VOX AC30 6tb vs CC2

greg182

• Members

is it worth the extra money for the 6tb(1990-2005)? I really want to get an ac30 and i can't decide. the master volume on the cc2 seems like a good feature for practice but everyone i talk to says they don't sound as good as the tb6s. i'm looking for perfect clean tone and the ability to get good tube breakup at a decent volume. what do you guys think?:confused:

• Members

I have a CC2 and it's great. The reliability issues seem to have been sorted out now. The master volume is great. I think they do sound as good as the 6tb, but you have to turn it up way loud to do that. Whatever you get, try to get the Celestion blues, as they are awesome.

• Members

Research here.....seems to me the consensus is that the CCs are really nice....especially on the Normal channel

I've been researching myself.....since I just picked up a AC30BM.....and own a AC30CC. I actually posted there about the BM....but haven't gotten any replies. Not too much info on there about the BMs. Although, my experience is limited to those two models alone.

The reliability issues related to the CC series were based upon the first shipment of AC30s. They were loading with {censored}ty tubes, mainly the rectifier. Now they ship with EH power tubes and Tung Sol Pre and rectifier tubes stock.

I've written a lot about the differences between the CC and the BM lately.....

The CC has all of the bells and whistles that makes it VERY flexible in dialing in exactly what you want. It's got everything. The BM on the other had only has a single volume knob......half power switch, and built in treble boost with two output modes. That's it.

I can't provide a scientific comparison....since the BM has Blues.....and my CC has Weber Alinco Sig 12As (better suited for big bottomed Fenders). I usually pair my CC up with a 2x12 extension cab with Greenbacks to fill out the bottom end and add some growl.

Anyway, the CC sounds good. It's got a lot more top end chime then the BM. A little bit more sparkle and sweetness on the cleaner tones. The low end gets flabby and muddy sometimes at max gain settings. The reverb is kinda crappy......if seems to take over at higher settings. The Trem is nice, but I rarely use it.

The Brian May on the other hand, sounds great. It's so much fuller and louder then the CC. I was afraid that a single knob wouldn't be able to handle multiple guitars. Surprisingly, it sounds good with everything. The low end is tight.....and a lot more clean headroom then you'd expect. The cleans are really nice.....full, clear and balanced. There are a few videos on youtube of the BM, that actually sound like the amp. The player is pretty good too.

The tone almost has a Vox mixed with a Marshall type tone.

With a Strat...some of that sparkle appears but it's voiced with a beefier low end and throaty mid range to the CC. When you crank it up.......wow.......that's when you really cream your shorts. The tone is similar to Brian May's. His tone is an AC30 cranked way up......that's my tone, and a bunch of people's tones. It can do roaring monster gain down to nice rhythym guitar crunch. Again, not having tone controls...isn't an issue. It just sounds "right" no matter what.

Whew. So overall, the AC30CC will get you most of the way there.......the wharfdales are most of the problem.....terrible speaker for the AC30. I think the Blues are worth it, now that I've played them. They're something that you can keep with you forever....even if you sell the amp. Well worth the tonal improvement.

The BM sounds much better to my ears......it has that "magic" the CC is missing.

Conversely, you need to get out and play them.

• Members

Josh - Your CC is missing the Blues. They really do make THAT much of a difference.

Clay's CC w/Blues actually sounds better than my old Korg RI w/blues. Granted I didn't hear them back to back, but his CC was simply killer while the Korg was just nice. All the classic AC30 tones, lots of nice features to make it more usable in a day to day setting.

• Members

I have a CC2 and it's great. The reliability issues seem to have been sorted out now. The master volume is great. I think they do sound as good as the 6tb, but you have to turn it up way loud to do that. Whatever you get, try to get the Celestion blues, as they are awesome.

I agree totally esp about the volume part, the magic does not happen until you start to really gun that amp. Blues imo are a must.

• Members

i used to own the 6tb... however had to sell.... really want it back too.

Ive played the CC and it does sound quite nice actually, however am worried about the reliability issues.

had my CCH for a couple years now -- I love it :love:--reliability issues: once i got the right rectifier tube in it, I have had no other problems.

• Members

Here's my take on the AC30's I have (you'll see that I really dig the AC30 tone).

AC30 TBX/6 -- two of them, one '95 and one '96. Both are built like tanks and have taken a bunch of abuse. They are loaded with blues and can be painfully loud. They can take pedals fine, but the top boost channel can be picky with fuzzes, which is one of my main effects (I do psych music). Note that these amps can be a bit noisy so keep that in mind if that bothers you (it doesn't bother me, I usually use P90s so my rigs are always noisy anyway).

AC30 CC1 -- this is the discontinued 1x12. The stock speaker in that amp is actually pretty good. I have had it for two years with no problems. It is not all that noisy. The gain/master volume arrangement along with the other tone shaping options are nice to have at times but the traditional AC30 suits my needs better when I am in a situation where I can play with some volume.

AC30 H2 or whatever the new "hand wired" is called. I love the EF86 channel on this amp. The normal channel is great also. This amp is even more limited in its options than the AC30 TBX/6 (no trem channel). The internals are a bit of a joke for an expensive amp. I would not take this amp on the road.

The CC amps are a very good value. The mid-90's vintage AC30's are a great amp if you want the full-on AC30 sound in a rugged form.

The heritage amps are great if you want to sound good at home or maybe the studio

• Members

Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised
:cool:

Okay, I tried it out.

The CC sounds a million times better with the Blues. wow. :love:

Everything I didn't like about the CC was fixed with the blues.

Blues are the only speaker for the AC30s. :thu:

That said....the AC30BM sounds better then the CC, hands down.

• Members

Okay, I tried it out.

The CC sounds a million times better with the Blues. wow.
:love:
Everything I didn't like about the CC was fixed with the blues.

Blues are the only speaker for the AC30s.
:thu:

That's what I wanted to hear! First blue should be arriving today. NSD? is that an acronym? :wave:

• Members

They don't sound all that bad though.

I compared my AC30BM and AC30CC......the CC sounded really good, and had a ton more available tones. The BM just sounded more powerful, and clearer. I'd pick the BM over the CC everytime.....but the CCs certainly aren't {censored}.

• Members

That said....the AC30BM sounds better then the CC, hands down.

I always just assumed the BM version was from the same line as the CC, but without the associated tone circuitry so I kind of dismissed it. Maybe I was wrong?

• Members

I always just assumed the BM version was from the same line as the CC, but without the associated tone circuitry so I kind of dismissed it. Maybe I was wrong?

It sounds very different.

I can't comment on how much the BM sounds like a vintage AC30 TBX or the like. All I know is the CC sounds weak in comparison to the BM.

Something to consider though, the BM has an issue with ghost notes.....just like the vintage AC30s. Something to do with the choke and the filtering. These are characteristic to the tone achieved......

• Members

It sounds very different.

I can't comment on how much the BM sounds like a vintage AC30 TBX or the like. All I know is the CC sounds weak in comparison to the BM.

Something to consider though, the BM has an issue with ghost notes.....just like the vintage AC30s. Something to do with the choke and the filtering. These are characteristic to the tone achieved......

Really, I'm going to have to check it out then. I've seen them pop up on eBay from time to time but never paid much attention to them. I just did a quick search and it looks like it was a limited run of 500 units. That's not super limited though, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find a used one some day. Thanks for the info.

• Members

I think the fact that the price was set so high new....is the reason these amps didn't get any exposure. Along with the whole "one volume" knob thing....that must have scared most away. I've been jamming on mine for a few days now.....and not once have I wanted an EQ. From what I've read, they only shipped 200 to the States.

Listen to this clip......you can hear the ghost notes.

Just beware. The BM is extremely loud. :D

• Members

"ghost notes"

are those the "implied harmonies" right in the beginning? (where it sounds like there's a third being played above the note).

If that's the definition, then that's really no problem. Those are just really loud upper-echelon harmonic overtones. If anything, it's a tribute to just how quality of a sonic instrument the ac30 is that it is able to produce such strong overtones.

• Members

Just beware. The BM is extremely loud.
:D

Works for me! Nothing like an AC30 opened up. If it is anything like the volume on the AC30TBX then I'm well prepared.

Just what I needed...something else to keep on the look out for...:facepalm:

Thanks for the clip. I'll have to give it a listen when I get home.

• Members

It's more of a ring modulation underneath the fundamental tone. Kind of like a robot or alien talking underneath. If it were an exact octave or 3rd or 5th....it probably wouldn't be as bad.....it's just an odd tone underneath everything. Supposedly like cone cry? :idk:

It's only noticeable to me when I'm cranking it up (over noon on the volume control (LOUD)) in 30w mode. I haven't had a chance to jam in a band with it yet, but I'm sure it would be near impossible to hear in that setting. Apparently, it's thee nature of the AC30 beast.

• Members

Works for me! Nothing like an AC30 opened up. If it is anything like the volume on the AC30TBX then I'm well prepared.

Just what I needed...something else to keep on the look out for...
:facepalm:
Thanks for the clip. I'll have to give it a listen when I get home.

My CC sounds good cranked up, but it doesn't approach the BM in volume, tone and roar.

It's cool to hear the actual solo on it own.......Brian May is a great player.

How would you characterize the tone of the TBX?

I've been trying to find out the differences between the BM and the other AC30s.

• Members

It's more of a ring modulation underneath the fundamental tone. Kind of like a robot or alien talking underneath. If it were an exact octave or 3rd or 5th....it probably wouldn't be as bad.....it's just an odd tone underneath everything. Supposedly like cone cry?
:idk:

It's only noticeable to me when I'm cranking it up (over noon on the volume control (LOUD)) in 30w mode. I haven't had a chance to jam in a band with it yet, but I'm sure it would be near impossible to hear in that setting. Apparently, it's thee nature of the AC30 beast.

I saw someplace that there's a mod for the AC30BM that increases the power supply filtering to get rid of the ghosting.

Old Marshall plexis also did ghosting due to under-filtered power supplies.

In Marshalls, the trade off is that increasing the filtering too much will stiffen the response (i.e. not as much sag).

In class A amps, since the power tubes are always 'on', this wouldn't be as big a factor, since sag is asking your power supply for more than it can handle temporarily and class A is always cooking.

Archived