100 watts SEEMED like a good idea

cuban_b

• Members

i have a jcm 800 2203. it sounds great BUT:

- it only sounds AMAZING when i push the power section

- i can't crank it up without having the cops bang on my door

- i can't run any sort of low watt speaker unless i have 2 4x12s (i.e. greenbacks, or h30s)

i love the 800 tone but i considering trading for a sweet lower wattage amp (nothing more that 50 watts).

advice?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

- i can't run any sort of low watt speaker unless i have 2 4x12s (i.e. greenbacks, or h30s)

i love the 800 tone but i considering trading for a sweet lower wattage amp (nothing more that 50 watts).

advice?

Um why can't you run a single 412 loaded with greenbacks?

I assure its been done before a time or two. :poke:

Would get an attenuator or a different amp.

• Members

advice?

The 50 watter isn't going to be much quieter. What time are you playing your amp at stadium volumes?

Hell, even 20 watts of tube power is going to be {censored}ing loud.

• Members

you just discovered what a mid gain, 70's style preamp can do.

There are plenty of 100 watt amps out there that don't need to be blasting to sound good. Plus, its your speakers that really decide how loud the amp will be. Throw in greenies, you'll find it to be quite a bit quieter. And no, you dont need 8 greenies. You could get by with 1 or 2. Because by the way you're talking here, you'll never push the poweramp past 20 watts anyway.

• Members

Um why can't you run a single 412 loaded with greenbacks?

I assure its been done before a time or two. :poke:

Would get an attenuator or a different amp.

don't attenuators suck tone though? i'm thinking about just saying f*ck it and finding a lower watt amp.

what produces marshall-esque tones at lower wattage? i'm shooting for a head with 2x12s under it.

• Members

don't attenuators suck tone though? i'm thinking about just saying f*ck it and finding a lower watt amp.

what produces marshall-esque tones at lower wattage? i'm shooting for a head with 2x12s under it.

Playing by yourself or with others?

• Members

you just discovered what a mid gain, 70's style preamp can do.

There are plenty of 100 watt amps out there that don't need to be blasting to sound good. Plus, its your speakers that really decide how loud the amp will be. Throw in greenies, you'll find it to be quite a bit quieter. And no, you dont need 8 greenies. You could get by with 1 or 2. Because by the way you're talking here, you'll never push the poweramp past 20 watts anyway.

when i play in a full band setting i run about anywhere between 4-6. Would i blow a cab of greenbacks doing that?

• Members

Hell, even 5 watt amps are loud as {censored}. I was playing my Blackstar this weekend with the volume half way up. I recorded a riff on my loop pedal and then went outside to see how loud it was. It was pretty loud up until about two houses down.

• Members

Attenuators will alter tone, not quite suck it per se. The THD Hot Plate has a boost for treble and bass built in on switches to compensate. Before getting rid of the amp, get yourself a Hot Plate and run it through at a reasonable volume. It'll still be nasty loud (unless you drop the attenuation all the way down and use it like a master volume), but you don't have to run the amp thru a full stack.

FTR, I've got a 100W '74 JMP that I got off of Norton666 and a 4x12 of Greenies. Sounds just fine to me, but I'm still wrestling with getting a good clean-ish sound out of it. My 50W JMP + Greenies = teh secks.

• Members

I couldn't enjoy much of the 15W of my Univalve if it weren't for its built in attenuator. Guitar amps are {censored}in' loud, just how it is. Speakers are measured for efficiency at db@1W, and V30s are around 103-104dB@1W. That is damned mega loud. M-m-m-monster loud.

Someone mentioned "Even the 50W are loud!" Not really unexpected since twice the power is only ~3dB louder... so 50W is ~3dB louder than 25W, which is ~3dB louder than 12.5W, etc.

It's all so damned loud, man. I play my 5W Fender Champ 600 RI and I still can't crank it. Woe is me :lol:

• Members

I had the same problem with a 100 watt JVM. Just too loud in the sweet spot. Swapped it for a 50 watt which is perfect. I know in theory there's not a whole lot if difference, but with the JVMs it was noticeable and just enough to let the 50 watt cook without deafening everybody in the room.

Archived