Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you score that sunn of craigslist on the cheap? i think i saw it up and my bassist emailed him n got no response.

yep. crazy cheap. unfortunately i had a "professional tech" go to school on my amp (and take a solder {censored} in it) and then had to take it somewhere reputable (out of state). now that all is said and done, i didn't get such a great deal on it - but it was worth the hassle.

• Members

Around Xmas, i emailed the guys over at Electric... Still a 10-12+ month wait (at least) on a new amp...(MV120) A lot can happen in a year! Anyone know where can score one quicker? Been all over ebay and craigslist...I have been gassin for one for months now. I had an Orange TV50 and even a rockerverb. They did'nt do it for me...I need Electric...

• Members

Around Xmas, i emailed the guys over at Electric... Still a 10-12+ month wait (at least) on a new amp...(MV120) A lot can happen in a year! Anyone know where can score one quicker? Been all over ebay and craigslist...I have been gassin for one for months now. I had an Orange TV50 and even a rockerverb. They did'nt do it for me...I need Electric...

Just have to camp out on Ebay, Craigslist, and music forums and wait for one. That took me a year before I found one, anyway. There are only like ~100 on Earth right now and people tend to hang onto them more often than something like a Line6 Pod so finding one for sale is rare.

• Members
I know all about patience and the waiting game... I looked and seached for two months for a DAM meathead fuzz pedal. Finally, one turned up on ebay... I guess the search for Electric continues...

Blackhive, wanna sell me yours?
:idea:
or trade?...

Sorry, dude! I'm not letting this one go now that I finally have one. If anything, I'd get a second similar amp like an old Orange Overdrive 120 or Matamp GTL or GT1. There was an Electric for sale for CHEAP a few blocks from me, recently. It was a 180W one for $1500, I think. It was gone by the time I noticed the ad, of course.

Keep an eye on StonerRock.com too. I BELIEVE I scored my first Matamp from TheGearPage, even.

• Members

Yeah, i've been on StonerRock.com for a few years now. I get a lot of CD's from AllThatIsHeavy that i cant really find anywhere else... I read your review on there for the MV120, i think, are you "Catastrophe"? Nice review! Anyway, you seem to know your {censored} about Electric/Matamp/Orange ect. I've never played a "Vintage" one, only the new stuff...In your opinion, what Orange amp would be the closest in tone to an Electric? I am after that thick Sleep, AcidKing, Electric MV120 tone, if ya know what i mean? which i bet you do...thanks!

• Members

yep. crazy cheap. unfortunately i had a "professional tech" go to school on my amp (and take a solder {censored} in it) and then had to take it somewhere reputable (out of state). now that all is said and done, i didn't get such a great deal on it - but it was worth the hassle.

that sux man. glad it was worth it tho.

• Members

Yeah, i've been on StonerRock.com for a few years now. I get a lot of CD's from AllThatIsHeavy that i cant really find anywhere else... I read your review on there for the MV120, i think, are you "Catastrophe"? Nice review! Anyway, you seem to know your {censored} about Electric/Matamp/Orange ect. I've never played a "Vintage" one, only the new stuff...In
your opinion
, what Orange amp would be the closest in tone to an Electric? I am after that thick Sleep, AcidKing, Electric MV120 tone, if ya know what i mean? which i bet you do...thanks!

During the recent Sleep reunion show, they were running an old Matamp/Orange ("Ormat") OR120 thing on stage alongside an Orange Overdrive 120 and their live sound was 100% the sound they had on Dopesmoker/Jerusalem. Sounded perfect. You can get that sound with any number of amps depending on the guitar, pickups, EQing, amp settings, pedals used, etc. My Electric MV amp sounds exactly like it with my ESP guitar in the neck pickup but sounds nothing like that with my other guitar or that guitar's bridge pickup.

The Orange OR120 and Electric NMV amps are very similar sounding from what I can tell, as well. Both have significantly less gain than the Electric MV models and lack that handy master volume knob, though. On the other hand, the NMV models are said to have more low-end. A VERY similar amp to those is the Matamp GTO as a non-master volume amp and the GTL as the master volume model. The GT1 is the GTO and GTL in one amp and should have about the same amount of gain as an MV Electric but not QUITE as buzzsaw and haggard sounding. It's up to you to decide if that's a good thing or bad thing. I personally love the Electric's dizzying fuzzy howl.

Honestly, you could get a Sound City 120 and a good fuzz pedal of your choosing and rock out just as hard.

But yeah.. I don't know what'd get you the closest to the Sleep album sound. Live, they used Matamp "Green" GT120s back in the 90s and those are pretty much identical to Orange OR120s.. though I believe you'll need to push them with a boost or something else to get that much gain out of them. Don't just go for any Matamp you find, though. Their newer amps are mostly all more modern designs and some of the amps designed in between the current lineup and their older designs are more modern, too. The Green/Red one-off prototypes, the GTV, LX, etc wouldn't be what you're looking for.

In their current lineup, Orange has the Retro 50 which might be as close as you'll get from them in a NEW Orange amp. Matamp has the GT1, GT Retro, and GT200 (200W version of the GT120 which is just.... crazy). I may seem like I'm rambling here but, really, you could go with tons of different amps and get close to the sound with the right tweaks and right guitar.

• Members

Thanks for the info man. I'm not looking to copy the Sleep sound exactly, i was just using it as reference point, as they have a killer, thick, fuzz tone. I really want to order an electic, but $2500 and a year wait are not my cup of tea. A lot can happen in a year+... I'm gonna do more research on the Oranges and like-minded amps...I have a bunch of Fuzz pedals i run into my late 80's Mesa MKIII, which all sound incredibly awesome, but not quite "there" if ya know what i mean?...Then again, It's a MV amp; i'm wondering how those fuzz pedals would sound through a NMV? hmmmmm...or maybe even a Sunn Model T...Thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it!:thu:

• Members

In the mean time get a cheap amp that is dark/thick in tone and a good muff style fuzz (Supercollider, Musket, or Bluebeard come to mind) and that will get you close enough to hold you over until you find out what you really want.

I have a Blackstar ht5 (only 5 watts and dosen't have a ton of low end) but when I crank it a bit through a 2x12 with the Musket it gets a doomy/stonery as I need...for now :evil:

Edit - Just saw your sig and that you have a Meathead...so you obviously know this.

• Members
Thanks for the info man. I'm not looking to copy the Sleep sound exactly, i was just using it as reference point, as they have a killer, thick, fuzz tone. I really want to order an electic, but $2500 and a year wait are not my cup of tea. A lot can happen in a year+... I'm gonna do more research on the Oranges and like-minded amps...I have a bunch of Fuzz pedals i run into my late 80's Mesa MKIII, which all sound incredibly awesome, but not quite "there" if ya know what i mean?...Then again, It's not a MV amp; i'm wondering how those fuzz pedals would sound through a NMV? hmmmmm...or maybe even a Sunn Model T...Thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it!
:thu:

Funny, I owned a Mark III that I sold to fund the purchase of the Electric, myself. I just couldn't get there, either. I tried a bunch of pedals and stuff but it wasn't quite what I wanted. I was especially unhappy with it having previously owned a Matamp.

What I would do if I were you is make a list of amps you'd go for and just do frequent searches for all of them. With used amps, if you don't like what you get, you can probably flip it for exactly what you paid for it the next week anyway.

• Members

Speakers...you guys must have read my mind... I was gonna post on this thread about this...I'm looking to replace the 2 speakers in my Mesa Recto cab. The V30 are, well, blah...Any recommandations? Man-o-wars? GT75's? Obvisously going for that old school huge "StonerRock" tone...line em up! Thanks!

• Members

Speakers...you guys must have read my mind... I was gonna post on this thread about this...I'm looking to replace the 2 speakers in my Mesa Recto cab. The V30 are, well, blah...Any recommandations? Man-o-wars? GT75's? Obvisously going for that old school huge "StonerRock" tone...line em up! Thanks!

A Man-O-War and a Tonker.......... if you're looking for the real sludge!!

• Members

I have GT75s in a 2x12 Marshall cab. I like them, but they probably aren't the best choice for stoner/doom tones - seems like the bottom end is too tight to get really sludgey.

I have been thinking of trying some CRex or G12h30s to see if they are more balanced (i.e. less mid hump with more bottom end).

• Members

I just have to say it is snowing like a mother{censored}er!!!!!!!!! We've got about 18 inches right now and it's coming down like crazy!!! OK I got that out......... carry on.

Well I'm on the east side of this state and we're seeing it come piling in now, too. Only a couple of inches so far but the radar makes it look like this is going to get really ugly, soon.

Archived