If you're in a metal band...

somata

• Members

and you bring your own plywood boxes to stand on/put a foot up on/jump off of......

you should be killed.

Jesus, saw Summer Slaughter in Chicago last night and I think that almost all of the young bands, (Blackguard, After the Burial, Winds of Plague, Born of Osiris) had plywood posing boxes. Darkest Hour had them too... So ridiculous. And if you were going to use plywood boxes, couldn't you coordinate to share them between bands? Also, it seems that if you have plywood boxes, you should also have identical printed screens in front of each guitar players rig, extra points if you almost knock them over when you go back to tune.

The biggest bummer is that Suffocation dropped off the tour. So of the 3 bands that I was going to see, one wasn't there. Origin and Necrophagist were both amazing though. Should have skipped it and headed in for Clutch on Saturday or The Faceless, Psyopus, Atheist tonight I guess...

• Members

Hahahhahahahahahhahhaa:facepalm:

That's pretty damn funny. Bring your poser box to a show.

Take it to the next level. Make the box a container. Then you can lift the lid and throw things out to the crowd. Dead Rats, bats, cookies, etc.:thu:

• Members

Petrucci has boxes because they don't use floor monitors anymore...at least that was my understanding.

Bring boxes or don't I couldn't give a flaming fart. I'm gonna do my thing which is let my music do the talking.

• Members

Meh, I'd use one if I wasn't too lazy to make them. A lot of places won't let you put a foot on the monitor, which I tend to do at certain parts of songs, as it helps get the guitar is a better playing position for certain things.

Having those boxes approximates the same thing, IMO. There are a few bands around who have them.

I'd just like to have a "cage" I could slide over the top of a monitor if I need to.

• Members
and you bring your own plywood boxes to stand on/put a foot up on/jump off of......

you should be killed.

Jesus, saw Summer Slaughter in Chicago last night and I think that almost all of the young bands, (Blackguard, After the Burial, Winds of Plague, Born of Osiris) had plywood posing boxes. Darkest Hour had them too... So ridiculous. And if you were going to use plywood boxes, couldn't you coordinate to share them between bands? Also, it seems that if you have plywood boxes, you should also have identical printed screens in front of each guitar players rig, extra points if you almost knock them over when you go back to tune.

The biggest bummer is that Suffocation dropped off the tour. So of the 3 bands that I was going to see, one wasn't there. Origin and Necrophagist were both amazing though. Should have skipped it and headed in for Clutch on Saturday or The Faceless, Psyopus, Atheist tonight I guess...

I thought you could use your monitors to do that kind of thing... :idk:

SteveHarris.jpgbruce_dickinson.jpg

• Members

Meh, I'd assume if I wasn't too lazy to make them. A lot of places won't let you put a foot on the monitor, which I tend to do at certain parts of songs, as it helps get the guitar is a better playing position for certain things.

Having those boxes approximates the same thing, IMO. There are a few bands around who have them.

I'd just like to have a "cage" I could slide over the top of a monitor if I need to.

I'm the same way. I've gotten told to stop stepping on floor monitors too. When I have to play a pretty hard/fast lick or solo section, I'm far more comfortable stepping on something because it puts the guitar at a better position to play said part, like you said.

I've used other bands stage "boxes" before. I don't give a {censored} if I look like a total tool to musicians. I honestly don't. People want to see a show. I've never been told by a single audience member/fan "Hey, you look like a {censored}ing idiot when you stand on that box."so I guess I'm alright. The only thing anyone has ever said was "It looked cool when you and your other guitar player both stood up for that one solo part". I don't go up there for the crabcore, but if we want to emphasize a part of a song a little more, then why not? I don't own a box, and I never will because I'm far too lazy to make one.

• Members

lol.. I saw one local 80's band that had a big plywood pyramid with a fan built in to it to blow the lead singers hair while he was in front of the mic.

We throw down when we play but we make use of what's already available - chairs, monitors, drum riser.. if there's no stage then go get crazy with the crowd. I can see it helps put on a more energetic/interesting show to watch but {censored} lugging around extra boxes. more {censored} to haul to a gig FTL.

• Members

The biggest bummer is that Suffocation dropped off the tour.

+ a billion. Didn't even bother going because most of the other good bands I had already seen and it wasn't worth standing through all of the deathcore {censored}. Of course I've seen Suffo live several times already, but every time is so friggin phenomenal...

• Members

I agree with the OP. People should just stop putting on a show at concerts. It's far more entertaining to watch someone sit in a chair and play weeedley weeeeedly licks for 30 minutes without moving.

In fact...don't even turn on the lights. I just want to HEAR the music. I didn't pay $30-$40 to watch guys move around and have a good time while playing music. If I wanted that, I would have just bought the CD.

• Members

How was Darkest Hour?

Aside from the posing boxes.

they were pretty thrashy...tons of solos and counter melodies. i've never really listened to them...think i had them on a sampler a few years ago. i was thinking they were more chaotic and death-y core (which i think they used to be?). really good at what they do, i'm just more of a fan of the tech-y grind-y stuff like Origin, Necrophagist and Suffocation. both using washburns (some variation of the nuno guitar) and the guy on the right was rocking an EVH 5153

it was also breakdown and "unnecessary and unheard keyboard" central with most of the box posing bands.

getting a better position for a tricky part ala Petrucci is one thing. coordinated 80's Spinal Tap posing at a death metal show is another thing altogether...

• Members

Hmm..

We opened the show on Friday night and as I was setting up my effects had to move a few plywood boxes out of the way.

It never occurred to me that they were some stage props.

I just thought maybe the last band there were midgets and needed the boost.

Turns out they were fags.

• Members
+ a billion. Didn't even bother going because most of the other good bands I had already seen and it wasn't worth standing through all of the deathcore {censored}. Of course I've seen Suffo live several times already, but every time is so friggin phenomenal...

unfortunately, i didn't find out until i was at the show, and checking out the merch area. i got my tickets before they dropped off. :mad: like i said if i had known they weren't playing, i probably would have opted for the Atheist/The Faceless/Psyopus show instead...

I've seen Suffo twice...one of those times we were direct support :love:they're so amazing live. you check out the new record? listening to it now. i'm digging it....

and i'm all about rocking out and going nuts live, but seriously...boxes?:facepalm:

Archived