

Just thought I would share, since I'll be on here every now and then for quite a while.

Man, that sucks to hear. I hope you recover well. Personally, if it happened to me I'd be getting away from riding bikes, too.

• Members

I am REALLY not trying to sound like a dick here, because I am an avid motorcyclist and have been for over 20 years, but if you were not drinking and you went off a 10-15 foot cliff, I have to assume that

1: You were going too fast

or

2: You are riding a motorcycle that does not fit you (actual body size and riding experience)

or

3: You were not paying attention , in which case , we are all lucky that you only hurt yourself

PLEASE dont take this post the wrong way. I am not trying to be rude or judgemental, just trying to understand how this accident happened. This is one of the reasons that sport bikes scare me so much. In my experience, a lot of folks who are riding these bikes arent ready for a bike like that, and too often, they have no concern for speed. I hope none of your injuries are serious, and much mojo sent man!!!

I've been riding sportbikes for the last 8 years or so...

Two of my friends were behind me and they saw my front tire slip mid-turn and then grab again and I high-sided with the bike off the road and into the woods. From what they have told me we weren't riding hard at all. We are all seasoned riders so, I believe what they said is true. {censored} happens.

• Members

I've been riding sportbikes for the last 8 years or so...

Two of my friends were behind me and they saw my front tire slip mid-turn and then grab again and I high-sided with the bike off the road and into the woods. From what they have told me we weren't riding hard at all. We are all seasoned riders so, I believe what they said is true. {censored} happens.

Don't sweat it man, people who engage in risky behaviors beyond all logic usually have to rationalize it when they come across the evidence of the involved risk. They usually do that by saying it couldn't happen to them because of whatever reason, they're better riders, etc.

The same thing happened in mid 20th century Grand Prix racing. They were losing about 3-4 drivers a year on average. A driver that raced more than 4 years had something of a 50 percent chance of being killed. But most of the drivers blew it off as an acceptable risk because if you were a good driver you wouldn't make a mistake. I think things started changing when Jim Clark was killed in a support race in 1968, and Jim Clark was renowned for his car control and talent. Over the next 5 years after that safety became a bigger and bigger concern and that's why people rarely die in GP racing these days.

Not to knock the guy who was trying to blame you, in a lot of cases I bet he would be right. But sometimes things are truly beyond your control, and in a hobby as dangerous as riding, accepting that risk at face value is tough to do. Rationalizing it is only human.

Sad tos ee that you're giving it up, I've been on the fence about buying a bike for years now. I want one quite badly, but I also like having my face in the configuration it's currently in and being able to walk. THe only reason I didn't buy a bike a couple of years ago (I bought my hot rod instead) was because I figured i wouldn't be able to afford the emergency medical treatment in the event of an accident. I figured if Igot my face ripped off, I'd like to at least be able to afford to put it back on, you know?

I hope you get well soon man. Sounds like a hell of a ride. Must be wild just waking up in your current state and having no idea why, and then having to get all your friends to explain and show you happened. YOu know what they told you about what happened to cause the accident. But if you could remember it, you could potentially recognize a mistake you made, and if you can identify a mistake, you can prevent it from happening again. But you dont recall, and you may not have made a mistake at all.

THat's some crazy {censored} bro. Good luck! Which wrist did you damage? Right or left?

• Members

I've been riding sportbikes for the last 8 years or so.....

We are all seasoned riders so, I believe what they said is true.

8 years of riding is not really all that 'seasoned,' especially in a place like NY, where you're not riding year round. Stuff does happen, but it sounds like you were over-riding the road conditions and/or your bike.

• Members

I've only been riding once since I saw a big motorcycle accident a couple weeks ago. I just got home from work and was gonna go out for a good ride and I saw this thread:freak:

I don't know what to do now...maybe someone's trying to tell me something:confused:

get better man!

• Members
I'm done. It's put too much strain on my life over the years.

Thanks guys.

By the way, has anyone had any screws/plates put in their body? If so are there any complications after it has healed?

My sis had a lot of them. She had a bad wreck and broke her neck back in 01. She's doing good, although she can tell when the weather is changing ;)

I also have a friend that has them in his legs for the same reason you're asking... except he was doing wheelies going 100 mph. :( But they are both good so no worries

Get better bro. Mojo sent

• Members
I imagine I'll be taking hydrocodone after surgery tomorrow, but I'll stop taking it as quickly as possible because it is not a good feeling to me.

I know what you mean man, I had hydrocodone after surgery once and I didnt like it at all. Did nothing for the pain and just made me feel loopy followed by losing chunks of time.

Glad that you are still with us and mojo sent for a speedy recovery. :thu::wave:

• Members

I get the keys to a 2004 honda hornet (known as the cb599 in the states) on Friday, but I won't be able to ride it legally until I complete the Motorcycle safety course and get the endorsement on my license...it's gnna be so tough. Dude is deploying soon and is selling it to me for 900 pounds to include soft bags, tank cover, and bike cover.

I only need a helmet and gloves.

I've heard a lot of stories like this recently. Just the other day a new troop finally got his bike from the states and went for a ride the day he got it and got killed. I guess he wasn't used to the english roads.

The best advice I keep getting is ride like nobody sees you.

Archived