Suhr Modern Pro Series or ESP USA Custom Shop??

• Members

Hi guys, Im looking for a bolt on super strat guitar with a floyd, with fast thin and wide neck. I was thinking about getting a suhr modern pro series

t5rmdv.jpg

or a jackson dinky usa (no pics for this one) but then I saw this

dr4fop.jpg

and now I cant make up my mind. All of the guitars cost about 2k, being the esp a little less. The thing here is that I havent tried a suhr nor an esp custom shop, so I cant decide which one plays "better".

I know that there are a couple of suhr modern owners around here and I also saw a guy with one of this esp custom shop, so I was wondering if you guys can tell your experience with suhr (pro series) and esp (usa custom) and point the out the pros and cons of each. I know that probably the dinky will be the less awesome guitar of the bunch, but please rate it too.

Also, I will run the guitar through my axe-fx (if you guys need to know the "amp").

Thanks!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Having owned all you listed. I'd go with the Suhr for best tone and playability.

Hi, can you elaborate why does the suhr play better? I hate buying guitars without playing them first, so if you could point out the main differences in the esp custom shop and the suhr I'll appreciate it.

Btw your band fucking rocks!

• Members

Suhr is one of the guitars I have never played unfortunately...

I have played an ESP usa custom before and it played great.

Suhr for some reason is the only company I have seen around here that gets no negative comments.

• Members

You probably can't go wrong with either, but having played both ESPs and Suhrs, I prefer the Suhrs.

Not a knock on ESP, they're really sweet, too, but for me, everything about the Suhr just oozes quality and pride in craftsmanship like few other guitars I've played, and I like the overall look better. Classy but still sexy as fuck! :love:

I strongly doubt you'd be disappointed with either purchase, though.

Take into consideration things like neck profile, electronics, features, aesthetic appeal and of course budget and make up your mind from there.

• Members

At that money u will be always best to play before buying blindly on the many different reasons or recommendations from others .Both are high quality guitars and look great but that means jack to the personal individual requirements you as a guitar player will most certainly have. Do not let big brand names bias your judgement without playing any guitar in person to get the results u need.

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroSamurai

Hi, can you elaborate why does the suhr play better?

because he's endorsed by them
:lol:

Actually, I have had deals with all 3 companies, the reason im exclusive with Suhr is because of how the guitars play and sound.

• Members

At that money u will be always best to play before buying blindly on the many different reasons or recommendations from others .Both are high quality guitars and look great but that means jack to the personal individual requirements you as a guitar player will most certainly have. Do not let big brand names bias your judgement without playing any guitar in person to get the results u need.

This. Try to play them all if you can and hear or feel the differences for yourself.

The killer for me was the attention to detail fret and neck wise on the Suhr, and they are the loudest, most resonant electrics ive ever played.. play them NOT plugged in and thats where you'll hear a big difference.

And dont get me wrong, I love Jacksons.. its just the Suhr "feels" more comfortable to me.

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroSamurai

Hi, can you elaborate why does the suhr play better?

Actually, I have had deals with all 3 companies, the reason im exclusive with Suhr is because of how the guitars play and sound.

I know, I'm kidding :cop:

• Members

I liked the ESP until I noticed the motherfuckin abalone. When are they gonna stop with this non-sense??

That's quite an old guitar, actually. Early 2000s or earlier, if I'm not mistaken. The ESP USA Custom shop shut down a while ago.

• Members

This. Try to play them all if you can and hear or feel the differences for yourself.

The killer for me was the attention to detail fret and neck wise on the Suhr, and they are the loudest, most resonant electrics ive ever played.. play them NOT plugged in and thats where you'll hear a big difference.

And dont get me wrong, I love Jacksons.. its just the Suhr "feels" more comfortable to me.

I think there are no suhr dealers in the Austin area. Maybe I'll drive to dallas/houston and check them out.

One more thing about the suhr. How does the neck feel (modern elliptical 780-830)? From the specs it seems to be comparable with a dinky, but with the asymmetrical shape it may feel different.

• Members

I have never played a nicer guitar than my Suhr. The neck and frets are so smooth and perfect. The detail on the entire guitar is fantastic. Their customer service is the best I have ever dealt with. Yes I am a Suhr fanboy!

Mark

• Members

I have never played a nicer guitar than my Suhr. The neck and frets are so smooth and perfect. The detail on the entire guitar is fantastic. Their customer service is the best I have ever dealt with. Yes I am a Suhr fanboy!

Mark

Hi Mark, would you compare the neck on your modern with a ibanez wizard? Or maybe a dinky? The feel of the neck is what matters the most to me.

I think I'll try to attend to the dallas guitar show (www.guitarshow.com) and try every single supertrat out there and then decide on what to get.

• Members

Hi Mark, would you compare the neck on your modern with a ibanez wizard? Or maybe a dinky? The feel of the neck is what matters the most to me.

I think I'll try to attend to the dallas guitar show (
www.guitarshow.com
) and try every single supertrat out there and then decide on what to get.

I have never played an Ibanez Wizard. I have owned some RG's and Jems in the past and I have played a Dinky.

I have been playing LP's and PRS SC's for the last 10 years or so.

When I received the Suhr and started playing it, it was like an instant bond. Extremely smooth, fast and comfy. The stainless steel frets are so smooth it's like butter. The guitar is very loud and resonant as well.

Best guitar I have ever played or owned.

Mark

• Members

I'd go for the Suhr...The Jackson DK1 is a good guitar, very comfortable of course, but the newer production with EMG is a bit too much metal oriented for being a super strat.

My Dinky is an older version and mounts Duncans...it is not only for the pick ups, but in some way I feel that the older versions had something more of a real strat.

Another cool bolt on Jackson you could consider (more strat oriented than the Dinky) is the PC 1: it's really a gret guitar with a bright, clear and still powerfull sound. It's perfect for eighties shredding and has plenty of attack.

I used to have an ESP custom (it was a M I neck thorugh body) and actually was a good guitar, but honestly I didn't hear or feel so much differences from the standard MIJ series.

It was more a "Soloist" oriened guitar (I mean a Jackson soiloist oriented) as it was a neck through: fast and enjoyable to play, but with less character than a real soloist and also a bit less tight on the lower mids.

It's just a general and personal opinion on ESP customs...I've never had the specific model you posted.

I've tried a Suhr from a friend of mine (it wasn't a modern, I think it was a classic with an hb at the bridge) and I have to say that it was a perfect guitar under all aspect.

Very close to a Tom Anderson quality (I still consider the drop top to be the queen of all the super strats).

The luthiery was over the top, the fretboard was perfect, the sound was very balanced over the whole fretboard.

It sounded great with every pups combinations, from clean to hi gain and went from a classic strat to a modern tone.

• Members

i have a Suhr S6, while its not my favorite guitar that i own it is an amazing instrument for sure. The neck is way too thin for me and it doesnt have the natural sustain that my gibsons and Fenders have, it is a great feeling guitar. It all feels top notch. I also have an ESP MII, it literally feels like a plastic piece of shit next to the suhr.