OT: Computer/ tech guys - serious question (RAM install)

bullhead

• Members

So...

i have a computer that i built myself off a Pentium D850 (when it was top-of-the line) and a ASUS mobo (which was also top of the line). went to Circuit City today and bought 4GB of RAM for it and installed it. powered down the machine, pulled out the old RAM, threw in the new stuff, powered the machine back up, and now it CRAWWWLSSS. the explorer application freezes, opening the task manager takes my CPU usage up to 100%.

any ideas?

• Members

could be the wrong kind of ram! i know that's total 'duh' answer-- but seriously.. did you check the bios to see how much got acknowledged?

i haven't checked the BIOS yet, but it's exactly the same specs (aside from the amount) as my old RAM.

not really looking forward to another reboot, as shutting down and starting up takes about ten minutes suddenly.

• Members

i haven't checked the BIOS yet, but it's exactly the same specs (aside from the amount) as my old RAM.

not really looking forward to another reboot, as shutting down and starting up takes about ten minutes suddenly.

oh na-- when the computer boots up it takes a survey of the available RAM--- before you reboot-- make sure it's pushed down well in the slots too-- there's NOTHING worse than frying a brand new ram chip that's not fully seated... those tabs can be bitchy-- so unplug, and reseat ALL of them first-- and make sure they click!

• Members

what kind of RAM did you put in? What is the speed, capacity, density, and bank arrangement is it using?

How much voltage does it want @ rated speed?

Does it match the density, bank arrangement, and voltage requirements of the old RAM?

Is the motherboard set to use manual settings for the old RAM?

Does the motherboard support the full proper capacity, density, bank arrangement, and voltage requirements of the new RAM?

Is the total size being detected properly by the BIOS?

Is the RAM running at its rated speed?

If >1 stick, does the same thing happen with each or either stick individually?

Same as above, but tested in each slot individually?

:poke:

• Members

wow im slow, or this board is fast.

You should still check the BIOS, just to see what it is set to... I've had many RAM installs "fail" simply because the old RAM needed some weird manual setting that the new RAM doesnt like, even if they are the same. (of course Im usually working on rigs I didnt build, so you may already know whats up with your BIOS, I spose)

• Members
okay... now i'm totally effing baffled...

the My Computer -> Properties says i have 3.0GB of RAM...

:confused::idk::confused:

32bit Windows can only use around 3.25GB anyway... but it says 3.0 exactly?

Wat kind of system is this... an OEM, like Dell, HP, whatever, or is it a custom built rig?

do you know the motherboard make/model?

• Members

32bit Windows can only use around 3.25GB anyway... but it says 3.0 exactly?

Wat kind of system is this... an OEM, like Dell, HP, whatever, or is it a custom built rig?

do you know the motherboard make/model?

custom built

the mobo is an ASUS P5WD2 Premium. the board itself should allow 8 gigs, with 4 slots allowing 2 gigs each.

• Members

well... time for the Windows7 Beta, then.

still doesn't explain why my machine is slow as {censored}.

you stil need a 64-bit OS if you want to use all 4 gigs.

also boot up with each stick of ram, you might have fried one. i bet it cold out there and you're running a heater right? statch charge builds up easily in a dry climate. just a little bit of static discharge will fry the chips.

• Members

that is strange. Whats the latency of the ram? And whats the like... class. DDR2 or whatever.

PC2-5300 (667MHZ) DDR2

i cant' even find clock settings in my BIOS, as that seems like the issue at this point. guess it's time to start digging through the manual for my motherboard (groan)

Archived