amps effects loops, do you use em or not?

MuyLoCo444

• Members

So I got the new 6505 112 yesterday, finally, and am curious about the effects loop. I guess there is no harm in trying it out, but I have always used my pedals in the front of the amp instead of the loop. I am curious to see how my EQ pedal will fare out in the effect loop. So do you use it and if so what type of pedals do you use in it?

• Members

The EQ will have a way bigger impact in the loop.

This.

Me, I like delays/reverbs (maybe not if I had a tape delay, but I don't) in the loop. I like to run modulation fx (many of which are essentially delay based) in the loop too. I prefer to have the gain/filter fx in front, excepting graphic eq and some parametric eq.

• Members

I'm no novice to playing or gear...but I have never really heard a good explanation as to why it makes a big difference to run anything through the loop.

I really don't play with a lot of effects. I use the amp overdrive, a tuner, DD-6 and a Holier Grail (sometimes).
Should I run the two effects through the loop? Will I notice a big difference?

• Members

I have never really heard a good explanation as to why it makes a big difference to run anything through the loop.

If you are not trolling, here are two good reasons for not running delay in front of your amp if you use high gain on the amp:

1. An amp that distorts compresses.

So your delay that ideally should trail gradually off into the distance will be compressed to be much louder than intended and keep its volume.

Imo that makes for a mushy sound.

You could compensate for that by turning down the delay output, but that leads us to problem No. 2...

2. If you use your amps distortion your delays will gradually clean up, as the delay signal gets weaker. Or if you already have a low delay output (as outlined above) your delay signal will be significantly less distorted than your main guitar tone.

Of course there is no wrong or right way to use effects, as long as you like your tone that is all that matters - but these are the reasons i would run delays through a loop if i used the amps distortion.

Basically i like to have a delay that repeats the already distorted signal and lets that signal fade out in the background.

• Members

I use all my pitch shifters/octave stuff before the amp. As well as my phaser. I use my volume before the amp too because it helps control gain and dynamics just like the volume pot on my guitar.

I currently run my delays before the amp and I've always been happy with this. Partially because I switch amps up a lot and don't always have an FX loop.

So basically everything before the amp for me.

• Members

I've read that time based effects are best after the speaker (at the mixer or added to a dry recording). Putting them in the FX loop is a pretty good compromise. I don't really have access to that type of equipment.

Don't limit yourself to just one EQ. Nothing wrong with having several. Nothing wrong with having none. There is no best place to put an EQ that works for any rig. They are inserted in the signal chain wherever they are needed.

Simple rig example. Guitar -> Overdrive Pedal ->Amp

EQ right after the guitar

Pickups are marketed by their EQ shape and output level (Dimarzio does this for example). Plugging the guitar into the EQ and making SUBTLE adjustments can have similar effects as using different pickups. This sets the shape and level of the signal fed to the overdrive pedal.

EQ right after the overdrive/distortion pedal. Again, the EQ shape and level can be adjusted before it's fed to the input stage of your amp.

Once the signal has gone through the preamp it's typical to see a tone stack there which is an EQ. The tone stack may be all the EQ you need making EQ in the loop redundant.

So... Guitar -> EQ -> Overdrive/Distortion -> EQ -> Preamp Section -> EQ -> Power Amp Section

Anything in the signal path that has tone controls is a form of EQ.

Your ears always give the final verdict.

Archived