what does success mean to you guys?

bluesbox101

• Members

I'm not in it for the money. I wanted to make it when I was younger but I like my job more than music. It's the only thing that I enjoy more and I never thought I'd find that.

True, we all like saying this, but when you are earning a bar owner an extra $2000-3000 a night he would not be making otherwise, and he pays your band $300, money does become an issue as a matter of pride and principle.

Not making money is fine, just don't make someone else wealthy in the process.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Metallica is doing the best they can do right now. I don't really see them doing better than that last album. They aren't inspired like musicians who are trying to make it. I mean they are struggling to even stay together.

But it seems like most bands I know aren't inspired to make it anyway and none that I were in ever was. so I just quit the band thing and I'm doing my own thing like I said.

Doing vocals lessons and all to become good at it. I hope it's not all for nothing. I feel okay with what I've done so far but like I said I don't know how long it will take me to ever do another 10 songs. Those 10 took everything I had.

• Members

True, we all like saying this, but when you are earning a bar owner an extra $2000-3000 a night he would not be making otherwise, and he pays your band $300, money does become an issue as a matter of pride and principle.

Not making money is fine, just don't make someone else wealthy in the process.

Well, if it's a paying gig I'll take the money. But I mean i'm never going to try to sell my cd's like some bands. I'm going to spend my personal money to print them up and hand them out.

Free downloads on the computer too when I get a website.

So far the people I've let hear it like it a lot. I let a guy in one of my favorite bands hear it and he said I'm better than a lot of people on his label. But honestly if someone ever offered to sign me I'd turn it down.

Would love to be popular locally though.

• Members

I'm not in it for the money. I wanted to make it when I was younger but I like my job more than music. It's the only thing that I enjoy more and I never thought I'd find that.

As far as music I'd be happy just being able to write songs and hand them out. No money. Occasional weekend gig. But not with metal music.

Been in plenty of metal bands. Played the gigs.

I really want to be an acoustic writer. But I doubt it'll ever happen. I'm not the best guitarist ever but I can play most of the stuff I listen to when it comes to metal. When it comes to acoustic I can play some really cool flashy stuff at first but then I run out. Not enough material and can't seem to come up with more.

I just finished writing my first acoustic album not long ago. It was way too difficult. I spent countless nights working very hard on all my off days to get that thing recorded. I recorded it 3 times. I guess I wish it was easier.

If I was one of those guys who could pick it up and do it like it's nothing instead of it taking me {censored}ing 48 hours to write a song until I like it. When it comes to metal music I can write countless amounts of material non stop. When it comes to acoustic it's going to take a lot out of me to get enough material for a second album. I guess I feel the pressure from you guys and other guitarist I know that I can't put out any bull{censored} and be proud of it. I have to be proud of the guitar that's on there. And I'm good enough to do it but it takes a very long time with acoustic for me. It's not so much that I want to be technical or anything. I just want it to sound beautiful without sounding simple. I've been playing 12 years and I've finally gotten to the point that I can do this album.

I want to call it 6 strings and a notebook but I can't remember where I heard that and I don't know if it's taken. If it is I'm going to call it back to zero. I'm uploading it to myspace sometime this week I'll put it in my sig. It's being mastered right now waiting for it to get back to me.

damn. you sold me. Shoot me a PM when you have this ready for listening.

This is sorta what i've always done. If it's easy for me to do, i get bored a lotta times. So i've joined bands where i all but hated the style. Bands where i couldn't play the parts or memorize the changes without INTENSE hours of practice alone before practicing with the full band. Bands with more than 12 people in them. Jazz, Metal, Country, Folk, Pop, etc. I always come back to my own style later on, but i live to play and learn and grow.

Being able finally nail some crazy solo, off-time riff or strange chord progression and having another musician who plays that stuff exclusively say "wow, awesome."

that's success.

• Members

damn. you sold me. Shoot me a PM when you have this ready for listening.

This is sorta what i've always done. If it's easy for me to do, i get bored a lotta times. So i've joined bands where i all but hated the style. Bands where i couldn't play the parts or memorize the changes without INTENSE hours of practice alone before practicing with the full band. Bands with more than 12 people in them. Jazz, Metal, Country, Folk, Pop, etc. I always come back to my own style later on, but i live to play and learn and grow.

Being able finally nail some crazy solo, off-time riff or strange chord progression and having another musician who plays that stuff exclusively say "wow, awesome."

that's success.

Yeah, I should have it by this weekend. Out of all the work I hope it pays off. Just by having enough people like it.

It was a lot of fun but it was stressful. I'm looking forward to writing a second one I'm just a bit scared of it. I can't be one of these people that put the same album out each time. It has to be totally different the second time.

This first one is more of just everything I've learned with acoustic guitar in the past 12 years. It's very experimental . Haven't really found myself musically yet.

I'm hoping the second one has more of a solid sound that I feel like will be my own. I can tell I'm getting there. I plan on doing a two part cd next time. 20 songs. 10 on each. I guess I want to challenge myself and i know it's going to be really hard.

I want to write the first one this summer and the second this fall. I think after I'm done with the 3rd one I'll probably be where I want to be and I'll be gigging a lot. As of right now it's just about getting myself out there. I'm confident enough to know that some people will want to be in a live band doing it after it's out there.

• Members

Ive run that success race for many years.
I moved to where my chances of being signed was better, I passed up good jobs, I worked constantly just to get that illusive record deal.
Then I got it, toured, and it ended up not being what I wanted, but I have to say the band I was in didnt get famous or anything, I just got to play some amazing tours with some cool bands and make a little money.

Now Im 38.
And I do what I want. I write my songs, I sing them, I play when I want, I get full creative power to just have fun with friends and those who come out to see us play.
I enjoy this so much better.

I used to think in my younger years that when I was done chasing the record deal dream the whole race was going to be over, I was so wrong.
Success to me is just playing music for the last 22 years for people, being true to yourself and your bandmates, and just having fun...

• Members

care to elaborate?

Happiness=

Seeing the smile and laughter from my kids when I make up some random nonsense tune about their ears or something.

or

Tearing the roof of some bar during our set.

Money would be good but I not really an issue (I have a kickass job already). Besides, i don't think I would want to make music my job....then it would be my job rather than a hobby(

Archived