NTD!!!!!

hcprimerib

• Members

new driving violation ticket day! yah me! 16 miles over the speed limit. that will be $240 and 4 points on my license. what's even more f***ed up, I was going about 10 over. how does that f***ing work? he was coming the opposite way down the road? how could he even guestimate my speed? wtf???

• Members

Look, you go to court, talk to the DA, give him a sob story, hell make a suggestion to the judge and have it knocked down. Is all about money so have some cash on hand or a debit card.

Best scenario, no moving violation + fine - been there done that - they just want the money.

• Members

If it isn't a huge hassle, always contest the ticket!

Worst case: you lose an hour from your weekday evening, and have to pay the full fine, boohoo.

Good chance: you can at least get a reduced fine and/or less points from your license with a little sweet talking and luck.

Best case: Cop doesn't show, you get off with nothing.

I once drove 2 hours across state boarders to go to court for a ticket in NY state. As a 21 year old male, I can't afford a $250 speeding ticket, 5 points, and the hiked insurance rate for 2 years. I got lucky, cop didn't show, and all I lost was a few hours on a Tuesday night and $25 in gas.

• Members

In alabama 25+ over the limit is :wave: to your license for 6 months to a year depending on how fast.

Also, it's worth noting that a good lawyer can keep the points off your record and have you do community service instead. It's simply up to you to decide if it's worth paying lawyer fees to keep your driving insurance record clean. For some, that would cost them more in the long run than lawyer fees.

• Members
Contest. If the officer who wrote the ticket can't make it to court it gets dismissed. If he does you pay.

Correct BUT cops do get overtime for court now - especially if the cop is persuing a law degree - he will show as court time can add to credit for the course ;)

im in jersey/NYC - here, its all about money...period - {censored} there are guys with 10 DUIs still driving round

• Members

Best case: Cop doesn't show, you get off with nothing.

Sure doesn't work that way here in Philly.

I got stopped for expired tag and had to go to court.

There was case after case of failure to stop, illegal turn, etc. and in NO case was the officer there.

They would read the statement from the cop, let the defendent say something, and then find you guilty (or not, depending on if the judge liked your story).

Not one cop was there..................

• Members

Sure doesn't work that way here in Philly.

I got stopped for expired tag and had to go to court.

There was case after case of failure to stop, illegal turn, etc. and in NO case was the officer there.

They would read the statement from the cop, let the defendent say something, and then find you guilty (or not, depending on if the judge liked your story).

Not one cop was there..................

Hmm, weill in NY and VT a cop needs to be present as the 'prosecutor". If they don't show up, you can move to have the case dismissed. One of my older high school friends just got off a DUI because the cop didn't show... I'm not as happy about that.

Archived