My MarkIV is close to death......literally

petejt

• Members

Sorry dude, I had to hold back in this thread. It's pretty simple. You are in Aus, you take the amp to 87-89 Gladstone Street Fyshwick. If what you say is true (and Boogie have read this) it is faulty manufacturing. I'm sure you are a nice guy but there is too much bull{censored} in this thread.

He probably did send it to Pro Audio or at least contact them about it.

Ha, even Mike Bendinelli himself said to ask if Pro Audio knew about this situation.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The guy should order a new board from Boogie, IMO--
and
I would have another tech beside the guy he's been talking to--install it.

Well, he hasn't yet from what I know, but might have.

Mike Bendinelli just confirmed that Mesa/Boogie still has boards for MarkIV amps.

• Members

Pete, why would you bring it to a tech that is said to have a bad attitude?

Well, I never experienced his bad attitude myself. In fact to me he was pretty cool and easy going. I was just told by someone else who I know doesn't talk bull{censored}, that the tech might go off the wrong foot if I bothered him.

Since I care so much about my amp (within financial limits) that I didn't want to take the risk of bugging the guy.

Plus he's the only Mesa/Boogie tech in Western Australia.

Anyway he did say he'd contact Pro Audio Supplies (the guys in Fyshwick) so it's probably almost fixed (I hope).

• Members
How much did it cost ou to ship to your doorstep?

I do remember the ridiculous cost I had to pay to Customs so they'd let it into the country :mad: .

Here I quote verbatim my reply to Customs:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Please give me a detailed explanation of the reason why the full amount charged to me, is $452.49.

I sincerely consider that the charge is quite excessive for a shipment whose value was $1600 USD. A total of $2000 USD was agreed to, and payed, to cover for shipping & insurance. I have consulted the person that I made the transaction with, and he guessed the fee would be only $100. He deliberately only charged me $2000 USD for everything, so I would not get hit by a huge duty fee. I told him of the charge stated, and he strongly agrees that it is severely unfair, especially when he went to great lengths to charge me the most minimum amount as possible.

Inspecting an electronic device such as a guitar amplifier, which would involve carefully removing the product from its specially-constructed wooden box to protect it from damage during shipment; carefully removing the front or back panels to access the interior; carefully removing the bubble wrap which was placed to protect the electronic circuits' inspecting the interior for any suspicious stowing away of illicit drugs or material without damaging the internal electronic circuits; and very carefully putting everything back together as was found at the beginning of the Customs inspection, should not cost $451.92 to conduct.

Again, I ask for a detailed & thorough explanation why I have been charged the excessive amount of $451.92, and I also reccommend that the amount be reviewed in regards to the statements I presented in this letter."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

• Members
I do remember the ridiculous cost I had to pay to Customs so they'd let it into the country
:mad:

Here I quote verbatim my reply to Customs:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Please give me a detailed explanation of the reason why the full amount charged to me, is $452.49.

I sincerely consider that the charge is quite excessive for a shipment whose value was $1600 USD. A total of $2000 USD was agreed to, and payed, to cover for shipping & insurance. I have consulted the person that I made the transaction with, and he guessed the fee would be only $100. He deliberately only charged me $2000 USD for everything,
so I would not get hit by a huge duty fee
. I told him of the charge stated, and he strongly agrees that it is
severely unfair
especially when he went to great lengths to charge me the most minimum amount as possible

Inspecting an electronic device such as a guitar amplifier, which would involve carefully removing the product from its specially-constructed wooden box to protect it from damage during shipment; carefully removing the front or back panels to access the interior; carefully removing the bubble wrap which was placed to protect the electronic circuits' inspecting the interior for any suspicious stowing away of illicit drugs or material without damaging the internal electronic circuits; and very carefully putting everything back together as was found at the beginning of the Customs inspection,
should not cost $451.92 to conduct

Again, I ask for a detailed & thorough explanation why I have been charged the excessive amount of $451.92, and I also reccommend that the amount be reviewed in regards to the statements I presented in this letter."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

that would be import taxes bro :(

sorry to hear about your amp, i might try to send back a mesa to aus in the future from canada....I pop down to LA (hollywood shop) from time to time so let me know if you ever want help

• Members
that would be import taxes bro
:(

sorry to hear about your amp, i might try to send back a mesa to aus in the future from canada....I pop down to LA (hollywood shop) from time to time so let me know if you ever want help

Thanks mate.

Yeah I gotta say it was comforting when Mike Bendinelli said that the amp should be okay as long as a new board is put in. It might cost a few hundred bucks but I'd be prepared to pay it as I don't want to go through the rigmarole of buying an amp from overseas again. I'm glad I got it from Rob, he was very helpful about it, but that import tax {censored} really got me.

I'll ring Ettrick today. I also got some advice to ask Peter Nessfield in Hamilton Hill, he might be able to help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I got a call from the tech and the amp is FIXED! :)

I'm going to pick it up on Thursday, and get to try out some different valves in it (including a few SPAX7s) to see what sounds the best.

But it's pretty costly though :( . Labour, new board (the original board & components got completely fried), shipping the board, new output transformer that will run on 240volts, all new valves, plus GST= $1,890. :eek:

• Members
I got a call from the tech and the amp is FIXED!
:)

I'm going to pick it up on Thursday, and get to try out some different valves in it (including a few SPAX7s) to see what sounds the best.

But it's pretty costly though
. Labour, new board (the original board & components got completely fried), shipping the board, new output transformer that will run on 240volts, all new valves, plus GST=
$1,890
:eek:

:eek: Well, at least you're getting it back in one piece. :wave:

• Members

. Labour, new board (the original board & components got completely fried), shipping the board, new output transformer that will run on 240volts, all new valves, plus GST= $1,890.

Holy crap!:eek::eek:

So was it the output transformer being mismatched that caused the problem?

• Members

. Labour, new board (the original board & components got completely fried), shipping the board, new output transformer that will run on 240volts, all new valves, plus GST= $1,890.

wait, you just paid almost 2 grand to have an amp fixed??

• Members
he probably meant the power transformer

Correct.

Yep I {censored}ed up there sorry :facepalm: . I was so excited that I got them confused.

Basically there must have been a power surge in the mains power supply, and that got into the amp and thus fried everything, as far as I know.

More details tomorrow.

• Members
patch it up half-assed and sell it on ebay
:thu:

noooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!! I'd never sell that thing!

The amp itself is fine, still looks new. The main circuit board is replaced though, and a new power transformer so it'll run on 240 volts. Also all new valves so that would have added a lot to the cost.

The labour charge will be $400 though :eek:

• Members
Well, at least you're getting it back in one piece.
:wave:

Thanks mate :thu:

I'm picking it up tomorrow! Gotta head down to Freo first to get my guitar (had no time to get the wiring fixed, plus I'm scouting other amp techs), then over to Morley to pick up the MarkIV.

• Members

w00t! I got my MarkIV back this evening! 'tis in great shape!

Some pics too that I'll upload later.

I managed to get the cost down too, thank goodness :) . They were really cool about the whole thing and let me into the workshop to test the amp out, also to try different SPAX7 valves for the V1 position. I chose one that had a really nice chime to it, sounds lovely. Even gave be a beer, and a good one too! (no cheap {censored}).

• Members

It was probably good beer on your dime :)

Glad you got the amp back kind sir!!!

:thu:

w00t! I got my MarkIV back this evening! 'tis in great shape!

Some pics too that I'll upload later.

I managed to get the cost down too, thank goodness
. They were really cool about the whole thing and let me into the workshop to test the amp out, also to try different SPAX7 valves for the V1 position. I chose one that had a really nice chime to it, sounds lovely. Even gave be a beer, and a good one too! (no cheap {censored}).

• Members
+1

It's alright, it's already done. :)

I spoke directly to Mike Bendinelli and got some good explanations of what may have happened, which after what I've seen today do seem likely. I also got confirmation that they sent a new circuit board to the tech, and just this arvo I dropped in to see him and was very pleased that my MarkIV is ship shape!

Archived