Name a popular artist you never understood the appeal of

Swingfinger

• Members

I was more into Crow vs Light Grenades- it's taken quite a bit for me to get into LG. Agreed, I love their early early stuff, namely S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and FA- I think Make Yourself is one of the last albums that I like in it's fullest existence. I listened to Morning View and Crow awhile ago, and it doesn't have the same effect it did growing up, that's for sure. I think if people listen to Crow and LG, they can see Incubus maturing which can be a positive or a negative, depending on who you ask.

For some reason "Morning view" went from being one of the most uplifting ablums for me to one of the most depressing. Its heartfelt, so, thats good.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the first time in years, I had a love/hate feel for the album. Overall, it's a good album. It takes me back to a really fun time in my life, and trying to go back to those times bring out the hate in it. If I were the same person now as I was back then, I'd still probably love this album. I agree, this is probably one of the most heartfelt albums to come out in awhile.

• Members

For the first time in years, I had a love/hate feel for the album. Overall, it's a good album. It takes me back to a really fun time in my life, and trying to go back to those times bring out the hate in it. If I were the same person now as I was back then, I'd still probably love this album. I agree, this is probably one of the most heartfelt albums to come out in awhile.

I have no idea who the band is or what it's about. I do know where you are though, having been there, and I send my best wishes for sustained sanity.

• Members

The album at hand is Incubus' Morning View. When it came out 7 years, almost 8 years ago, I was an early teen. Morning View saw me through the junior high years and high school years and it was a very uplifting album for me at the time. Now, however, it really doesn't have much of that effect on me. I like it more for nostalgic reasons than any right now. I used to be able to listen to Morning View over and over but now, maybe once or twice every few months if that.

• Members

It sure is. I think Morning View is an album that's helped me with music, and being where I am now. Metallica's Black Album opened the door for me musically almost 20 years ago, and Morning View definitely got me into learning guitar. Those two albums will always have a special part for me, most definitely.

• Members

Coldplay--I don't hate them. They've got a few good songs, (that song from the iPod commercial is exceptionally good), but an entire album of theirs will put you to sleep.

Thank you. Ditto.

To me they sound like U2 minus Bono and fronted by Dave Matthews.

Another one is Radiohead -- which I really do dig, mainly because I've produced electronica in the past and appreciate them incorporating electronic elements with their rock...but their fans and the rock critics seem to think there's something profoundly more than that, as if they've done something totally revolutionary and mind-blowing...which I don't really get. I mean it's just modern rock mixed with electronic elements, that's all. It's generally good stuff, but there's nothing more to it, IMO.

• Members

Straight Edge isn't really a genre its more of a lifestyle... Refused were a hardcore/punk band who just happened to be straight edge vegans. Its kind of a fuzzy topic. Is "Anarcho" punk really a genre or just the bands political affiliation/lifestyle attached to a genre in an attempt to create a subculture/genre?

Agreed. I'm not one for semantics either. Your original response was to some one who hated "straight edge music". I hope Refused is not lumped in with the other "straight edge" bands simply because they happened to refrain from the use of drugs and alcohol. Refused is a band that deserves to be in a class all their own IMO. The Shape of Punk to Come and Songs to Fuel the Flames of Discontent are both amazing pieces of work.

• Members

Thank you. Ditto.

To me they sound like U2 minus Bono and fronted by Dave Matthews.

Another one is Radiohead -- which I really do dig, mainly because I've produced electronica in the past and appreciate them incorporating electronic elements with their rock...
but their fans and the rock critics seem to think there's something profoundly more than that, as if they've done something totally revolutionary and mind-blowing...which I don't really get.
I mean it's just modern rock mixed with electronic elements, that's all. It's generally good stuff, but there's nothing more to it, IMO.

These words repeat from music culture to music culture to music culture to...across the generations of listeners. I didn't get what made music I didn't like so danged popular. But, it's music to a different ear.

This thread is the gut wrenching admissions from musicians. I think we are the most critical group on the planet about what music should be like and I think it can get directed inward all too often. That's when the creative process is ordered take a number and stand in line behind constructive criticism gremlins.

• Members

There's been so much
truly awful
punk rock (and that was a genre I identified strongly with in the late 70s) since then and a certain jaded approach is perhaps understandable -- there's none of the
shock
of newly broken rules
for those coming to the Pistols three decades later. It's easy to disrespect the Pistols in some ways: they were an
assembled
band, like the Monkees or Peter, Paul, and Mary
but there was
so much chaos
in that mix that what came out of the process was as unpredictable as the endings of their songs once seemed. And, at their best, there's a rage and honesty in Lyrdon's lyrics that, coupled the particularly raw but intrinsically traditionalist rock and roll of the band, really spoke for people around the world who felt disenfranchised from the mainstream culture product of white bread disco and overblown soft rock from aging 60s stars.

Are you gonna trash Cannibal Corpse and defend The Sex Pistols?! Seriously?! Sid Vicous sounds like a dying bird! I'll admit George Fisher isn't much more dynamic either BUT HIS NICKNAME IS CORPSEGRINDER FOR GOD SAKES!!! HOW BAD ASS IS THAT!!! so really what I think is at issue is the instrumentation here...Cannibal Corpse eats power chords for breakfast along with rotten labia's and a tall glass of pigs blood!

A side question; you said that the sex pistols were an assembled band...do you mean, like the spice girls? like a label put them together??

• Members
Cannibal Corpse eats power chords for breakfast along with rotten labia's and a tall glass of pigs blood!

^:lol:^

This thread is so gay :poke:. I have been reading it for entertainment value, but all it is is people bitching about bands/artists they don't like and other people getting all offended and defensive. :blah:

We're all big boys and girls, if you can dish it out you better be able to take it. :rolleyes:

:idea: If you want others to know who your favortie band/artist is, there are 2 threads right now where you can do it. The favorite songwriter thread and the favorite album thread.

Otherwise, let people bitch. Just b/c they don't like someone you like doesn't mean you have to get yer panties in a knot. :eek: Some of my favorite artists are listed in this thread (no, not the Jonas brothers) and I don't give a {censored}. I know not everyone has the same taste in music I have...

BTW I'm not aiming this post at any particular poster, it's just something I've noticed throughout the entire thread and I'm sure the OP didn't intend for it to become a bicker-fest.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

My list:
Jonas Brothers
Hanna Montana
Modern Country
Any American Idol singer ever
Anything on Mtv 2000-present
Slipknot
Elvis
Janes Addiction
U2
Metallica (post master of puppets album)
Jullian Lennon (how on earth is this man's music so generic?)
Yoko Ono
Avril Lavigne
Maroon 5
Pearl Jam
John Mayer
depeche mode

There's probably tons more, but I don't want to think of them.

• Members

Wow.. Pearl jam?? The Ten album is one of my favorite albums of all time. To each their own I guess...
I think the reast of your list( minus Janes Addiction) are bands that you are supposed to hate

I guess one of the bands I could never get into was The Clash .. London Calling is great, but I'm not big on everything else.. Maybe they'll grow on me though..

My list:

Jonas Brothers

Hanna Montana

Modern Country

Any American Idol singer ever

Anything on Mtv 2000-present

Slipknot

Elvis

Janes Addiction

U2

Metallica (post master of puppets album)

Jullian Lennon (how on earth is this man's music so generic?)

Yoko Ono

Avril Lavigne

Maroon 5

Pearl Jam

John Mayer

depeche mode

There's probably tons more, but I don't want to think of them.

• Members

popular artist usually means commercial. This in itself means sacrifice art quality for business. Madonna to me has no talent whatsoever, but her team have come up with some amazing songs, she has been know to use voice playback at live concerts...shame on her. So for me the list goes into the thousands, but I can understand other peoples tastes, eg. james blunt, makes me want to be sick, but I understand why they like him

Archived