Must you kill me with your 100 watter?

solarburn

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Go play your Mark Tremonti/Creed wah at bedroom volume on your modded 50 watter, and leave the music to the real players. Nursing homes do like it quiet.
:thu:

I'm sorry , no matter how hard I try, I just can't take someone seriously that names themselves "butt-hurt by a clown"...oh and STFU nOOb.:facepalm:

• Members

Do you even know what you're talking about? my amp is a whole 3db louder than yours, so in the grand scheme of things. :poke:

What about more lowend, aggressiveness and headroom that alot of guys already posted about. I don't see much difference from a 50 watter to a 100 watter...either.

• Members

Honestly, we all have seen the band with the jackass who cannot control his volume. I marvel at why guys WANT to carry a 4x12 into a 150 person gig ( or a full stack for that matter ) but I would never draw the conclusion that the guy was a tonal pigmy just because he wants to bring the stuff. If you dig it and its not obnoxious then it is fine with me.

Case in point : I use a Nitro with a 2x12 cabinet with a volume box in the loop. Anyone who has played a Nitro knows that this is one stupid loud piece of equipment. I play a gig at a club where the stage was an afterthought and was built behind and above the bar. Horrible. So when the band plays the bartenders complain that they cannot hear their customers because the band is too loud. The club owner who also runs sound at the gig tells me " most guys bring a little box when they play here" and takes jabs at me all night. I was at about 8:30 on the volume and I HAD A VOLUME PEDAL IN THE LOOP CUTTING THE VOLUME HALF OF THAT. I could not even hear what I was playing and neither could anyone else. But this 1970's assclown bar owner sees a 2x12 with a 100 watt head and automatically blames me. We laughed all night because I was basically turned off and the guy rode my ass and it was so obvious that he was a dumbass that I laughed harder the more he complained.

It's not the size of your amp.... it's how you use it.

• Members
What about more lowend, aggressiveness and headroom that alot of guys already posted about. I don't see much difference from a 50 watter to a 100 watter...either.

Except you've already stated in this thread that you've never put the two models up against each other to compare:poke:

You know, I don't get what it is about this place when a guy like solarburn gets completely defensive and obnoxious when others are simply stating their opinion.:confused:
I've left HC amps a couple times in the past pretty much because of this type of arrogance that lingers here..

Solarburn: I'm meant no harm to you. If my post in anyway came off as condescending then I apologize.:)

Their really is no more to say about this thread. It's a total dead horse at this point. I hope you've learned something about the other side of this argument about 100watt amps. Joel

• Members

If you high power amps guys don't like power amp distortion why do you even use all-tube amps? :poke:

Just because we don't drive our power tubes to ridiculous levels does not mean we don't get certain characteristics from the power section. There is no way you are going to get the same tone say from my Einstein's pre section and a solid state power amp as you do with a tube power amp.

That's a very narrow minded post.

• Members

Myles is a knowledgable guy but that article is strictly his subjective opinion and far from the truth in every case.

Solarburn, you should understand that a 100 watt amp is not only valuable because of volume.

For heavy rock and metal players in particular the extra headroom that the 100 watt affords them is actually part of the tone! (And you don't need to crank the amp up to 10 to get it either!)The part about only clean players needing headroom is not accurate.

He's speaking of a time when modern amps had no preamp gain...

Headroom will add a tighter, more stable bass (no squish from the poweramp) and the tone is definitely more aggressive overall..

Line up two identical models, one that's 50 watts and one that 100 watts and
listen
to the differences in tone.

It's possible that Myles doesn't listen much past his era of music. In this article there is too many preconcieved notions of what tone should be and what players are doing by HIS standards. It was evident in that post that his mentally is dated on modern amps.

Not many players at this point desire to push an amp's poweramp into distortion every night:idea:

+1

This guy only knows one aspect of the whole situation.

• Members

i think it's hilarious that people assume that if you regard tone as coming from a small wattage amp pushed to it's limits, you're old and living in some bygone era, and that the other side of the coin, if yer using a 100 watter with a lot of gain on tap, you play metal.

i'm not some bygone era dude using a 20 watt amp, but i like to push the amp harder via the master knob than by the preamp... and i happen to like low watters. i wouldn't consider my tone outa hand gainy either... but it acts differently than the 50's and 100watt amps i've owned.. i just like it better.

i don't really care either way-- different tools for different jobs-- but all this 'lucy show era' namecalling is about as helpful as saying 'you dumb metal kids'. neither's right in all instances.. i sure the hell don't play blues lawyer music with my low watter... and if let loose in some metal club OR a schwanky bar expecting covers, i would probably be asked impolitely to leave..

it's pretty much about what you hear in yer head... figure it out, and use what y' need...

• Members

Except you've already stated in this thread that you've never put the two models up against each other to compare:poke:

You know, I don't get what it is about this place when a guy like solarburn gets completely defensive and obnoxious when others are simply stating their opinion.
:confused:
I've left HC amps a couple times in the past pretty much because of this type of arrogance that lingers here..

Solarburn: I'm meant no harm to you. If my post in anyway came off as condescending then I apologize.
:)

Their really is no more to say about this thread. It's a total dead horse at this point. I hope you've learned something about the other side of this argument about 100watt amps. Joel

There sure was alot of defensiveness going on and I couldn't keep up with it.:lol:

Listen, I'm not worried about others talking around me with their opinions as I feel I am quite able to have discussions. I have enough posts to prove that here. I saw guys getting uptight right off and I thought it interesting considering the content of Miles post. I thought quite a few were missing the mark. In fact some attacked him instead, burying any discussion.

I have a stance too and am able to say it. I don't mind mixing it up a little. The title thread was a devil's advocate play on getting people involved in it. It had nothing to do with me hating on 100 watters. I didn't hear much talk about where people felt their amps soul was. Where it gave up the goods and how that felt. I thought there might be more stories of killing the crowd with volume or set ups that slayed and those that made you cringe. Instead as usually happens a pissing match starts.

Like I said, I started the thread and it went where it went. There were strong reactions. What's a guy to do. Say nothing?

You my friend fit in. Quit leaving. Say what you want to say and if I don't buy into so what. I might see things another way. You certainly do. I don't think some were just stating their opinion do you? Really?

Stick around. This thread is dead to me. I hope you learned something about the other person's opinion and not taking yourself so... seriously? :cop:

• Members

Just because we don't drive our power tubes to ridiculous levels does not mean we don't get certain characteristics from the power section. There is no way you are going to get the same tone say from my Einstein's pre section and a solid state power amp as you do with a tube power amp.

Yep, the post was intentionally a bit provocative but it just strikes me odd that many people jump on saying that

• Members

how many people do you see using low wattage amps in a live rock setting?

little to none

there is good reason for this

that'd be me. not really true-- because 15 watts WILL keep up with a pretty loud drummer and a bassist with 200 watts AND be usable in a PA setting. but marketing tells us otherwise!

Archived