blackstar 5w head vs. blackheart head

wilg8

• Members

i dont remember the models exactly, im lookin 4 an at-home amp with sum guts, obviously, but with an assload of tone. i play rock, classic rock, a bit of country (great cleans a plus), rockabilly, and some blues. both amps are in the same price range last i checked, so.........

• Members

Really? Every Blackheart clip I have heard has been better. For what tones are we talking about? Blackstar is better at everything? Can someone point me to some valid clips here? I haven't heard any that have thrilled me, but the blackhearts have been awesome. What is so great? BTW, I am seriously asking....I want to buy one or the other....and can't actually demo them.

• Members
Really? Every Blackheart clip I have heard has been better. For what tones are we talking about? Blackstar is better at everything? Can someone point me to some valid clips here? I haven't heard any that have thrilled me, but the blackhearts have been awesome. What is so great? BTW, I am seriously asking....I want to buy one or the other....and can't actually demo them.

The versatility of the available tones, from a nice clean all the way to a semi-heavy modern tone, and lots of great stops on the way, the loop, the cab-emulated line-out/headphone jack. My Blackheart had a fair clean, with not much variance in the EQ section, and a ratty, sharp overdrive with no singing sustain when you pushed the amp, and the overdrive that it did offer couldn't be had at low volumes. And one channel vs two.

• Members

The versatility of the available tones, from a nice clean all the way to a semi-heavy modern tone, and lots of great stops on the way, the loop, the cab-emulated line-out/headphone jack. My Blackheart had a fair clean, with not much variance in the EQ section, and a ratty, sharp overdrive with no singing sustain when you pushed the amp, and the overdrive that it did offer couldn't be had at low volumes. And one channel vs two.

I don't care about 2 channels. I have 2 riveras with 5 channels among them not counting boosts and such...plus other amps. I was just interested in a low wattage amp that I can play at low volume and get some good tones. I just found a whole slew of more blackstar demo vids that I haven't seen before. I sat through 5 of them. 1 didnt suck. 1 guy had some good tones out of them, but the funny thing is that I hear ratty overdrive coming from that...although I am only hearing clips and you own them. I have to defer to you. I have enough pedals to boost and sculpt if necessary. I just want, low wattage, cheap and tone. Think acdc, slash and ZZ Top. That's really all I want.

• Members

I don't care about 2 channels. I have 2 riveras with 5 channels among them not counting boosts and such...plus other amps. I was just interested in a low wattage amp that I can play at low volume and get some good tones. I just found a whole slew of more blackstar demo vids that I haven't seen before. I sat through 5 of them. 1 didnt suck. 1 guy had some good tones out of them, but the funny thing is that I hear ratty overdrive coming from that...although I am only hearing clips and you own them. I have to defer to you. I have enough pedals to boost and sculpt if necessary. I just want, low wattage, cheap and tone. Think acdc, slash and ZZ Top. That's really all I want.

I've never played a Blackheart, but I own the Blackstar and it kicks ass. Lots of tones available, good features, I have no complaints with it thus far.

• Members

i have to say with the overdrive tones you are looking for - ac/dc, zz top, etc. i would for sure go with the blackstar. its not that the blackheart cant do them...its that the blackstar can do them at much lower volumes on its own. this is of course my own experience with them - i demo'd a blackheart at a sam ash and to get those od tones it had to be louder than i would play it at home (i live in an apartment...so volume was a big concern). with the blackstar i have those tones (and more) at volumes that dont even wake up the lady in the other room (and the stellar emulated out has already been mentioned). just my .02, but for tones at low volume - blackstar all the way.

• Members

clearly you will prefer trying the blackheart but i think the fact that you can shape the tone from a more fender to a more marshall sound gives it away.

I love my blackheart but I def would go for the blackstar if I had to redo that choice.

• Members

I haven't tried a Blackstar yet (I haven't even seen one in person) but I've had my Little Giant for almost a year and it's still fun to play with. It can easily do ACDC, Slash and ZZ Top. One thing is that I don't really like the 3 watt mode and the 5 watt mode is still pretty damn loud. If you want the amp to really cook you have to turn the volume up to about 3 o'clock or just dime it.

Archived