I haz Digidesign Eleven Rack (clips inside)

mike moriarty

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think it was a well spent $900 from what I heard so far and it does smoke the Pod series (I have a Pod XT Pro and have played a Vetta). I'd have to hear more clips to discern whether it's an AxeFX killa tho I doubt it (I haz teh ultra, sorry Zent). That isn't to say that the AxeFX is necessarily slaying the Eleven zero for zero either. Needs to hear more reference toanz. PS: No need to do dripping wet Dave Evans toanz to compete.

To be fair to the Eleven I find the "1/2 the price for one 1/4 of the features" comparison is interesting only if one were to use 100% of the functionality of both units, for many guitarists that simply won't be the case. What's more important is "will I use all the functionality the unit provides, is there anything I need from the unit that it cannot provide, can I consistently dial in teh toanz I hears in me head, can said toanz be reproduced equally well on stage or in the studio, and is the unit gig worthy, i.e. robust build able to take knocks by n00b roadies?

Will be interesting to hear more clips and ensuing gig reports.

PS: On clips... The old {censored}ers would like to hear more toanz over the full gain width, from low to high. So far we heard medium and high.

:wave:

If you were to look at one of my posts after that the eleven is more than half of price of the standard. From what I've heard so far, high gain wise the eleven isn't light years ahead of the pod xt. But I guess I'm used to having my xt dialed in how I like it through a tube power amp and cab.

I wish peavey would put out a revamped version of revalver in hardware form. If they could get some good effects into it thye might be able to compete.

• Members
I think it was a well spent $900 from what I heard so far and it does smoke the Pod series (I have a Pod XT Pro and have played a Vetta). I'd have to hear more clips to discern whether it's an AxeFX killa tho I doubt it (I haz teh ultra, sorry Zent). That isn't to say that the AxeFX is necessarily slaying the Eleven zero for zero either. Needs to hear more reference toanz. PS: No need to do dripping wet Dave Evans toanz to compete.

To be fair to the Eleven I find the "1/2 the price for one 1/4 of the features" comparison is interesting only if one were to use 100% of the functionality of both units, for many guitarists that simply won't be the case. What's more important is "will I use all the functionality the unit provides, is there anything I need from the unit that it cannot provide, can I consistently dial in teh toanz I hears in me head, can said toanz be reproduced equally well on stage or in the studio, and is the unit gig worthy, i.e. robust build able to take knocks by n00b roadies?

Will be interesting to hear more clips and ensuing gig reports.

PS: On clips... The old {censored}ers would like to hear more toanz over the full gain width, from low to high. So far we heard medium and high.

:wave:

Thats a good point Izzy. A lot of those effects in the Axe would have gone unused by me. I pretty much just needed something that I could record direct with that has a good sound. In my living situation I cannot put my Marshall on ten and mic it up. Like I said I wwasnt too happy with the PODX3 and the Axe fx is a little more than I as willing to spend so this is perfect form me. I will definitely be recording more clips in the coming weeks. I will post some clean clips and some with lost of effects. Thanks for the input :wave:

• Members

Yes and no. You can record one processed track and one dry track then add effects to the dry track later on.

Huh? I was talking about live playing......just playing the thing through speakers having one side panned with one amp model and the other side another amp model........recording you can do whatever with anything...:confused:

edit: I see what you're saying......sounds like you can stack them on recording only??

• Members
Huh? I was talking about live playing......just playing the thing through speakers having one side panned with one amp model and the other side another amp model........recording you can do whatever with anything...
:confused:

No you cant live. But its useful in the studio because double tracking guitar parts can be a pain the ass. This way you have the same take with two different amps/sounds.

• Members
No you cant live. But its useful in the studio because double tracking guitar parts can be a pain the ass. This way you have the same take with two different amps/sounds.

Just wanted to know because that is/was one of the coolness factors of the :snax: and the vetta......basically having a stereo rig of 2 diff amps......1 on each side sounds massive in a room....

• Members
Just wanted to know because that is/was one of the coolness factors of the
:snax:
and the vetta......basically having a stereo rig of 2 diff amps......1 on each side sounds massive in a room....

I hear ya, it is a cool feature. Im using this primarily for recording direct so it doesnt bother me much. When I play live I still use my good ol Marshall.

• Members

I'll be real interested in seeing what this sounds like when you have more time to dial it, get the sweet spots and generally sharpen up your recording skills (no offense intended good sir).

Everyone is coming at it from the perspective of "It's no Axe" and it costs "more than half". So the {censored} what? Remember, the Axe has been out a while, people have been able to tweak the {censored} out of it and achieve their tone. This is the first clip I have heard of this thing that wasn't on the website, and with a modeller, especially a proprietary one, the learning curve is steep. Let's give the unit a little more time on the market before we bash it as "nowhere near as good as the Axe".

• Members

I'll be real interested in seeing what this sounds like when you have more time to dial it, get the sweet spots and generally sharpen up your recording skills (no offense intended good sir).

Everyone is coming at it from the perspective of "It's no Axe" and it costs "more than half". So the {censored} what? Remember, the Axe has been out a while, people have been able to tweak the {censored} out of it and achieve their tone. This is the first clip I have heard of this thing that wasn't on the website, and with a modeller, especially a proprietary one, the learning curve is steep. Let's give the unit a little more time on the market before we bash it as "nowhere near as good as the Axe".

I am going by only having the axe a week and my first impressions, does that more sence.

And I am not knocking the 11 its sounds far better than my pod, tone port or flextone II

• Members

I think it sounds pretty good man. for the price (and considering it comes with a copy of protools) it's not a bad deal.

personally, I think that I would probably grow out of it and wold probably get an AFX ultra to use for stereo effects and lower gain/clean stuff. Eventually I'll get one but I've got the other half of a TITAN to pay for first :cop:

• Members
Doesn't sound bad at all.

True, the low gain sound sounds better than any attempt Ive heard out the AXE FX. On the surface, it would seem the AXEFX has the edge on high gain.

Then again, this guy has to do some serious tweaking on a very new product, so who knows?

The high gain sound makes me want to straddle a woman's face, stick my dipstick in, and wiggle my hips up and down...:cop:

• Members

Double tracking isn't the same as layering different sounds. The reamp feature of the Eleven is definitely cool, but it in no way replaces proper double tracking. Whether reamping works nicely with the Axe I'm not sure yet. I've tracked with an amp on one side and a dry sound on the other, but never bothered to try routing the dry back in as I just haven't had to yet. :idk:

As for the tones. I'm not overly impressed at the moment. They don't sound much better than a POD XT IMO, if at all. That said, it's still very early days for the Eleven Rack, so I'm sure we'll hear better results coming from it over time. How long has the plugin version been around for?

Curious about the cab section though. You say there are mic and placement options available. Is the cab section IR based or filter based (or something else? :confused:). Still, if it's just simple filters and not IRs or whatever, in a recording situation that'd be easy enough to get around. Disable the cabs, run the signal through a plugin to use whatever cab IR you want. :thu:

• Members
Double tracking isn't the same as layering different sounds. The reamp feature of the Eleven is definitely cool, but it in no way replaces proper double tracking. Whether reamping works nicely with the Axe I'm not sure yet. I've tracked with an amp on one side and a dry sound on the other, but never bothered to try routing the dry back in as I just haven't had to yet.
:idk:

As for the tones. I'm not overly impressed at the moment. They don't sound much better than a POD XT IMO, if at all. That said, it's still
very
early days for the Eleven Rack, so I'm sure we'll hear better results coming from it over time. How long has the plugin version been around for?

Curious about the cab section though. You say there are mic and placement options available. Is the cab section IR based or filter based (or something else?
:confused:
). Still, if it's just simple filters and not IRs or whatever, in a recording situation that'd be easy enough to get around. Disable the cabs, run the signal through a plugin to use whatever cab IR you want.
:thu:

Plug version has been about around 2 years IIRC. To me the only interesting thing about Eleven is it's basically the Pro Tools dongle. If I ever was in a situation where I started to need access to PT, it might be an option. Most of my PT friends have moved on to greener pastures though.

Archived