it has finally hit me and im not sure if you will agree or disagree.....

murdock

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Post-Metal/sludge? realy? I wasn't even born til 87 and i still think 80's music is better than alot of the crap that came out in the last ten years. Underground music is a different story. Good music is out there it just isn't popular so you gotta find it.

• Members

The last few years especially have been terrible for new releases and my tastes are very varied. Just feels to me that boundaries arent being pushed like they were.

I've also never known a time where theres so many bands in pop music all with the exact same type of sound over here. Record companies really do have mainstream music by the balls.

• Members

strong first post
:eek:

+1! First n00b to show real potential in quite a while. :thu:

I dunno that I can agree with the OP's blanket statement, though. It's entirely subjective, of course, but each of the four decades I've lived through, anyway, has had its share of both excellent music and sheer crap.

Over the past 10 years, Porcupine Tree alone makes it all worthwhile for me (even though they've actually been around much longer than that), helped along the way by bands & artists like Mastodon, Opeth, Guthrie Govan, Andy Timmons, Ian Thornley (Big Wreck), Bloodbath, Devin Townsend/SYL, Derek Trucks, Gov't. Mule, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Buckethead, Los Lonley Boys, etc., many of whom also have been around longer, but have all made fantastic music over the past 10 years, IMO.

:idk: YMMV

• Members

IDK, IMO the second half of the 90s was terrible.

Not as terrible as the 2nd half of the 00's

Seriously, I play in a rock cover band, and it's getting hard to find stuff to add to our set list! We played the new Green Day single last week and we were all excited to have a new song that doesn't completely blow.

The biggest rock band right now, from what I can see from audience reactions, is {censored}ing Fallout Boy! And to be honest, compared with other contemporary crap on commercial radio, it's kind of good.

I mean, compared to Buckcherry or Seether...

So what we play is mostly 90's stuff, and even the kids react better to that! The Offspring, old Green Day, black-album era Metallica, Pantera, 90's era AC/DC, Blur, Def Leppard, Nirvana, Rage against the machine.

The song that fills the dance floor every time, and I mean EVERY time, is The kids aren't alright by The Offspring. That's 10 years old, most people in the audience were still kids back then.

And regarding all those metal bands you guys listen to right now, I'm sorry, I just can't. All I'm hearing is a lame attempt at sounding like the bands I grew up with. I saw Death, Cannibal Corpse, Pantera, Carcass, and some others, live before my eyes about 15 years ago. And to me it seems it hasn't changed much since. Singers nowaday don't even scream for real, they fake it by inhaling. I can't listen to LOG because of that, gets on my nerve. You want to be metal? Gotta scream your guts out little boy!

• Members
Fail. 80's was terrible. The 00's had lots of good music. Circa Survive, Relationship of Command was released in 2000, etc etc
:idea:

Pop music does and will always suck

The 80's were terrible. There were {censored}loads of classic tunes from the 80's.

Look at the works of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Scorpions, AC/DC, Accept, and Slayer to name just a few.

• Members

I think it's an age thing.

Not to mention how new things were, mostly in rock and roll, in those decades. 70's was the beggining of getting heavy, 80's saw loud shredding guitars, 90's saw a lot of turrible {censored}, I really haven't heard too much that's been considered ground breaking in quite some time. I think that's what does it.

There are those groundbreaking bands with those sounds that are just so awesomely new, almost genre defining, but unfortunately those don't grow big enough to be considered "pop" and be played to the general ignorant public music listeners. You know the kind, the people who listen to "everything."

I really do think it's age though. I feel like the 90's were absolute {censored}, but I've only been exposed to 90's pop culture tunes, because I was barely growing up during the 90's.

• Members

Maybe it has to do with technology and the internet. Back in the day you actually believed bands like Cannibal Corpse were cold blooded killers, now you can go on the net and see them having Thanksgiving dinner with their Grandparents. There is no mystery anymore.

the mystique factor is definitely gone. thats something teenagers now will never understand.

• Members

its called getting older.

welcome to the beginning of getting out of touch.

its happened to the hippies, the disco bunnies, and the punks.

nah- i agree that this decade has really sucked ass. except for the metal resurgence, what has this decade given us that's worth a {censored}? crooked hats and 50 cent? lol

of course the 90s was a really tuff act to follow. i mean the alternative rock explosion just kind of basically broke all the rules that the big record executives go by trying to sell popular crap and make money and it did it successfully. by default anything after generation X was going to suck hard. highs and lows. lol :idk:

seems like these days alot of bands and pop 'acts' have fallen back into being the record companies bitches and looking/sounding like they're told to look/sound.

• Members
between the buried and me, anyone? that one band alone prevents the decade from failing as hard as the 70's did.

That band alone is the main reason why music sucks ass now.
:facepalm:

There is always good music out there as long as there are good musicians, its just harder to find.

Jeez, BTBAM....:facepalm:

• Members

There is lots of great music from every decade if you're willing to look for it and aren't some asshole that's hung up on only listening to one genre. And yeah, Bach actually does rock. I mean if the OP is turning on mainstream radio only and making this kinda judgement I would still disagree. There are some good bands getting airtime but its also extremely lazy to not use the resources on the net to find new bands that you like. If you can't find any music from the 2000s that you like you aren't looking hard enough, IMO.

• Members

I look at it this way... My litmus test for music is whether I can throw it on in the weight room first thing in the morning and not get beat up.

Seriously tho...

I find myself listening to stuff that come out in the 80's or before mostly. Some 90's and very little modern stuff. I've got 100gb or so of music on my computer and a monster CD collection of stuff that hasn't been ripped. I tend to believe that each decade has its turds and its jems. You just have to find them.

Typical playlist in the morning would be AC-DC Back in Black or something followed by GnR Appetite or some Zep or something. Sometimes I'll throw in straight up metal like Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power (Still the best metal album ever you noobs) for nostalgic value (I got my jaw dislocated at that show back in late '92)

{censored}... The other day I threw in some Tears for Fears and was actually grooving to some of it. Dude was a great songwriter and guitar player... :facepalm:

Oh... I've got boxes and boxes of classical CD's as well. Bheetoven is actually pretty good lifting music as well.

Archived