Must you kill me with your 100 watter?

solarburn

• Members

Myles S Rose... many modern rock bands don't WANT their power section to distort. They want all the distortion from the preamp section and a tight, controlled, confident power section. Push the power tubes to distortion and you get some great sounds but you also, get this, get distortion and looseness. Try telling a modern metal band they need to play a 20W amp cranked to 10 to get "good tone" from their power section and they'll probably kick you in the chest, Myles.... You tone-snob wuss.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Myles is the man when you need to know about tubes though, and he is a great guy.He just seemed a little confused back in 2003 if he was talking about metal players..lol

I didn't think he was talking about metal players. I thought it was inclusive to anyone using a tube amp. I noticed the metal guys seem to be attacking Miles. I didn't post this so he would get personally attacked. Take it easy on him and direct it at the content. Sheesh. I didn't mean you Edge.

He does know alot about tubes.:thu:

• Members
I didn't think he was talking about metal players. I thought it was inclusive to anyone using a tube amp. I noticed the metal guys seem to be attacking Miles. I didn't post this so he would get personally attacked. Take it easy on him and direct it at the content. Sheesh. I didn't mean you Edge.

He does know alot about tubes.
:thu:

I don't play metal. I still use 100 watt amps. I don't want power amp distortion.

• Members

I don't play metal. I still use 100 watt amps. I don't want power amp distortion.

Is he just saying power amp distortion or is he talking about that sweet spot that is preamp and power amp working together. I would say on a DSL 6 on the volume is where its opened up and breathing fire but not so much so the power amp is making it loose and muddy. I don't feel a DSL is a metal amp though. What I hear the metal guys saying is that the sweet spot for them means less power amp with the preamp. So you guys should be playing quieter to get that. Crazy bastards.

• Members

Sweet spots, tube distortion...whatever...the fact is is that a lot of us use amps that are way overpowered for the gig (myself included). 30 watts can make ears ring, plus it gives you a much more usable control of the amp. The thing is, if this "sweet spot" occurs at a higher volume on the amp, you are more likely to use it with a lower wattage amp. If its too quiet at this spot, I agree with the OP...use the PA for volume. You're pretty much {censored}ed most of the time with a 100 watt amp in this scenario.

• Members
Myles is the man when you need to know about tubes though, and he is a great guy.He just seemed a little confused back in 2003 if he was talking about metal players..lol

He used the words touch sensitivity and dynamics..I don't think that really applies to lot of heavier metal music.. :D

• Members

All I know is my 120 watt amp sounds better than any 50 watt or 60 watt amps I've played. Even the same amp in 60 watt. It's not about volume though the tone is just much better. I don't bust peoples ears with it really. I mean it's loud as hell but I keep it tamed. It sounds great in the mix.

I cannot crank it to 6 because it has that pushed distorted sound. Even at 60 watts it does that. About 3 1/2 and 4 is where I go.

• Members

To reply to some of the other post. What if it's not about volume? I mean what if a 30 watt is loud enough but doesn't have the tone you want that the 100 watt has? Just seems like for a really good metal tone 100 watts seems to be great. That's why high gain amps have that many watts. When it comes to other genres I probably wouldn't use so much.

• Members

Axe-Fx.

Wonder what my wattage is?

Probably a lot but it's a solid state amp right? I don't know much about them really. Never heard one. Usually with solid state it requires even more wattage than tube amps to stay tight at high volumes. Like 300 watt solid state amps hold together about like a 100 watt tube amp. A 150 watt solid state amp still sounds like crap turned up.

• Members
To reply to some of the other post. What if it's not about volume? I mean what if a 30 watt is loud enough but doesn't have the tone you want that the 100 watt has? Just seems like for a really good metal tone 100 watts seems to be great. That's why high gain amps have that many watts. When it comes to other genres I probably wouldn't use so much.

Miles is talking about the "Bugera" of the amp...you know the soul of it. If your "Bugera" is at 3 on the dial then that's where you play it man. If people don't like your "Bugera" then they can go play with the rest of the "flubby" players.

If I was playing metal I'd play a 6505/+ too. They just spew metal.:thu:

• Members
Miles is talking about the "Bugera" of the amp...you know the soul of it. If your "Bugera" is at 3 on the dial then that's where you play it man. If people don't like your "Bugera" then they can go play with the rest of the "flubby" players.

If I was playing metal I'd play a 6505/+ too. They just spew metal.
:thu:

My tubes get really hot at about 3 1/2 and my amp sounds tight as hell. I just don't like this cranking it to 5 like some people do on here. It just sounds like {censored} that way. I can't get into it. To much power amp distortion. Speakers sounding like they are overdriven. I like that smooth lead sound.

• Members

My tubes get really hot at about 3 1/2 and my amp sounds tight as hell. I just don't like this cranking it to 5 like some people do on here. It just sounds like {censored} that way. I can't get into it. To much power amp distortion. Speakers sounding like they are overdriven. I like that smooth lead sound.

I prefer mine lower than a lot of DSL owners. Usually no more than 4. I don't hear and feel anything more I want after that. I boost anyways so I'm getting added body from that. What I do want is touch/feel, good overtones and controllable harmonic feedback with usable guitar volume roll off. I ain't playing metal with mine. I'd get another amp for that...like yours.

• Members
My Carvin x100-b is 100 watts and is reasonable volume when turned to 10. You seem to treat all amps the same. I found that most of my amps have a sweet spot around 2-3 on the volume.
:confused:

I understand the new ones have a volume problem, but none of my original X100B's would be at reasonable volumes on 10. :D

Archived