Which Marshalls had the SS pre amp and a tube power amp?

david k

• Members

1. Solid-state does not appeal to people
2. An amp which already has the most expensive parts of tube amps (power and output transformers as well as power tubes) doesn't turn significantly more expensive when few preamp tubes are added. An "all-tube" amp makes better sales. In modern amps the preamp is still likely filled with all kinds of SS circuitry anyway.
3. Who says this kind of hybrid "hasn't caught on"? There are plenty of amp models with SS pre and tube output. How do you count it. If there are 2 preamp tubes (four gain stages) and a lot more gain stages made with SS circuitry will it still qualify as SS pre?.... There are even more amps that are like this.

• Members

Fair enough. I was just basing my question on the fact that you can get an artist, musicman, or Peavey VT for a fraction of the cost of an "all tube" amp and they are all good sounding amps regardless of whether or not SS appeals to you. Especially amongst people aound here. People sing the praises of tubes and then stick a $75 box in front of it. Doesn't make much sense to me. People get too hung up on "all tube." Maybe that's why as far as I'm concerned they never caught on.

• Members

1. Solid-state does not appeal to people

2. An amp which already has the most expensive parts of tube amps (power and output transformers as well as power tubes) doesn't turn significantly more expensive when few preamp tubes are added. An "all-tube" amp makes better sales. In modern amps the preamp is still likely filled with all kinds of SS circuitry anyway.

3. Who says this kind of hybrid "hasn't caught on"? There are plenty of amp models with SS pre and tube output. How do you count it. If there are 2 preamp tubes (four gain stages) and a lot more gain stages made with SS circuitry will it still qualify as SS pre?.... There are even more amps that are like this.

...which is only loosely similar to the amp mentioned by the OP. I'm referring solely to 100% (or close to it) SS pres and tube posts.

• Members

This has both tube pre and front end modelling capabilities as alluded by the following...

...which is only loosely similar to the amp mentioned by the OP. I'm referring solely to 100% (or close to it) SS pres and tube posts.

Spider valve does not have a tube preamp...

• Members

Spider valve does not have a tube preamp...

Modeling + Tubes

The Spider Valve design combines 12AX7 preamp tubes with Line 6's signature modeling front-end, a marriage that allows each part of the sonic equation to deliver what it does best: creamy, cascading distortion and enriched harmonics from the tubes, and 12 of the world's finest amp models and seven stunning effects from the modeling front end.

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about and it's either MF or unnamed internet guy...

• Members
900's....

:D

Thats funny! (your avatar looks very familiar for some reason)

The reason I was asking about the ss pre / tube pwr is I was thinking about getting the JMP1 rackmount tube pre amp and then pairing that up with a tube power amp without having to spend the $$$ on a tube head:thu:

But that was just a thought....:facepalm:

I'm just gonna save up for a JCM800......:blah::blah:

• Members

From technical point of view, there really are no such things as "preamp tubes". In audio applications, there are either "power tubes", which are tubes that can handle enough power to provide a significant amount of power amplification

• Members
Thats funny! (your avatar looks very familiar for some reason)

The reason I was asking about the ss pre / tube pwr is I was thinking about getting the JMP1 rackmount tube pre amp and then pairing that up with a tube power amp without having to spend the $$$ on a tube head:thu:

But that was just a thought....
:facepalm:

I'm just gonna save up for a JCM800......
:blah:
:blah:

Hmmm - my avatar is a sunset in Denmark... maybe you just spend too much time on this board ;)

The problem with the 800 is of course that it is very much a one trick pony as opposed to the JMP-1 - then again, they do sound nice...

Yup, getting gear means making decisions :D

Archived