Is this a good example of Cliff Burton's playing?

Digital Jams

• Members

I made a thread a while back asking if Burton was overrated (which I still think, though I don't deny he was a good musician). I got flamed to hell and back.
:o

You deserve to get flamed to hell and back. :)

Cliff {censored}ing ruled.

how could you go from that cool {censored}ing song to "Cliff overrated" in two days time?

You're an enigma Mr. Thinkpad...an enigma.

• Members
Well ok then.

I guess I come from another area of bass playing cause I am not feeling it
:confused:

we are in agreement....strange, I know....but stranger things have happened..hehe

seriously, I don't know what the big deal with the guy was either..was he solid? Sure....I don't think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread though...

• Members

we are in agreement....strange, I know....but stranger things have happened..hehe

seriously, I don't know what the big deal with the guy was either..was he solid? Sure....I don't think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread though...

It wasn't just in his PLAYING. I don't know, maybe you just had to be around back then to appreciate it. It was the overall role that Cliff played in the band, with his composition skills combined with the fact that you had a metal band arrive where, all of a sudden, you could actually HEAR the bass parts. Combine that with a brutal attitude and stage presence that Cliff had...well...it was just the overall package.

• Members

I always had a hard time hearing the bass in most Metallica songs. Kill 'Em All was an exception - it seemed to be really present and easy to pick out. But Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets, aside from "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and "Orion": I have trouble hearing it. Granted, haven't listened to 'em in a long while and when I did it was through a car stereo

• Members

It wasn't just in his PLAYING. I don't know, maybe you just had to be around back then to appreciate it. It was the overall role that Cliff played in the band, with his composition skills combined with the fact that you had a metal band arrive where, all of a sudden, you could actually HEAR the bass parts. Combine that with a brutal attitude and stage presence that Cliff had...well...it was just the overall package.

maybe...but I have to say that I could hardly hear his bass parts in RTL and MOP....I knwo they're there, but I have to struggle to listen to them...

other bands like megadeth, testament, maiden, anthrax..all had good/great bassplayers that you could hear as well...

it's just my opinion that I think there were other bassplayers that were better than he was..just going from what they commited to tape

• Members

many guitarists will never understand

they need to hear blazing lead after blazing lead to think a string instrumentalist is worthy of praise

• Members

maybe...but I have to say that I could hardly hear his bass parts in RTL and MOP....I knwo they're there, but I have to struggle to listen to them...

other bands like megadeth, testament, maiden, anthrax..all had good/great bassplayers that you could hear as well...

it's just my opinion that I think there were other bassplayers that were better than he was..just going from what they commited to tape

well...considering your rather well thought out rebuttal I'll just have to resort to the following:

I'm right and you're wrong.

Archived