Suhr Modern Pro Series or ESP USA Custom Shop??

AfroSamurai

• Members

Suhr, without doubt. I haven't played a USA Custom ESP, whatever they are but I have owned two ESP Eclipses and two Suhrs, a Modern and an S4. The Suhrs just murder the ESP for me in every way. And whoever said they're just overpriced Ibanezes is a tool of the highest order.

Suhrs just sound really great, play really great, are built to a very high standard, have incredible fretwork and so on. You may not like the looks of certain models but to suggest they're not great guitars is just ridiculous.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You'll be happy with the Suhr...they're just killer guitars. Even if everything else were equivalent (wood, workmanship, finish, etc.) between it and the ESP the stainless steel frets alone push it to the top...

Suhr's are the only guitars that give me GAS for something other than my Parker's these days...when I have $3500--3700 to drop on a guitar, I'm going to get a custom carve top modern...

• Members

Hi guys, Im looking for a bolt on super strat guitar with a floyd, with fast thin and wide neck. I was thinking about getting a suhr modern pro series

t5rmdv.jpg

or a jackson dinky usa (no pics for this one) but then I saw this

dr4fop.jpg

and now I cant make up my mind. All of the guitars cost about 2k, being the esp a little less. The thing here is that I havent tried a suhr nor an esp custom shop, so I cant decide which one plays "better".

I know that there are a couple of suhr modern owners around here and I also saw a guy with one of this esp custom shop, so I was wondering if you guys can tell your experience with suhr (pro series) and esp (usa custom) and point the out the pros and cons of each. I know that probably the dinky will be the less awesome guitar of the bunch, but please rate it too.

Also, I will run the guitar through my axe-fx (if you guys need to know the "amp").

Thanks!

I'm also looking at possibly buying both of those identical guitars right now! :lol:

That's DCGL 2nd ESP USA Custom Horizon in See-Thru Aqua. The only turn off for me on the Horizon are the abalone striping on the edge of the fretboard, and the old screw head posts on the floyd which always get stripped/marred after a few turns...

The Suhr M2 turnoffs: the "soft-touch" finish which I've never seen in person, and haven't been abel to talk to anyone who's owned one long enough too see how well it does after a few years of wear/tear. Also don't like the pop-in arm on the Gotoh Floyd which reminds me of the old Ibanez Edge trems.

Which way are you leaning?

• Members

Guess i've always been into thicker bodied guitars for that extra weight and presence of sound .Strats don't offer that unfortunately but i guess everyone's has their own different requirements, i know i do .Never played a Suhr but they do look rather nice, be interesting to hear how the build quality effects the tonal aspects in terms of fullness warmth presence and sustain .

ps never been a fan of bolt on necks, and i have seen far better examples by esp custom shop than the esp horizon pictured

• Members

Dewysoss, nwright.. I heard about the 48th street Custom Shop ESPs, but afaik they were only assembled in US, not actually made. The body parts were still japanese. I can't find the link right now, but I did read that ESP never had prodcution in the US.

The ESP USA Custom Shop was only around for a short time. The last ones they produced were in 2001 and they were made completely in the ESP USA Custom Shop in California. Nothing was from Japan on these models.

I know a fairly great deal about these since I ordered a ESP USA MII new in 2001 and still have it. It was the last year they offered them and they were all pretty limited. They were all bolt-on necks and built by master luthier John Gaudesi (he's built guitars for many players from George Lynch to Eddie Van Halen).

They are killer guitars and something you probably won't ever see again as I don't ever see ESP building anymore Custom Shop models in the USA. John Gaudesi also doesn't work for ESP anymore.

• Members

The ESP USA Custom Shop was only around for a short time. The last ones they produced were in 2001 and they were made completely in the ESP USA Custom Shop in California. Nothing was from Japan on these models.

I know a fairly great deal about these since I ordered a ESP USA MII new in 2001 and still have it. It was the last year they offered them and they were all pretty limited. They were all bolt-on necks and built by master luthier John Gaudesi (he's built guitars for many players from George Lynch to Eddie Van Halen).

They are killer guitars and something you probably won't ever see again as I don't ever see ESP building anymore Custom Shop models in the USA. John Gaudesi also doesn't work for ESP anymore.

PICS NOW!!! :lol:

Is that the trans-black maple flame top with a mahogany body M-II??? If so, that guitar is the killer.

• Members

I'm also looking at possibly buying both of those identical guitars right now!

That's DCGL 2nd ESP USA Custom Horizon in See-Thru Aqua. The only turn off for me on the Horizon are the abalone striping on the edge of the fretboard, and the old screw head posts on the floyd which always get stripped/marred after a few turns...

The Suhr M2 turnoffs: the "soft-touch" finish which I've never seen in person, and haven't been abel to talk to anyone who's owned one long enough too see how well it does after a few years of wear/tear. Also don't like the pop-in arm on the Gotoh Floyd which reminds me of the old Ibanez Edge trems.

:eek: I think I'll get the suhr. Im not sure if Im going to get that color, though Im getting an M2. I was thinking on getting one with the purple haze finish, but I havent seen it on stock anywhere.

The abalone is one of the biggest turnoffs on the esp, seconded by emg's. It just makes it look cheap.

• Members

:eek:
I think I'll get the suhr. Im not sure if Im going to get that color, though Im getting an M2. I was thinking on getting one with the purple haze finish, but I havent seen it on stock anywhere.

The abalone is one of the biggest turnoffs on the esp, seconded by emg's. It just makes it look cheap.

Weird... isn't it? :lol:

Yeah... I haven't seen a Purple Haze M2 (maple board) in-stock anywhere right now. All of the Pro Series Moderns are pretty scarce at most every dealer. Seems either they sell out really fast, or production is on the slow side.

:idk:

• Members

Weird... isn't it?
:lol:

Yeah... I haven't seen a Purple Haze M2 (maple board) in-stock anywhere right now. All of the Pro Series Moderns are pretty scarce at most every dealer. Seems either they sell out really fast, or production is on the slow side.

Have no clue. I think they are behind with orders and they are trying to get the customs first, not due slow work, but because they are overwhelmed with orders. Actually now the waiting time is around 6-8 months, so the guys over suhr are really busy.

I think the purple haze will look amazing with the maple fretboard, but Im not sure if I can wait until one is available.

• Members

I'm also looking at possibly buying both of those identical guitars right now!

FWIW, the arm on the Gotoh Floyd is pop-in and screw in.

• Members

Is that the trans-black maple flame top with a mahogany body M-II??? If so, that guitar is the killer.

No, mine is just solid black. I know the one you are talking about and they are killer looking but just not worth the asking price IMO. ESP is not a brand known for holding their value very well anyway.

• Members

No, mine is just solid black. I know the one you are talking about and they are killer looking but just not worth the asking price IMO. ESP is not a brand known for holding their value very well anyway.

Oh... That flamed maple top / mahogany back trans-black MII from a few years ago is like pure surprise boot secks. It's just about my ideal super-strat. I wish ESP would start up the USA Custom Shop again as they were truly amazing guitars.

• Members

I just like the screw-in collar on the OFR better myself.
:idk:

I hear you, ive been a floyed player for beyond a decade and have to say I was floored after usin the Gotoh, the the responsiveness of the bar is stupid amazing, because its both screw in and push/pressure fit.

Archived