Ohm ????? Please explain this.

88mm

• Members

I know this has been covered before. BUT...... I want to make sure

-

Is it okay to run an 8ohm tube amp into a 16ohm speaker?

-

Other than sound what harm can it do?

-

It wouldn't need to work as hard to push but I want the experts or experienced to chime in for some piece of mind.

-

Thanks for your time:)

• Members

In other words. Don't mismatch. Play it safe, and use the proper impedance.

I believe that's what he was trying to say.

Yes this, I have heard of some people saying it's safe to have the head more ohms then the cab (head 8 and cab 4) OR IT WAS PROBABLY THE OTHER WAY AROUND I FORGET but regardless you're supposed to match them!

• Members

WOW!
Sounds like no to me.
Just had these speakers and thought I could get by for awhile.

Looks like i will wait and make sure i have a proper match before continuing.
Thanks!
-
Sorry to open the can of worms again

• Members

I've heard amp techs and builders say both things. Higher to lower is worse and lower to higher is worse. My advice...match it. What is at stake is your output transformer...you can blow it with a mismatch.

Amp lower to cab higher can cause arcing in the power tubes and OT which can damage or ruin them.

Amp higher to cab lower puts extra stress on the power tubes which wears them out faster. In mild cases it may not be so bad but if they fail before you replace them because they wore out faster than you expected they can cause damage to the OT or other parts of the amp.

Which is worse? :idk: They both have the potential to be pretty bad IMO.

The above is true for *most* tube amps but of course there are exceptions. I recall reading that certain older marshalls were particularly sensitive to high-low impedance mismatch and could blow the OT right away.

Archived