OT: Computer/ tech guys - serious question (RAM install)

bullhead

• Members
Clear CMOS and set the speed and any other memory timings/settings to "auto" first, boot and run CPU-Z to see what frequency and timings it is running, adjust memory timings/settings then - if applicable.

:cop:

as far as i know, CMOS is a type of chip in a video camera, and the type of modelling a Boss/Roland uses.

everything is set to auto.

i don't know what CPU-Z is.

i am incredibly annoyed by both ASUS and Kingston, because ASUS's manual is written in jargon with no definitions to be found, and Kingston has no documentation. i had to go to newegg to get the CAS Latency for the RAM i purchased. you guys here have been far more helpful than the product manufacturers. i now nothing about memory timing, or how to adjust them.

• Members

Are you absolutely sure it is seated properly and all the way in? It running that slow makes me wonder if it isn't running on empty or something. I know it sounds stupid but I've installed RAM in (honestly) thousands of PCs, but the last time I upgraded my current desktop PC I still improperly seated one of the chips.

• Members

Are you absolutely sure it is seated properly and all the way in? It running that slow makes me wonder if it isn't running on empty or something. I know it sounds stupid but I've installed RAM in (honestly) thousands of PCs, but the last time I upgraded my current desktop PC I still improperly seated one of the chips.

that's a mistake i've made before, and if that were the case, my BIOS wouldn't be reading 4096MB of RAM and XP wouldn't be seeing the 3 gigs.

• Members

Test each stick individually. Although a bad stick usually does more than make it crawl.

I've dealt with tons of RAM and this is the quickest easiest way to find the culprit. Also some RAM just doesn't like certain motherboards. OCZ RAM is the worst. That {censored} is so temperamental.

• Members

So...

i have a computer that i built myself off a Pentium D850 (when it was top-of-the line) and a ASUS mobo (which was also top of the line). went to Circuit City today and bought 4GB of RAM for it and installed it. powered down the machine, pulled out the old RAM, threw in the new stuff, powered the machine back up, and now it CRAWWWLSSS. the explorer application freezes, opening the task manager takes my CPU usage up to 100%.

any ideas?

as electrical/computer engineer major i wish i could answer this question. its hard to jump to a conclusion without checking out the computer itself.

If you haven't already id take out the new RAM, and blow where you put it to get the dust off to ensure full contact, that can cause some issues.

One possibilty is the RAM is corrupt and some of its bytes work while others don't. Thus its bascially acting like a very small amount of scattered RAM and your computer runs super slow as a result. Transistors and capacitors tend to be fragile. because the computer is constantly trying read or write to certain parts of the RAM that simply don't work, its will probably burn up a ton of clock cycles.

If that doesn't work, id just contact the manufacturer and see what they say. i have a feeling its bad RAM. but the RAM and motherboard not getting along is also another logical possibility.

I highly doubt its the BIOS. but set it to default setting if you are suspect.

Archived