My MarkIV is close to death......literally

petejt

• Members

Yes, indeed it is :cry:

A few weeks back, I posted about how my MarkIV "blew up" where all the lights blinked and it went off, and I smelt a "party popper" smell.

The fuse was blown, and the poweramp valves were getting a bit old and likely needed replacing. Since I was so touchy about the amp, as it's very dear to me, I took it to a recommended Mesa/Boogie service technician to take a look at it.

Well, the technician rang me back today with some very grave news.

He found foil all through the amp, suggesting that one of the capacitors decomposed or came apart, since they have foil inside them.

Something must have failed, and caused a short in the amp. This heated the circuit board so much that it carbonised, and thus conducted the 450 volts of electricity through it, burning a bloody big hole.

What I smelt was the amp literally catching fire!

It's such a shame, as this is the first Mesa/Boogie amp (and a beautiful one at that) that the tech has known of that very likely is a write-off. It's the first he's ever known of failing so much, or requires such attention to repair that it could be FUBAR.

He's taken photos of what it looks like so far. He wanted to ask me if he could go ahead and take the amp completely apart to find the problem, and hopefully fix it.

He told me that he'll get in touch with those that might be able to provide a new circuit board & components, and also get extra advice to help in this serious situation from other Mesa/Boogie techs that are mates of his. Maybe Mesa/Boogie still has MarkIV circuit boards? I hope he gets onto Mike Bendinelli about this.

The cost in repairs might be up to $1,000. I told him that since I am skeptical of being lucky again with scoring such a wonderful amplifier, and that it cost me $2000 in the first place (which was a mega bargain, because to buy it new at the time would have cost over $5,100), that I would be willing to get this one fixed, up to a certain point.

Out of ALL the musical equipment I have, the MarkIV is the heart of my tone. Honestly I could get rid of EVERYTHING and just keep my electric guitar, the MarkIV and its footswitch, my Rockman Stereo Chorus, my Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stiletto cab, and a few cables, and that's all I need.

It's a {censored}en travisty I tell ya now. I don't usually use smileys when I am completely serious, but I really am upset :cry: about this. Oh what a world what a world.....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know you are in Aus, but I would send it right back to Mesa in California. I know he's a certified Mesa tech, but Mesa is usually very reasonable and has been known to fix things like this for free or for a very good price. $1000 to fix any amp is robbery and I honestly wouldn't trust they guy after saying something like that.

• Members

Even though it would be expensive, I would ship the amp to Mesa to evaluate whether it can be legimately salvaged or not. Even though your local tech might be good, I would only trust Mesa themselves to evaluate that kind of extensive damage and whether or not it can be repaired.

Even if your local tech fixed it there's a very good chance it would not sound the same when you plug back in either, maybe for the worse.

• Members

sorry man that really bad news u freakin loved the mark4. {censored} it thought it was a just a shorted resistor or somethin. 1000 is prolly resonable cos theres

{censored} all mark4 in aus and when there is one for sale its like 3000.1000 isnt really that bad cos its a lot of work new board resolder all the components and {censored}.

• Members

I know you are in Aus, but I would send it right back to Mesa in California. I know he's a certified Mesa tech, but Mesa is usually very reasonable and has been known to fix things like this for free or for a very good price. $1000 to fix any amp is robbery and I honestly wouldn't trust they guy after saying something like that.

$1000 was just a ballpark extreme figure. It might just be $500, we won't know until the amp gets opened right up, and each individual problem fixed then the amp closed up again and tested, and repeat, and repeat etc. And those little things are packed together mighty tightly. You can't just leave them open while testing them like big Marshall-like amps.

I don't want to take the risk of sending this amp overseas. I bought it from Rob S. ("Mr. Brady") who went to the effort of packing it inside a specially-constructed wooden box, to ensure it was safe even from the stray forklift forks of Fedex.

And because of that, that's also why I don't want to buy another amp from overseas. I was lucky once, but I'm not so sure if it will happen again.

• Members

I agree with all the guys about sending your amp back to Mesa. They have outstanding costumer service, and they are very interested in hearing of cases where their products suffer massive failures, as they hate that as much as anyone.

At least give them a call and have a chat with them. No disrespect to your tech, he sounds very knowledgeable.

• Members

sorry man that really bad news u freakin loved the mark4. {censored} it thought it was a just a shorted resistor or somethin. 1000 is prolly resonable cos theres

{censored} all mark4 in aus and when there is one for sale its like 3000.1000 isnt really that bad cos its a lot of work new board resolder all the components and {censored}.

Thanks mate. Yeah there's definitely gonna be a lot of work involved, and many hours too which is why I guess he said $1000 bucks as a maximum figure. I hope the circuit isn't too badly burnt through and can be fixed, and maybe just the capacitors need replacing.

If it does cost near $1000 I think I will get a new transformer put in so it can run on 240 volts, even though that is expensive in itself.

• Members

I don't want to take the risk of sending this amp overseas. I bought it from Rob S. ("Mr. Brady") who went to the effort of packing it inside a specially-constructed wooden box, to ensure it was safe even from the stray forklift forks of Fedex.

I would risk overseas shipping to the amp's creators over the local tech, but that's just me. If your amp only needed minor work then that would be a different situation...

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you posted this thread though...so moot point. :p

• Members

I agree with all the guys about sending your amp back to Mesa. They have outstanding costumer service, and they are very interested in hearing of cases where their products suffer massive failures, as they hate that as much as anyone.

At least give them a call and have a chat with them. No disrespect to your tech, he sounds very knowledgeable.

I'll do that. In fact he's probably rung up Mesa/Boogie himself about this, as he really was shocked at what had happened to the amp.

He's not just a regular music shop tech that sets the intonation on guitars & {censored}. He's a certified Mesa/Boogie technician- I saw his workshop where he had amps everywhere, old Hiwatts, Peaveys, Marshalls, you name it everything. He had Mesa/Boogie-branded valves for sale, he had Mesa/Boogie stickers everywhere, even a Mesa/Boogie apron!

If he doesn't feel up to fixing it I'll ask if he'll send it direct to Mesa/Boogie to take a look at it.

I'm really not keen on giving up on this amp and just buying a Mark5 when it's released. Although I think the Mark5 will be great, I don't trust it that much. I might end up buying a Mark5 in the future but I'll still hang onto my MarkIV.

You see in the past I wanted a MarkIIC+, I was so desperate to have one I was pipe-dreaming and then actually seriously planning on building my own MarkIIC+, which was crazy! In fact one of my first threads here on Harmony Central discusses that.

Then I read up on the MarkIV, tried out some other Mesa/Boogie amps (which turned my attention more on the MarkIV), and then came across Rob (Mr. Brady) and that he was selling his. And then when I finally got the MarkIV and played it a bit, I liked it even more and don't care too much for the IIC+ now, I prefer the MarkIV, and it'll always be dear to me.

• Members

dude your post touched me like if you lost a child man. mojo sent.

Thank you. :)

This amp is the closest thing I have to a child. And even when I do have my own kids I'll still regard it as part of my family.

I guess it's like when my housemate's dog got cancer, in the past. He cared so much for his pet that he spent thousands and thousands of dollars for surgery. I saw photos of his dog, the poor thing had scars and stitches all over it from the surgery, and in the end it still ended up having to be put down. He felt gutted.

And I'd do the same, whether it'd be for my pet, child, sibling, parent, relation, or amplifier.

• Members

I would risk overseas shipping to the amp's creators over the local tech, but that's just me. If your amp only needed minor work then that would be a different situation...

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you posted this thread though...so moot point.
:p

Well, the amp is already sitting at the tech's workshop, so he may as well do as much as he can (at least find the source of the problem) while it is there.

I haven't completely decided against sending the amp overseas, it's just that I want to get as much done while it is still here.

I don't want to give up on this amp.

• Members

Where's the pictures? I find it hard to believe the amp self destructed so badly it will cost that much to repair.

Jerry

He has them. I haven't seen it yet.

The bloke that recommended me the tech, strongly advised me NOT to bother them otherwise it would piss them off, because they've copped crap from weird-arse stalkers and {censored} that would stake out the workshop and constantly bug them demanding stuff to get done immediately at the drop of a hat etc.

The tech has been pretty cool to me so far, probably because I haven't bothered him, so I think it's fair to just keep leaving him alone to do the job, rather than go over there and poke through his workshop to see what's going on.

I'll let him at it for another week (they always have heaps of work to do) and when he rings me again I'll go over and visit.

I reckon that a capacitor just failed so badly (as possible because there was loose foil around in the amp) that it shorted out, and since capacitors have so much electricity stored in them, released it all and burnt the circuit board, causing the fuse to blow, and possibly fry the other components too.

Somehow I feel that when I first got the amp, I should have got all the capacitors replaced in the first place.

If he does give me the pictures (which I reckon he might later on), I'll post them here.

Thanks for your support Jerry.

• Members

$1000 was just a ballpark extreme figure. It might just be $500, we won't know until the amp gets opened right up, and each individual problem fixed then the amp closed up again and tested, and repeat, and repeat etc. And those little things are packed together mighty tightly. You can't just leave them open while testing them like big Marshall-like amps.

And because of that, that's also why I don't want to buy another amp from overseas. I was lucky once, but I'm not so sure if it will happen again.

Aw {censored} man, I just saw this thread. That sucks. I hate to hear that, I liked that amp a lot too. To let you know, the Cost of shipping that sucker was $450 through fed ex, so you could be looking at a large shipping bill. I don't know how much it would be to send it post, but there is no tracking and they aren't very careful with their stuff, but if it's that or a complete write off it it may be worth it. I'd also call Mesa to see how much it would be for a replacement board fully loaded shipped to you and you could have your tech wire it up. Just see what your options are.

• Members

i had a mark IV that i bought as non working.

i couldn't get it going, and the board was arcing when i turned it on, so i sent it to mesa.

they told me the circuit board was fried beyond repair, and that they were going to have to install a whole new main board.

they did it, and it ended up costing me like 300 plus shipping both ways.

thats for a whole new main board, where 95% of the circuit is. the only things not on that are the pots, jacks and trannys! he told me i was basicly getting a new amp back with that board being replaced.

when i got it back, it worked and sounded good as new. kinda makes you wonder why they charge 1899 for a new one :D

$1000 is rediculous. call mike bendinelli at boogie, send it to him.

• Members

He has them. I haven't seen it yet.

The bloke that recommended me the tech, strongly advised me NOT to bother them otherwise it would piss them off, because they've copped crap from weird-arse stalkers and {censored} that would stake out the workshop and constantly bug them demanding stuff to get done immediately at the drop of a hat etc.

The tech has been pretty cool to me so far, probably because I haven't bothered him, so I think it's fair to just keep leaving him alone to do the job, rather than go over there and poke through his workshop to see what's going on.

I'll let him at it for another week (they always have heaps of work to do) and when he rings me again I'll go over and visit.

I reckon that a capacitor just failed so badly (as possible because there was loose foil around in the amp) that it shorted out, and since capacitors have so much electricity stored in them, released it all and burnt the circuit board, causing the fuse to blow, and possibly fry the other components too.

Somehow I feel that when I first got the amp, I should have got all the capacitors replaced in the first place.

If he does give me the pictures (which I reckon he might later on), I'll post them here.

Thanks for your support Jerry.

Wow... I think it sucks that you have to deal with "toutchy" people on top of the amp being in the OR.

The foil in the capacitor might of created shorts in the amplifier, causing other components to also fry. Capacitors do not usually go flying with a whole lot of charge. When they blow, that energy is what causes the 'explosion'.

I just don't see it becomming a molten mess in there. The fuse should of blown, or something would of openened.

-D

Archived