Must you kill me with your 100 watter?

solarburn

• Members

What about more lowend, aggressiveness and headroom that alot of guys already posted about. I don't see much difference from a 50 watter to a 100 watter...either.

That "headroom" and punch comes from a beefed up power supply and electronics as opposed to Wattage so to speak. There could also be damping factor at play etc. This is really evident in Marshall 50 watters Vs 100 watters - The power supply rails etc etal are just much more beefy in a 100 watter. You'd be hard pressed to find as much of a difference in a Meas Boogie 50 vs 100 watt head. Try it in a recto sometime. Just not as much of a difference between a single and Dual. Now the single and Triple, well now you're getting into serious damage.

But the bottom line here ie why the F does anyone need to play as loud as a 100 watt head can go? Jesus that's loud, not to mention the hearing damage that occurs.

Todd A.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not just the watts !

My JCM800 cranked up I think is the sexx! I can run it against my other g-players JVM and they sound really good in a mix. His is 100w mine is 50. Still loud as hell. Hi seems a tid bit louder when maxed but not double as one would think.

Otoh, grab a Fender Twin Rev, crank the clean ch up and see how fast your ears bleed when you pluck a string !

We jam sometimes with this country band and their stage is frikkin loud as hell! Fender Twins, Devilles, or Supers can get damn loud! Those chicken picken b bender fanatics and steel players can split your ear drums.

• Members

that'd be me. not really true-- because 15 watts WILL keep up with a pretty loud drummer and a bassist with 200 watts AND be usable in a PA setting. but marketing tells us otherwise!

there is no way 15 watts keeps up with ANY hard hitting drummer

i need at least 30watts to start with if im going to be playing rock and im not miced

200watts for bass is pretty low as well, bass frequencies need a lot more power to push them to loud volume levels

• Members
Not just the watts !

My JCM800 cranked up I think is the sexx! I can run it against my other g-players JVM and they sound really good in a mix. His is 100w mine is 50. Still loud as hell. Hi seems a tid bit louder when maxed but not double as one would think.

Otoh, grab a Fender Twin Rev, crank the clean ch up and see how fast your ears bleed when you pluck a string !

We jam sometimes with this country band and their stage is frikkin loud as hell! Fender Twins, Devilles, or Supers can get damn loud! Those chicken picken b bender fanatics and steel players can split your ear drums.

Oh I bet that hurts man! What fun to crank em' up though.:thu:

A whole stage of chick'n pick'n at volume? Whoa!

• Members

there is no way 15 watts keeps up with ANY hard hitting drummer

i need at least 30watts to start with if im going to be playing rock and im not miced

200watts for bass is pretty low as well, bass frequencies need a lot more power to push them to loud volume levels

not so, my man--- 22 watts-- or a pair of el84's in AB and efficient speakers can do a LOT of damage. it's all down to the drummer-- i've been in bands where 50 watts was totally necessary-- but it can be done with, er... more subtle.. drummers. that said.. my drummer's pretty loud. but so are my speakers for the wattage.

i don't play with drummers who play with marching sticks anymore-- partly out of necessity, partly out of choice. but it IS possible to play some pretty heavy rock and NOT need that much juice. absolutely possible, and do it weekly. and no mics necessary with a 212. all in how you use the amp, and what with-- and it's not generating the low end that's quite the popular norm- but if you distribute the weight of the low end, to the guy with the big strings and the fatter amp... no problem. but it definitely requires a different sort of arranging, not detuning to x, and playing in a way that works with what you've got!

EDIT: oh-- meanwhiles too-- 200 watts for bass isn't really quiet either-- with 2 15's, you can drive that 200 watts LOUD-- i have the hearing damage to prove it! :lol: efficiency again...

• Members

it's pretty much about what you hear in yer head... figure it out, and use what y' need...

That is exactly what it's all about. I have owned and played enough amps to realize that I pretty much sound like me through just about any amp. What I then look for in an amp is how that amp reacts to me when I play it. With that being said, I own 4 amps, one 30 watt, one 60 watt, one "80" watt and another that puts out about 120 or more. They're all great amps and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I mainly use the 80 watt amp, but that's because we are loud. We are quite loud, but I guarantee that it's a good kind of loud. We have only ever been told to turn down once or twice and we always get asked back.

• Members

All I know is my 120 watt amp sounds better than any 50 watt or 60 watt amps I've played. Even the same amp in 60 watt. It's not about volume though the tone is just much better. I don't bust peoples ears with it really. I mean it's loud as hell but I keep it tamed. It sounds great in the mix.

I cannot crank it to 6 because it has that pushed distorted sound. Even at 60 watts it does that. About 3 1/2 and 4 is where I go.

Fort high gain tones i've never played an amp i liked over 5 on the master volume, it's just gets loose and mushy after that. Usually i find the sweet spot is in the 3 - 4 zone.

Rock tones, slight break up tones with the gain way rolled off sound great with the master cranked up high though. As long as there's not too much pre-amp gain in there.

• Members
EDIT: oh-- meanwhiles too-- 200 watts for bass isn't really quiet either-- with 2 15's, you can drive that 200 watts LOUD-- i have the hearing damage to prove it!
:lol:
efficiency again...

Oh yeah, you can level a small building with 200 watts, a nice bass and a good 2x15 cab. :thu:

Archived