Name a popular artist you never understood the appeal of

Swingfinger

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In reponse to 8. Ya the hole straight edge thing got out of hand but it produced some good bands(Refused for example).

hahaha... Refused was not a straight edge band...

EDIT: Actually, that's kind of hearsay I guess... (but isn't that what the internet is for?lol) It's just when I think of sXe I think of DC in the early 80's... the whole dischord movement... Minor Threat, Government issue, SOA etc... IMO there's way better examples of sXe bands that actually pioneered the straight edge movement.

• Members

And Jonas Brothers. Theyre not even attractive young lads selling on sex appeal liek N'Sync or something. Theyre ugly. And crappy. And there the biggest band in America.

But thank god I have Muse to make all the bad music stay away!

Oh, Jonas Brothers... They're just tween disney crap. In a couple of years, one will end up in rehab for drug addiction, one will come out with a sex tape and the other will come out of the closet.

And muse = perfection.

• Members

I can agree with some of these and chuckle over some of the others. what keeps coming up in this list is mannerisms. somebody mentioned creed as a vedder-ripoff, but I never could listen to vedder in the first place. his phrasing struck me as so unnatural and just wrong....like the worst of bono when he's doing his dramatic-breathing thing.

but those are often the things that fans latch on to, and that's why I can't get worked up about who likes who anymore. as a kid I loved abba when everyone was digging aerosmith, and later I loved brit-punk when everyone was STILL digging aerosmith and the evil trio (stones/who/doors).

but one singer, one singer who still mystifies me . . . janis frickin' joplin. seems like she was a sweet stoner gal, but god, what a trainwreck of a singer.

• Members

I can agree with some of these and chuckle over some of the others. what keeps coming up in this list is mannerisms. somebody mentioned creed as a vedder-ripoff, but I never could listen to vedder in the first place. his phrasing struck me as so unnatural and just
wrong
....like the worst of bono when he's doing his dramatic-breathing thing.

but those are often the things that fans latch on to, and that's why I can't get worked up about who likes who anymore. as a kid I loved abba when everyone was digging aerosmith, and later I loved brit-punk when everyone was STILL digging aerosmith and the evil trio (stones/who/doors).

but one singer, one singer who still mystifies me . . .
janis
frickin'
joplin
. seems like she was a sweet stoner gal, but god, what a trainwreck of a singer.

Wow...I love Eddie Vedder. Obviously he writes great lyrics, but on top of that I think his voice is very unique and almost always matching pitch when I see him live.

And Janis Joplin....in my opinion...greatest female rock singer I've ever heard in my entire life...not a big fan of her music though.

• Members
I'll start.... cannibal corpse
:facepalm:

does there fan base consist of serial killers and rapists or something?

See I think when it comes to Cannibal Corpse (and most death metal for that matter) the vocals is what turns musicians off....But if listen past the vocals and listen to what the music you'll realize these guys are brilliant...And watching them live is unREAL, they play those guitars like it's nothing, dont even break a sweat....I'm not saying all death metal is good, because there is more {censored} out there than anything else....but cmon as a musician you have to a least respect the chops....especially their newer stuff.....

• Members

Bob Dylan- I doesn't matter how good the lyrics are if the singer sounds like he took a shot of battery acid.

Nirvana- I think he only got so popular because he died. Alice in Chains and SoundGarden did a much better job at the grunge thing.

Sex Pistols- Really, they suck.

• Members

I think that overall, the mainstream success that certain artists enjoy will never be enjoyed by fellow musicians. I think Hinder and Nickelback and Creed and many others that are out, or have been out, will just fade away and give birth to a new era of whatever you want to call it. Remember when Smashmouth was out? What happened to them? Who really cares? I'm glad to say that I haven't seen anyone misunderstand the popularity of Incubus- I love how they're always evolving and how their albums are different. The Chili Peppers are very popular, yet very talented. It's easy to see why they're popular- they're enduring and talented.

• Members

See I think when it comes to Cannibal Corpse (and most death metal for that matter) the vocals is what turns musicians off....But if listen past the vocals and listen to what the music you'll realize these guys are brilliant...And watching them live is unREAL, they play those guitars like it's nothing, dont even break a sweat....I'm not saying all death metal is good, because there is more {censored} out there than anything else....but cmon as a musician you have to a least respect the chops....especially their newer stuff.....

One of my pals has exceptionally wide taste -- and a penchant for the morbid and angry -- and has exposed me to a small but select range of black metal and I have to say that the charms of that necrophilia-and-dismemberment obsessed genre continue to escape me.

I once talked to a guy who ran a tire making machine at the old Firestone plant in LA. Every minute he pumped out something like 15 tires (or his part of the process). Hundreds an hour. This was 30 years ago and the process was not automated -- it relied on near-perfect timing and incredible resilience and determination by the operator, an enormous amount of skill. Talent, even, I suppose.

• Members

Bob Dylan- I doesn't matter how good the lyrics are if the singer sounds like he took a shot of battery acid.

Nirvana- I think he only got so popular because he died. Alice in Chains and SoundGarden did a much better job at the grunge thing.

You never step into the same battery acid twice... er... no, I meant Dylan. I find much of his later work very much not to my liking, neither singiner nor writing. But at other times, his singing has been serviceable and his writing not without merit. But -- in his prime -- his aggressive, edgy, and toneless (but not tuneless, eh?) vocals, his keening, ear-ripping harmonica and his corrosively earnest lyrics, his dark and knife-edged humor, and his phantasmagoric casts of characters really achieved a level of artistic actualization seldom achieved. In his moment, he was amazing.

With regard to Nirvana vs, AiC and or SoundGarden, I'd say the only thing those bands really have in common was the scene. They are so different as to be difficult to compare. Nirvana's essential folk rock/punk roots are entirely different than the other bands. I can understand that some might find them simplistic and/or find the lyrical content annoyingly obscure -- but for those who like raw and vital outsider pop [hard to think of it as 'outsider' in light of subsequent success but think about when the album came out], they were not at all without strong charms.

There's been so much truly awful punk rock (and that was a genre I identified strongly with in the late 70s) since then and a certain jaded approach is perhaps understandable -- there's none of the shock of newly broken rules for those coming to the Pistols three decades later. It's easy to disrespect the Pistols in some ways: they were an assembled band, like the Monkees or Peter, Paul, and Mary, but there was so much chaos in that mix that what came out of the process was as unpredictable as the endings of their songs once seemed. And, at their best, there's a rage and honesty in Lyrdon's lyrics that, coupled the particularly raw but intrinsically traditionalist rock and roll of the band, really spoke for people around the world who felt disenfranchised from the mainstream culture product of white bread disco and overblown soft rock from aging 60s stars.

• Members

Weirdly, these are three of my favorites.

• Members

Van Morrison, ELO, KISS (I think KISS stole Alice Cooper's act), Led Zepplin, anything McCartney/Wings, same for the BeeGee's (even earlier than disco though Trafalagr had a couple songs), Janis Joplin's corroded pipes, Hendrix, The Doors, the GuessWho (Burton Cummings was gay, eh?), much of the Beatles and Stones, Bread, Cream and other flora/fawna band names, Donovon, Dion, etc...

I actually liked Dylan for his writing and boldness. It took big ones to push air through those pipes in public. I'd say the same about Joplin but I just didn't get her act at all. And, she was pretty hard to look at.

• Members

hahaha... Refused was not a straight edge band...

EDIT: Actually, that's kind of hearsay I guess... (but isn't that what the internet is for?lol) It's just when I think of sXe I think of DC in the early 80's... the whole dischord movement... Minor Threat, Government issue, SOA etc... IMO there's way better examples of sXe bands that actually pioneered the straight edge movement.

Straight Edge isn't really a genre its more of a lifestyle... Refused were a hardcore/punk band who just happened to be straight edge vegans. Its kind of a fuzzy topic. Is "Anarcho" punk really a genre or just the bands political affiliation/lifestyle attached to a genre in an attempt to create a subculture/genre?

• Members
I think that overall, the mainstream success that certain artists enjoy will never be enjoyed by fellow musicians. I think Hinder and Nickelback and Creed and many others that are out, or have been out, will just fade away and give birth to a new era of whatever you want to call it. Remember when Smashmouth was out? What happened to them? Who really cares? I'm glad to say that I haven't seen anyone misunderstand the popularity of Incubus- I love how they're always evolving and how their albums are different. The Chili Peppers are very popular, yet very talented. It's easy to see why they're popular- they're enduring and talented.

I've been a fan of Incubus since FA and with the exception of FA and SCIENCE I have liked each album less and less. Morning View and Make yourself were Excellent, but it seems like as they aged they lost their edge and sense of adventure. They say they never want to make the same album but they drift more into mainstream pop rock with each release. I am on the fence with Light Grenades. I think I did enjoy it more than Crow Left and it did have some great highlights. Maybe Incubus will dig deep and pull something out of left field but until than I've kind of lost interest. They do put on one hell of a live show though :)

• Members

I was more into Crow vs Light Grenades- it's taken quite a bit for me to get into LG. Agreed, I love their early early stuff, namely S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and FA- I think Make Yourself is one of the last albums that I like in it's fullest existence. I listened to Morning View and Crow awhile ago, and it doesn't have the same effect it did growing up, that's for sure. I think if people listen to Crow and LG, they can see Incubus maturing which can be a positive or a negative, depending on who you ask.

• Members

Mutant bastard children...

Actually, though, I haven't heard them. But I saw a picture. You could tell just by looking.

:D

________

Important political correctness note: I firmly believe there is no such thing as an illegitimate child. I'm not even sure there are illegitimate parents.

Archived