100 watts SEEMED like a good idea

cuban_b

• Members

i have a jcm 800 2203. it sounds great BUT:

- it only sounds AMAZING when i push the power section

- i can't crank it up without having the cops bang on my door

- i can't run any sort of low watt speaker unless i have 2 4x12s (i.e. greenbacks, or h30s)

i love the 800 tone but i considering trading for a sweet lower wattage amp (nothing more that 50 watts).

advice?

I don't see why it would be an issue unless...you specifically want powertube clipping/distortion. But if that's the case you'll still have to run a 50 watt head real loud to get the powertubes clipping, so regardless of watts you would need an attentuator if that is your goal.

Otherwise I would just wind out the preamp and hit it with a nice booster.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ive been using them for a couple years..its all good.

Mind you the amp will still be loud but you should be able to get that tube break up sooner.

If you want bedroom volumes you can toss a Volume pedal or even a EQ pedal in the loop and pull back the gain on the pedal. I used to do this all the time on my 6505+

• Members

i think i'm gonna get my hands on some yellowjackets and try that. that shouldn't harm my amp right?

It shouldn't. I had an amp that broke when I used them, but I can't say for sure it was the fault of the yellow jackets. I've used them without problems in other amps.

They don't do a whole lot to reduce the volume. The clean channel will break up a bit earlier, and you'll get a fatter distortion from the gain channel. Overall, I like the way they sound a lot, but don't expect a significant reduction in volume.

• Members
Greenbacks are 25 watt speakers, so 4 of em will handle your 800
:thu:

... but the 800 can put out considerably more than 100 watts at full bore. :cop:

also, this is why i lean towards lower wattage 15-20 amps. you can push them into that sweet spot at more moderate levels.

• Members

What you WANT to do to get better sound at lower volume is use less efficient, lower wattage speakers (like a cab full of greenbacks. 4x25 watt greenbacks = 100watts. You won't blow that cab).

That speaker cabinet will give you less perceived volume than a 4x12 with higher-wattage speakers like v30's or g12t75's

... but the 800 can put out considerably more than 100 watts at full bore.
:cop:

No, it can't. It's a 100 watt amp.

• Members

it's RMS is rated at 100 watts-- that's an average, not a TOTAL wattage. granted-- you only have so much current capacity-- but it CAN fluctuate-- but 25 watts is an average on a greenback too.

Of course.

One needs to consider RMS, Peak and Program when it comes to wattage.

The only time you're going to need to worry about that amp "putting out more than 100 watts" is if you're diming it, which no one in their right mind would do.

Also, you would have to be running it at 4 ohms. :thu:

So allow me to retract my other statement and replace it with: "No, you won't have to worry about blowing a greenback as four of them will be able to handle the wattage put out by a JCM800, although wattage does fluctuate depending on several mitigating factors."

• Members

Why do amps with such large wattage exist if you can barely use all the power? Same reason that Ferraris and Lamborghinis exist in the automotive world..?

I've never had to take any of my amps above 3 in a gigging venue, and they've been 40w, 80w and 60w (Hot Rod Deluxe, Twin Reverb & Prosonic respectively).

Is it simply for the 'my penis > your penis' battle?

Get a Tonemaster by the way. Amazing crunch, 100w if you want it, switchable to less.

• Members

Why do amps with such large wattage exist if you can barely use all the power? Same reason that Ferraris and Lamborghinis exist in the automotive world..?

Because the tone is very dependent on that much power being available. Lower-wattage amps just, objectively, do not sound the same. Even amps with half-power switches, the tone different between 100-watts and 50-watts is VERY apparent, now if you are looking to attenuator it any lower you will see major tonal shifts.

Just like, sure, no one actually USES the hundreds of horse-power behind a Ferrari, but power aside it still HANDLES better than the average vehicle. Theoretically. I've never driven one.

• Members
Of course.

One needs to consider RMS, Peak and Program when it comes to wattage.

The only time you're going to need to worry about that amp "putting out more than 100 watts" is if you're diming it, which no one in their right mind would do.

Also, you would have to be running it at 4 ohms.
:thu:

So allow me to retract my other statement and replace it with: "No, you won't have to worry about blowing a greenback as four of them will be able to handle the wattage put out by a JCM800, although wattage does fluctuate depending on several mitigating factors."

i dime my amps all the time-- pretty much the only way to get the tones i want out of my amp! granted.. they ain't 100 watters... on purpose..

not trying to be contrary.. but sometimes i guess it's important to make the waters be as muddy as they are :lol:...

but yep.. i think that's why i always scratch my head when folks have 100 watters that aren't ALL preamp gain all the time. makes sense for a metal amp.. but an 800's definitely a mega oversized turn and burn amp.. you need some SPACE to let 'em do what they were designed for! kinda makes 'em dinosaurs like a model t in todays club world...

• Members
Because the tone is very dependent on that much power being available. Lower-wattage amps just, objectively, do not sound the same. Even amps with half-power switches, the tone different between 100-watts and 50-watts is VERY apparent, now if you are looking to attenuator it any lower you will see major tonal shifts.

Just like, sure, no one actually USES the hundreds of horse-power behind a Ferrari, but power aside it still HANDLES better than the average vehicle. Theoretically. I've never driven one.

Sweet. I suppose more clean headroom is always a bonus too. :idea:

I'll stick with my mid-wattage amps though. Can't see myself ever needing 100w to play with..? Maybe I'm just preaching. :blah:

• Members
:love:

phhht

if you read the rest of the post :facepalm:

Guitarists also fail to realize that unless you're running your amp at its "lowest" ohm rating, you can't squeeze all of the available watts out of it :thu:

This is something that bass players are acutely aware of.

• Members

What you WANT to do to get better sound at lower volume is use less efficient, lower wattage speakers (like a cab full of greenbacks. 4x25 watt greenbacks = 100watts. You won't blow that cab).

That speaker cabinet will give you less perceived volume than a 4x12 with higher-wattage speakers like v30's or g12t75's

No, it can't. It's a 100 watt amp.

Don't confuse the power handling ability of speakers with their efficiency. Lower powered speakers don't necessarily produce less volume from the same amp than high powered speakers.

Archived