Blending EV12Ls & G12T75s in an x-pattern: ohm mismatch?

petejt

• Members

I've got a new(ish) 4x12 closed back angled speaker cab, and want to install two EV 12L speakers and two Celestion G12T75 speakers, in a cross pattern.

I want to wire it up in stereo, left and right.

EDIT: I will be using a stereo poweramp with this, ideally 8 ohms per side.

The EV speakers are 8 ohms each, and the G12T75 speakers are 16 ohms each.

As you will see, each side will have one 8 ohm (:cool:) speaker + a 16 ohm (:o ) speaker.

Like this:

:cool::o

:o:cool:

How could I wire these up to keep the speaker load consistent for each side?

Would it be ok if it received 8 ohms per side?

Or is it ok to 'safely' mismatch them? Would they be able to receive 8 ohms per side?

• Members

You'd get 5.3ohms per side, which is fine if your plugging into 8 ohm taps on a tube amp

Ok then, thanks.

I guess then that each side would be wired in parallel?

So it'd be amp's +ve terminal to EV +ve, to 75 +ve, then EV -ve to 75 -ve to amp's -ve terminal?

• Members

You'd get 5.3ohms per side, which is fine if your plugging into 8 ohm taps on a tube amp.

-D

4 ohms would be preferable than 8

Remember impedence isn't static, it changes as the signal fluctuates.A range from 3.7-6.5 is entirely probable as the amp is played.

most modern amps matching isn't that crucial unless the manufacturer makes of point of it.

If you mismatch and are worried just put your hand on the OT and feel if it's getting warm check every 5 minutes until 20.I suggest you of course do a "control" test first with matching impedances so you get an idea if your OT runs warm in the first place.

• Members

I've just had another thought- if I do wire it up for 5.3 ohms per side, could I then deliver 4 ohms per side from the amp instead? Isn't mismatching safer when the speaker load is higher than the amp load?

Yes if you have a 4 ohm tap it would be better that the speaker load is higher.

• Members

I'd stick with the Celestions and sell the EV's for something like V30's to mix with the 75's, though I know I'm going to be in the extreme minority regarding my take on getting rid of the EV12L's. I've got a couple EV12L's in Bag End 112 cabs that I never use. They're probably the most lame-sounding guitar speakers I've ever played through. The only use I can see for them is keeping a chiropractor in business from lugging them around. :D I'd have sold them a long time ago if ebay hadn't changed their seller policy. :o

Archived