Suhr Modern Pro Series or ESP USA Custom Shop??

AfroSamurai

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ESP USA Custom Shop for sure. Suhr guitars are fugly, and basically overpriced Ibanez Strat copies.

I actually think they look great, but anyways the looks is a secondary thing. Im looking for something that plays great and it seems to be that the suhr wins in that aspect.

• Members

ESP USA Custom Shop for sure. Suhr guitars are fugly, and basically overpriced Ibanez Strat copies.

Now you know I :love: you, Dave, but that was either a bad troll attempt or one of the most ignorant statements you've ever uttered. The first part was subjective, you're entitled to your opinion, but that second part was FAIL of the highest order, I'm afraid.

Gotta :facepalm: ya hard on that one, brah.

• Members

Now you know I
:love:
you, Dave, but that was either a bad troll attempt or one of the most ignorant statements you've ever uttered. The first part was subjective, you're entitled to your opinion, but that second part was FAIL of the highest order, I'm afraid.

Gotta
:facepalm:
ya hard on that one, brah.

I hate Suhr guitars. Some of the ugliest pieces of crap to come out yet. The few I have played were no better than Anderson guitars, which have been around for years.

• Members

I hate Suhr guitars. Some of the ugliest pieces of crap to come out yet. The few I have played were no better than Anderson guitars, which have been around for years.

Well, like I said, no one else can decide what is ugly for you, but "no better than Anderson" is pretty much synonymous with "as awesomely fine-crafted as Anderson" in my book and is hardly an epithet! Out of curiosity, I know you're a fellow Strat lover, do you hate their traditional super-Strats, too, or just the modern ones? Also, John Suhr has been making guitars for quite a while now, too.

What about this one?

Suhr1.jpg

or this:

2007_Suhr_Classic_Front_600x800.jpg

or this one?

4.jpg

• Members

i have a Suhr S6, while its not my favorite guitar that i own it is an amazing instrument for sure. The neck is way too thin for me and it doesnt have the natural sustain that my gibsons and Fenders have, it is a great feeling guitar. It all feels top notch. I also have an ESP MII, it literally feels like a plastic piece of {censored} next to the suhr.

Wow...ESP MIIs are great guitars...surprised at that but it's all about preference.

I've gone through two Suhrs now and I can honestly say neither the Suhr Modern LE08 nor the current Suhr S3 tops my ESP in anything but looks. (I'm a sucker for the flamed maple and scraped binding on the S3)

I kind of miss that Modern though...even though I couldn't love it with the Aldrich pickups....since selling it I grabbed an Ibby J-Custom and the S3...the J-Custom is comparable but neck is not as comfy and it has EMGs.

• Members

Weren't all ESPs built in Japan? I was fairly certain there were no MIA ESPs!

ESP had a USA Custom Shop for a time...I think they closed the USA shop in 02 or 03? I think the first ESP custom shop in the US was in NY, but then moved to LA...then closed...IIRC, anyway.

The Japanese custom shops were around during that time as well. In general, aside from one off type pieces (which could very well have been ordered with no designation on them), USA custom shops were designated as such on the headstock, whereas regular ESP Japan CS guitars were designated just "custom" (unless, again, the buyer requested no designation to be put on the HS).

The guitar in question is a "NOS" USA custom from DCGL if I'm not mistaken.

The only thing that kills me about the Suhr's is the body shape. I much prefer the regular Suhr superstrat shape (or the carved tops). The headstocks are also kinda ugly, too. IMO, YMMV

• Members

Esp managing director helped me out quite a bit when i was ordering a few custom esps a few years back .Esp japan kept in contact to let me know how progress wise my guitars were coming along .Plus the particular specs i asked for were carried out exactly how i wanted them so in regards to customer service the japanese know how to treat their customers .

• Members

Dewysoss, nwright.. I heard about the 48th street Custom Shop ESPs, but afaik they were only assembled in US, not actually made. The body parts were still japanese. I can't find the link right now, but I did read that ESP never had prodcution in the US.

• Members

Dewysoss, nwright.. I heard about the 48th street Custom Shop ESPs, but afaik they were only assembled in US, not actually made. The body parts were still japanese. I can't find the link right now, but I did read that ESP never had prodcution in the US.

I'm not talking about the 48th St. Guitars deal. I don't know much about the NY CS, so maybe they are one in the same (I don't think they were), but at one point, there i do know for sure there WAS a US CS in LA, and it closed in the early part of 2000's. How/where they sourced the parts/bodies, etc. I'm not sure. The luthier in LA at/around the time of closing last name was Gaudesi, first name John I think? He has since moved to Yamaha's CS. Most of the ESP's at that time were bolt on, so making a custom from ordering the neck/bodies from Japan and assembling here wouldn't be out of the question, but I don't necessarily think it happened that way. I've seen a USA Custom built ESP Viper that was set neck with pretty different neck appointments from the ESP Japan stuff at that time, so I'm hesitant to say the US CD was nothing more than an assembly shop. I'm pretty sure they built at least some guitars from the ground up.

Also, depending on your view of "production", one could claim a (independent?) luthier doing work under the ESP USA Custom Shop banner does not a production line make.

• Members

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll get the suhr (SS jumbo frets ftw). Also, in the case I dont like (highly unlikely) I always can trade it or sell it.

The esp seems like a great guitar too, wish I could get both :p, and yes its from DCGL

Archived