Let's say I want an amp that sounds like a jcm800

gutterking

• Members

but I don't want it to be a jcm800. Preferably this amp will be solid as a rock and not make me :cry: in a melodic/ambient influenced hardcore (but not really) setting.

Which amp do I want?

$$$ is an issue, for now.

I'm looking at the Red Bear mk 60/120 and the Sovtek mig 50/60/100. Is there anywhere else I should look, or can anyone share some experience with either of these?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Laney was already on my radar, not sure why I didn't remember. The Peaveys kind of scare me for some reason. It's probably just the look of them, so I'd probably jump on the butcher if I found one dirt cheap.

Has anyone extensively played the Red Bear, Laney, or the Sovtek?

• Members

The Laney was already on my radar, not sure why I didn't remember. The Peaveys kind of scare me for some reason. It's probably just the look of them, so I'd probably jump on the butcher if I found one dirt cheap.

Has anyone extensively played the Red Bear, Laney, or the Sovtek?

I have owned them all at one point. The Laney sounded great. It really reminded me of a JCM 800 the most of those amps. I had an AOR 100. I have also had a Peavey VTM 60. Those things sound incredible cranked up through a good 4x12.

• Members
What about the Peavey Windsor? Isn't is supposed to be similar to an 800?

I think Bugera also has some new Marshall voiced amps out. Maybe one of those would work.

According to JerryP, the Windsor although sounding similar to the JCM800, is completely different in design. :idk:

Archived