JCM800 NWOBHM tone hints?

glenecho

• Members

OK...well first of all let me just preface this by saying that I'm not trying to pull this off on a REAL JCM800...I'm using my AxeFX...so get all of your flames out right now.

OK...the JCM800 model is much like I remember the real JCM being...that is, to me, not quite enough gain and when I push it hard the bass gets flubby. I'm trying to get good early 80s type NWOBHM tones, similar to Maiden/classic Priest etc.

Anyone got any hints for how to get some definition into this {censored}er? I used to have the same issues with real 800s. Ideally, something like the Defenders of the Faith tone or Number of the Beast type tones would be cool. Am I barking up the wrong tree even TRYING to use a JCM800 model? I'm generally pairing the JCM model with a Celestion 75 type cabinet as I understand that was considered THE combination, but who knows.

Any hints or suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Members

Ya, boost w/ a tubescreamer or something like that.

Don't max out the master volume, it does flub the bass up. Back it off to around 6-8.

Dial the treble to taste but don't try fight the brightness of the amp by turning the treble way down, embrace it for what it is.

The tube screamer cuts some of the bass so you can dial the bass knob in to taste, without a boost I tend run the bass fairly low and just let the amp scream.

A super distortion in the bridge really adds to the classic maiden flavor as well IMO.

This is based on my experience with the 2204, YMMV. And I don't know what NWOBHM is :o

• Members

Ya, boost w/ a tubescreamer or something like that.

Don't max out the master volume, it does flub the bass up. Back it off to around 6-8. At least that's what I like on my 2204, dunno about the 2203 or channel switchers.

Dial the treble to taste but don't try fight the brightness of the amp by turning the treble way down, embrace it for what it is.

The tube screamer cuts some of the bass so you can dial the bass knob in to taste, without a boost I tend run the bass fairly low and just let the amp scream.

A super distortion in the bridge really adds to the classic maiden flavor as well IMO.

Yep...that's what I'm using...a Super Distortion in the bridge of a gold top Les Paul.

• Members

MXR Distortion + (vintage or analogman mods ONLY) and the DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 (any will work but the analogman mod is a better pedal) are classic combos to get those tones out of 800's... they keep the low-end in tact better than tubescreamer based pedals and have more growl and less "honkiness" in the mids, plus sound thicker and more organic to my ears.

Only thing is, how does the Axe Fx sound being pushed by a pedal? Cause all my solid state gear sounds like {censored} when I try to boost it like tube gear.

_TJK*

• Members

Only thing is, how does the Axe Fx sound being pushed by a pedal? Cause all my solid state gear sounds like {censored} when I try to boost it like tube gear.

My Pod XT actually sounds better hit with a real boost pedal than it does the internal boost modeling. Obviously not an Axe-FX, but take it for what it's worth. I assume glenecho is planning on using the onboard models for the boost, but when you assume...

• Members

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.

My Pod XT actually sounds better hit with a real boost pedal than it does the internal boost modeling. Obviously not an Axe-FX, but take it for what it's worth. I assume glenecho is planning on using the onboard models for the boost, but when you assume...

I am using the onboard boosts. So far with the advice on this thread I'm getting a pretty decent tone without a boost though. Probably was making the same mistake that I was in the 80s...and that is NOT turning the {censored}er up. It's one thing to turn up the volume but another thing altogether to also push the Master Volume. With both on roughly 6.5 I'm starting to get the British tone dialed in better. Then I'm kicking in a (virtual) SD-1 for a solo boost along with a touch of delay. With the neck pickup on I'm starting to get into that Dave Murray neck tone area.

FWIW, I also used to boost my Pod XT with a (real) Bad Monkey. It worked wonders for it. So far I haven't tried it with the AxeFX but the higher gain models have a lot more definition than the Pod's so I haven't found myself needing to use as many boosts.

Thanks for all the advice so far fellas.

Guest Anonymous

On Marshalls, more mids = more crunch. Try turning the mids up and the bass down.

THIS (especially the "bass down" part). :thu:

I have my 800 set somthing like this and the brown sound crunch is awesome out of it (with or without a little clean boost via an OCD or Bad Monkey):

Bass 10 (o'clocks...)

Mid 2-3

Treb 11

Prez 12

Pre-gain FULL

Both volumes (2205) 1-2 (o'clock)

• Members

I was working for a while on an Iron Maiden kind of sound using the JCM800 and boosting it. Its my main patch but to be honest its not 100% there yet and i haven't had time to mess with it in a few weeks but i remember going to the top of the page where the stickies are on the axe-fx forum and downloading them impulses.

There was a Marshall 1960 Cab impulse there that was WAY better suited than any of the standard cabs in teh Axe-fx. I loaded that up it got me much closer. I just have to go back now and fine tune my patch. Hopefully ill have time now tonight....

• Members

No boosts. NWOBHM was not that distorted.

Moderate gain, master cranked and EQ to taste. 75's of course :-)

I've definitely remained closer to that tone by not using boosts so far. My base tone is real close but I think the cab sim isn't quite there. Going to try some impulses later tonight then post some clips tomorrow to get some feedback.

• 11 years later...

Archived