what does success mean to you guys?

bluesbox101

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

being able to turn my amp on and find the light goes on.

having my guitars intonated so i can fret them anywhere and not frown.

writing songs i enjoy.

affording the tools i need to put music to tape in a way that's remotely representative of how it actually sounds in my head.

playing at least occasionally with people that i click with.

that i enjoy it.

none of it comes from money derived from PLAYING music or ever has. i'm really saddened by the amount of money mentioned in this thread, because after a long time doing it.. for me at least, i realize that money and music... aren't necessarily inversely proportional.. but sometimes my enjoyment of music and money are.

• Members

It all depends-

If music is a hobby and nothing more, then success can be any level of maturing in music, maybe recording some tunes at home and practicing to be Joe ProDuca! Covering songs in a band.

If music is a profession, it becomes a job AKA work. Everything changes at that level.

There are hobbyists that play with photography, and there are pro photographers that earn six figures.. any can create interesting art forms or be just as talented. One does it for a living, the other does not.

Hobbyists- not concerned with $, time commitments, critics. That equates to happy with myspace and not having potential earnings from their music.

Professional- earns stable living via the art, more concerned with time commitments, etc. More inclined to pursue a pro label, tours, expenses/investments well beyond the hobbyist level.

Other than the music, there is no correlation regarding success. One is on one level, the other is not even close to being on the same level.

• Members

Being completely on top of my game, as far as musical skill. I don't have to do it for a living, but I want to be as good or better than most pros. I'm obsessed with getting better at all the instruments I play regularly. I hang out with too many full time musicians to half-ass my way around practicing.

Success also means that I'm prolific in my writing and composition. If I'm not making new music, I feel like I'm stagnating.

2 hours a day, people!

• Members

I'm not in it for the money. I wanted to make it when I was younger but I like my job more than music. It's the only thing that I enjoy more and I never thought I'd find that.

As far as music I'd be happy just being able to write songs and hand them out. No money. Occasional weekend gig. But not with metal music.

Been in plenty of metal bands. Played the gigs.

I really want to be an acoustic writer. But I doubt it'll ever happen. I'm not the best guitarist ever but I can play most of the stuff I listen to when it comes to metal. When it comes to acoustic I can play some really cool flashy stuff at first but then I run out. Not enough material and can't seem to come up with more.

I just finished writing my first acoustic album not long ago. It was way too difficult. I spent countless nights working very hard on all my off days to get that thing recorded. I recorded it 3 times. I guess I wish it was easier.

If I was one of those guys who could pick it up and do it like it's nothing instead of it taking me {censored}ing 48 hours to write a song until I like it. When it comes to metal music I can write countless amounts of material non stop. When it comes to acoustic it's going to take a lot out of me to get enough material for a second album. I guess I feel the pressure from you guys and other guitarist I know that I can't put out any bull{censored} and be proud of it. I have to be proud of the guitar that's on there. And I'm good enough to do it but it takes a very long time with acoustic for me. It's not so much that I want to be technical or anything. I just want it to sound beautiful without sounding simple. I've been playing 12 years and I've finally gotten to the point that I can do this album.

I want to call it 6 strings and a notebook but I can't remember where I heard that and I don't know if it's taken. If it is I'm going to call it back to zero. I'm uploading it to myspace sometime this week I'll put it in my sig. It's being mastered right now waiting for it to get back to me.

• Members

there isn't really such a thing as success in music to me.

like, even though metallica is financially successful, they've been failing hard for over a decade.

But then, you are applying YOUR definition of success to Metallica. They are probably satisfied with their recent music even though you are not.

Archived