My MarkIV is close to death......literally

petejt

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow... I think it sucks that you have to deal with "toutchy" people on top of the amp being in the OR.

The foil in the capacitor might of created shorts in the amplifier, causing other components to also fry. Capacitors do not usually go flying with a whole lot of charge. When they blow, that energy is what causes the 'explosion'.

I just don't see it becomming a molten mess in there. The fuse should of blown, or something would of openened.

-D

I was told he was very touchy, so I was careful with him & his company. But to me he was pretty cool & easy going.

The amp is definitely intact. I guess I won't fully know how bad it was until I see the photos.

• Members

Aw {censored} man, I just saw this thread. That sucks. I hate to hear that, I liked that amp a lot too. To let you know, the Cost of shipping that sucker was $450 through fed ex, so you could be looking at a large shipping bill. I don't know how much it would be to send it post, but there is no tracking and they aren't very careful with their stuff, but if it's that or a complete write off it it may be worth it. I'd also call Mesa to see how much it would be for a replacement board fully loaded shipped to you and you could have your tech wire it up. Just see what your options are.

Thanks Rob.

Yeah in fact it was the tech's idea to order a replacement board from Mesa/Boogie and then he'll wire it up. I think that might be the only way.

I think at the same time, if it all comes to under $1000, I'll get it fully revalved rather than just change V1.

• Members

If this ends up costing more than 500 bucks id be calling consumer affairs.

I could get a new circuit board for thirty bucks, take out all the good parts from the old pcb, load them up, say another 100 bucks for the crispy ones and your pretty much done.

Would take about three hours work. 3*75 = 230.

400 bucks is generous man.

This bloke is robbing ya, take it someone who knows what they are doing, or at least get a second quote.

You would get a second opinion from a doctor if it was serious no?

• Members

I used to work as an electronic technician mate, trust me, get a circuit diagram and send it off to a cct board manufacturer, any one on the net would be fine

40 bucks tops

it would only cost you a few bucks if you where ordering like ten thousand, but since you only want one its going to be heaps more expensive.

Just make sure you order the right thickness of the cct board, something tells me it will be thicker than typical

Where in Aus are you? I am tempted to fix it myself for you.

• Members

I used to work as an electronic technician mate, trust me, get a circuit diagram and send it off to a cct board manufacturer, any one on the net would be fine

Even authorized Mesa techs cannot get circuit diagrams. Mesa keeps this under tight lock and key. Trust me there is NO WAY you are getting your hands on that...specially for a Mark series.

Also, I've never once heard of an amp tech doing that. While I agree that the price is a rip off, usually they will order a new, pre-populated board from the amp manufacturer if the board is really completely destroyed. I highly doubt it is though.

Pete, why would you bring it to a tech that is said to have a bad attitude?

• Members

$1000 was just a ballpark extreme figure. It might just be $500, we won't know until the amp gets opened right up, and each individual problem fixed then the amp closed up again and tested, and repeat, and repeat etc. And those little things are packed together mighty tightly. You can't just leave them open while testing them like big Marshall-like amps.

I don't want to take the risk of sending this amp overseas. I bought it from Rob S. ("Mr. Brady") who went to the effort of packing it inside a specially-constructed wooden box, to ensure it was safe even from the stray forklift forks of Fedex.

And because of that, that's also why I don't want to buy another amp from overseas. I was lucky once, but I'm not so sure if it will happen again.

How much did it cost ou to ship to your doorstep?

• Members

Even authorized Mesa techs cannot get circuit diagrams. Mesa keeps this under tight lock and key. Trust me there is NO WAY you are getting your hands on that...specially for a Mark series.

Also, I've never once heard of an amp tech doing that. While I agree that the price is a rip off, usually they will order a new, pre-populated board from the amp manufacturer if the board is really completely destroyed. I highly doubt it is though.

Pete, why would you bring it to a tech that is said to have a bad attitude?

Ok, not cct diagram, draw it out, simple.

• Members

oh yea and you don't think they have drawings of the space shuttle, {censored} its not the space shuttle.

You have to consider that most people are not very circuit litterate and do not know how to draw it properly. It would take me a while to draw a proper diagram of the circuit, and I built my own amp (dual recto). Imagine somebody who's experience extends to changing tubes!

Its a good idea though to get it sketched though.

-D

• Members

Sorry dude, I had to hold back in this thread. It's pretty simple. You are in Aus, you take the amp to 87-89 Gladstone Street Fyshwick. If what you say is true (and Boogie have read this) it is faulty manufacturing. I'm sure you are a nice guy but there is too much bull{censored} in this thread.

• Members

Sorry dude, I had to hold back in this thread. It's pretty simple. You are in Aus, you take the amp to 87-89 Gladstone Street Fyshwick.
If what you say is true (and Boogie have read this) it is faulty manufacturing.
I'm sure you are a nice guy but there is too much bull{censored} in this thread.

Not necessarily... IF it was the cap going bad... Caps have 10-15 year shelf life, and may have been a supplier issue not a manufacturing one. IF a Power tube had a hard short, he may have shot his grid resistors and/likely anode and cathodes, which again wouldn't be Mesa's fault.

• Members

Point taken Zach, but there are 2 threads about it as a quest for a quick fix.

Ya... the idea that a tech is going to map out the PC traces on a board that has a hole burnt in it doesn't appear to be the most efficient/likely way to get the board working/replaced.

The guy should order a new board from Boogie, IMO-- and I would have another tech beside the guy he's been talking to--install it.

Archived