August 2012 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, more...

blue2blue

• Members

Interesting.

Pretty cool use of effects.....the grainy stuff and the black and white stuff. From a 'writing' perspective its interesting to see your expressions and your body language in juxtaposition with the lyrics. Even the out of sync vocals work quite well.......did you plan it that way?

Very bold production.:cool::wave:

I love the last scene when the door closes and the light from the other room shines so brightly through for a brief moment.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK... Love the beginning part where you're looking right in the camera (when the song itself has that sort of distant/effected vocal).

I think after that you should make the whole thing black and white... you're going for an artsy feel it seems and that would really nail it. Then... I don't think you should ever make eye contact with the camera again. I don't know why, just feels right to me... There's a cool juxtaposition of getting a glimpse of your personal life, yet you're still so distant that I think works well. When you look at the camera... it kind of takes that away.

At the end... I think you should freeze on the door being slightly open with that light peeking through. That was a really cool moment... but the song continues for another 10 seconds or so. Just let it hang there.

And if you could blur some of the cross-fades a bit, I think it would be cool. But don't overdo it... you don't want it to be cheesy.

Overall... I love this song and I think the video is a great idea.

• Members

Great video, it suits the song. I agree with Bee that the parts that felt the most out of place were when you acted aware of the camera. I also wasn't a huge fan of the lip synching in the bathroom parts, I preferred the "singing" to be done when you had th effect on (1:02 and others).

I don't agree it should be in B&W, though I could see increasing the amount of that as a contrast. The idea of having that light peaking through the door at the end is very good. If you don't want it to stay like that too long at the end, you can make it line up simply by stretching some of the stuff you have now. I think that would be a good idea, anyway, to get a little more slow motion in there.

• Members

I like it. I really like the bits where you suddenly look at the camera.

Also, how did you train the cat to do that? (Just kidding.)

As a first video it's really good. I like the vulnerability that the bathroom gives you. Of course it's much easier to shoot a video where you have basically only one location. But next time I'd like to see more variation in where the character is and what she's doing rather than variation in wardrobe (or lack of it).

But really, first time video? Very good!

LCK

• Members

Why not bump the old thread or put this in the August Showcase Thread? I'm sure Blue doesn't enjoy having to be the one to enforce the rules, especially to someone that should know better. Actions like this are pretty selfish and put him in an awkward spot.

• Moderators

Awesome! Really well done... send it to record producers, they've been waiting for you. Really great. I hope I can get a backstage pass when you tour the states.

Any suggestions? not really. Maybe you could've mixed in some exterior footage. Like a long shot of kids playing in a playground. Or an old lady picking out fruit at the market. Just as a cut away from the bath. But next time. This was great...

• Members

Got an email yesterday from a jazz singer (more of a chanteuse) who wants to record two of my songs on her next CD. She's going into the studio in October.

She wants to do a big band arrangement for this one: "The Last Train to Mercerville."

This will be a trio: "Love Is a Dangerous Thing."

FYI, she says she asked every songwriter in New York for songs -- got a ton of submissions -- and liked mine the best: "While several other writers had clever lyrics, yours are on a whole different level..."

Yeah, I'm braggin' a little. The truth is she's not someone you've heard of, but still ...

Next stop, Diana Krall...

LCK

• Members

Got an email yesterday from a jazz singer (more of a chanteuse) who wants to record two of my songs on her next CD. She's going into the studio in October.

She wants to do a big band arrangement for this one: "
."

This will be a trio: "
."

FYI, she says she asked every songwriter in New York for songs -- got a ton of submissions -- and liked mine the best: "While several other writers had clever lyrics, yours are on a whole different level..."

Yeah, I'm braggin' a little. The truth is she's not someone you've heard of, but still ...

LCK

Err. Awesome!

• Moderators

The Last Train to Mercerville
."

Love Is a Dangerous Thing
."

LCK

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Ah, we're going to put you (or this thread) in the warm and friendly Monthly Showcase Thread where all the finished projects, vids, promo, etc, goes and where all your friends will be able easily find your vid! :)

Everyone has to play by the same rules. :thu:

• Members

The Last Train to Mercerville
."

Love Is a Dangerous Thing
."

LCK

Congrats, and well deserved. :thu:

• Members

."

."

LCK

Congrats - that's great news.

• Members

Edit - I am aware this may not technically belong in this section of the forum, but don't move me to unfamiliar and potential unwelcome places, Bluey!!!!! Please! lol
:cry:

Ok here is my take...

Courageous! .......... With a capital C.

Artistic.......The film quality is brilliant. The content was well thought out and pertinent. Using the basic bathroom ritual connects us to the character nicely. Someone we can empathize with and relate to.
To me what I come away with most is how truely real you are. You left yourself no room to hide. Bravo!

And i'll say it ...your down right adorable.

And lastly your directing nuances...you tried a lot of different angles and effects. Some may not have fit as well as others...like looking at the camera....but I just see that as you testing all the waters...as you produce more you'll hone those skills too I am sure.

Again Bravo!

• Members
I had two more songs mastered, which totals three complete songs... nearly an EP. All three were worked through here with all of you... so thanks! Download 'em for free.

Stained Glass Window

My Storm

Really, really nice. They both sound terrific.

I'm watching the local PBS station tonight. They're running a documentary on Simon & Garfunkel. It was shot in 1969, while they were working on their Bridge Over Troubled Water LP.

Both of your tunes have echoes of S&G in them, and I mean in a really good way.

LCK

• Members

Is it called The Harmony or something like that? If so, I literally just got done watching that on the Palladia channel. It was excellent... I was wondering how they got those harmonies to sound like that on The Only Living Boy in New York.

• Members

Funny you should mention The Only Living Boy in New York, for two reasons. One, the bass line I played for you on My Storm was heavily influenced by Joe Osborn's bass line on that song. And two, I literally was just thinking that the percussion on Only Living Boy might be a good inspiration for the other Justin for his song Unbury Yourself

• Members

Funny you should mention The Only Living Boy in New York, for two reasons. One, the bass line I played for you on My Storm was heavily influenced by Joe Osborn's bass line on that song. And two, I literally was just thinking that the percussion on Only Living Boy might be a good inspiration for the other Justin for his song Unbury Yourself

Nice. You should buy an 8 string bass!

Archived