Meshuggah - Bleed = impossible

glenecho

• Members

ok...I've never backed down from a song in my life. Last night I was listening to Meshuggah's Bleed and since I've never attempted a math metal tune like this before I sat down trying to learn it.

I'm convinced it is impossible and it has me pissed. Like I said...I've never backed down from a song ever...and I won't stop here...but {censored} this is frustrating.

Can anyone in here claim to be able to play this {censored}ing thing?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can play maybe the first minute before i get tired lol

after about 45 minutes of dicking with it I can't even really play the first 15 seconds without {censored}ing it up.

I guess this is a good trick to teach an old dog. Nice to know I'm not the only one having a hard time with it.

• Members

can you play it? please say no...

I can manage the right hand I think, it's just the synchronization with the left hand that throws me off; you really have to kind of disconnect the two and that's tough for me... I haven't really tried though; maybe I'll give it a thorough go this weekend and see what I come up with. Maybe I'll realize how tiring it is once I actually start playing it :lol:

• Members

Its all a matter of breaking it down. The first bit should be easy enough, assuming your right hand is up to it, but the rest is harder. Its just that its not necesarily the same when it repeats, so rather than learning a 16 bar passage, you have to learn 64 bars to get it right. Start simpler and work up if this is your first mesh tune, you have to find out how they work first

James

• Members

If you think that song is hard, try being a drummer.

:eek:

Me and my drummer friends have talked about that song a few times, I have pretty fast feet but can't do it... triplet hit triplet hit lol wat

Tomas had to train for a few months to get it right. Obviously a monster like that could probably play it pretty well right away, but for the tightness they demand, it takes a little longer. I saw them do it live and it was flawless

James

• Members

Its all a matter of breaking it down. The first bit should be easy enough, assuming your right hand is up to it, but the rest is harder. Its just that its not necesarily the same when it repeats, so rather than learning a 16 bar passage, you have to learn 64 bars to get it right. Start simpler and work up if this is your first mesh tune, you have to find out how they work first

James

Whats the best polymetric song to start with?

• Members

I can manage the right hand I think, it's just the synchronization with the left hand that throws me off; you really have to kind of disconnect the two and that's tough for me... I haven't really tried though; maybe I'll give it a thorough go this weekend and see what I come up with. Maybe I'll realize how tiring it is once I actually start playing it
:lol:

Opposite problem here. The right hand part doesn't give me any problem. But the left hand part as I said, cannot be played by anyone. Meshuggah is using a trick with digital delay or something. It IS impossible.

• Members

Opposite problem here. The right hand part doesn't give me any problem. But the left hand part as I said, cannot be played by anyone. Meshuggah is using a trick with digital delay or something. It IS impossible.

wait what its just a half bend on the 5th fret of the b string

• Members

I think I will give it a shot... What does Meshuggah tune to? Is it F or F#?

I can only play it on my 7 string (don't have an 8 obviously) but it looked like the first riff started at the 4th fret on the low B string, which is what I'm hearing as well. I'm going off of the Bleed lesson on YouTube which I swore I wouldn't watch but brought up after only 15 minutes of trying this impossible {censored}er.

I'm woodshedding for a year on this...I will get it even if it kills me.

Archived