Can I Silverface my '65 BF Super Reverb!

AzunigaToo

• Members

Ok, maybe this is just too much amp for me but...

1. It is not what I am used to from loving the "Tele through a Twin twang thang"

2. It is too trebly, staty, edgey....

3. It takes too much work on the tone knobs to tame the tone. I am a 'tele all up' (guitar tone and vol max'd) kinda guy and all of my 7 or so silverface twins, deluxes, BMRs, bassmans seem to like that. Any amp tone settings and the guitar vol & tone all up - And Rock Out! With by '66 Blackface Super Reverb I have to rollback the guitars tone and volume to take the edge off.

4. I can find a good tone (probably Fantastic tone to some) but the tone knobs have to be at 4 or 5 to get there.

Yes, it was just tech'd. I had if for 3 years in the closet because I did not have time or money to tech it out. Now that I have, I am not sure it was worth the $150 for tubes, caps, and fully papered teching.

SO, IS THERE SUCH A THING AS SILVERFACING A BLACKFACE AMP?

I know it sounds sacrilegious but if it ain't me it ain't me! Maybe it is better off in the hands of a Strat guy, so selling it is an option.

What say you - thanks for the suggestions!

BTW, I do have a BF '65 Deluxe Reverb and a '65 Princeton Reverb that sounds fantastic - keepers for life. They too have a bit of BF Edge to them but it is tolerable (well even desirable and great sounding strumming a tele )!!!

• Members

I'll swap my SF for your BF.
:)

Well, It's not the money thing but my amp is 'probably' worth a little more that the silverface. It's more of the 'I have a BF Super' that I hang on to it.

But let me ask you, does your SFSR have that edgy/straty sound? Does it have tons of headroom? If it does sounds Silverface-ish then maybe there is hope for this BF Super Reverb.

I would of course be careful to make sure it can be reversed and taken back to Stock. No holes drilled etc. If it is so easy to BF a SF then shouldn't the reverse be true.

What do you think I can sell it for?

• Members

you sure you got amenable tubes in that thing? sounds to me like like a frontside fulla garbage preamp tubes...

CAN BAD ({censored}TY) Preamp tubes make an amp sound thin, edgy, trebly??

I just had a 'new' tech guy go through it. And now he has one of my SF Twins. I will ask him if he checked that out.

• Members

CAN BAD ({censored}TY) Preamp tubes make an amp sound thin, edgy, trebly??

I just had a 'new' tech guy go through it. And now he has one of my SF Twins. I will ask him if he checked that out.

oh yeah.. power tubes just as bad.. if you're looking at some really crappy electro harmonix or sovteks... you could be looking at the culprits.

sheesh man-- that's a pretty basic circuit, so every tube counts! take a look and see what you've got... i know plenty of techs who default to 'cheapest available tube for the job'... sad as it may be..

• Members

oh yeah.. power tubes just as bad.. if you're looking at some really crappy electro harmonix or sovteks... you could be looking at the culprits.

sheesh man-- that's a pretty basic circuit, so every tube counts! take a look and see what you've got... i know plenty of techs who default to 'cheapest available tube for the job'... sad as it may be..

I've got some cheapo sovtek's in mine now and it definitely makes a big difference in a negative way. Must retube when I get a chance. Might get rid of the few small complaints I have about that amp.

• Members

Something is wrong. A BFRS shouldn't sound thin at all. However, I never run the Treble/Bass up all the way on any Fender amp. The range on the pot is there for a reason. If it sounds good with the treble backed off, then just back the treble off. :idk: It doesn't matter how you set your other amps, because they're not the same.

Have it recapped, retubed, etc... before trying to "silverface" it.

Do you have the "Bright Switch" engaged?

• Members

Something is wrong. A BFRS shouldn't sound thin at all. However, I never run the Treble/Bass up all the way on any Fender amp. The range on the pot is there for a reason. If it sounds good with the treble backed off, then just back the treble off.
:idk:
It doesn't matter how you set your other amps, because they're not the same.

Have it recapped, retubed, etc... before trying to "silverface" it.

Do you have the "Bright Switch" engaged?

Oh, I won't change a thing without trying everything and thanks for checking but yes I have tried bright switch on, off, up, down, tone pot slow, high, mid.

I'd don't think I every run any amp with tone pots max'd either. These just have a wider range of effectiveness which I am sure is a good thing but it takes some getting used to. And really needs to be played with before you (or at least I) get an aceptable tone.

I spent some time and have come to realized IT CAN SOUND INCREDIBLE! It's just a Diva and wants to be seduced into it not just 'banged' on for a quicky.

So, here is what it takes

1. She needs to warm up. not just 30 seconds, or 3 minutes or even 13 minutes but a full 30 minutes (about the time it takes to finish that first glass of wine). Once warm she relaxes in her seat and begins to 'give it up'. Smoother, less edgy, warm and sensual.

2. You can't just expect to show up, turn it on and get her into bed. You need to work her knobs a little, the girl likes foreplay. The s-lower (settings) the better. TMB at 5 or less is just about ready to bark but still smooth and punchy round tone.

3. She loves my Keeley Modded Blues Driver as a boost with a MXR Dyna comp in front it it. Mmmmm... If we want to freak a little my Fulltone Full-Drives her crazy!

4. Last Ingredient: My Original Brown '72 Tele Custom Deluxe with 'F'-Hole, Humbukers and a really "Big"-bsy.

=========> I'm getting Some Tonight for sure!!!

• Members

Oh, I won't change a thing without trying everything and thanks for checking but yes I have tried bright switch on, off, up, down, tone pot slow, high, mid.

I'd don't think I every run any amp with tone pots max'd either. These just have a wider range of effectiveness which I am sure is a good thing but it takes some getting used to. And really needs to be played with before you (or at least I) get an aceptable tone.

I spent some time and have come to realized IT CAN SOUND INCREDIBLE! It's just a Diva and wants to be seduced into it not just 'banged' on for a quicky.

1. She needs to warm up. not just 30 seconds, or 3 minutes or even 13 minutes but a full 30 minutes (about the time it takes to finish that first glass of wine). Once warm she relaxes in her seat and begins to 'give it up'. Smoother, less edgy, warm and sensual.

2. You can't just expect to show up, turn it on and get her into bed. You need to work her knobs a little, the girl likes foreplay. The s-lower (settings) the better. TMB at 5 or less is just about ready to bark but still smooth and punchy round tone.

3. She loves my Keeley Modded Blues Driver as a boost with a MXR Dyna comp in front it it. Mmmmm... If we want to freak a little my Fulltone Full-Drives her crazy!

4. Last Ingredient: My Original Brown '72 Tele Custom Deluxe with F-Hole, Humbukers and Bigsy.

Right on mang! Sounds like a killer setup.

I have a thing for Fender 4x10's as well:

DSCN1372.jpg

• Members

4. Last Ingredient: My Original Brown '72 Tele Custom Deluxe with F-Hole, Humbukers and Bigsy.

Dude, you need to get laid, your amp is not attempting to seduce you.:facepalm:

• Members

Right on mang! Sounds like a killer setup.

I have a thing for Fender 4x10's as well:

DSCN1372.jpg

Wow! nice amp. What is that Gretsch there? Yeah, I have this Super and a Silverface Bassmen Ten that sounds fantastic with a little boost!

Those P90s look like they can really Bite!

• Members

If it wasn't true then why does she it have a RECTO-fier TUBE SOCKET!?!

So good it had to be posted twice??:lol:

I recommennd shoving your chosen appendage in this socket and powering it up to get over this fetish. I gaurentee it'll cure you quick:eek:

Archived