A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Members

I agree that this is a really well-written lyric.

Two notes: 1) Seth McFarlane, who has tons of money from Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, American Dad, and others, studied singing with two of Frank Sinatra's vocal coaches. 2) When you see him sipping from a cup on a talk show, it isn't water or coffee he's drinking, it's scotch. (He talked frankly about his nervousness several times on The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.)

LCK

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I missed all the Seth MacFarlane talk... can the guy be any more talented? He's no Sinatra or Bennett but the guy can sing. I first saw him hosting the Charlie Sheen Roast. They made points about his animation background and I thought they were kidding. Then I saw his concert movie the other day on On Demand TV. I thought, "That's that host guy." So I went and checked his Wiki page. Holy smokes! Talented enough?

funny too...

• Members

Music is such a crazy art form which springs from somewhere deep in the imagination, that I think it's fine to sit on the fence with this question - sometimes the words come first, no problem! Sometimes a melody arrives, great! Sometimes a snippet of words and melody arrive together, which are then fashioned into a song! No problem!

Andrew smile.gif

• Members

It's 33-below "windchill" here in the world's coldest major city and satellite radio began playing Christmas seasonal songs today. On the drive in to work there were two sacred carols from Sinatra's "Jolly Christmas" album -- "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," and "The First Noel." It went well with today's big snowflakes -- the 'compound' kind that fall as slowly as they do in 'snow globes.'

[Over at Amazon I've just reviewed the latest edition of this million-selling album just re-mastered and released "with extra tracks" and I noted the passing, earlier this year, of "I'll Be Home for Christmas" composer (W&M) Hugh Martin; Frank pursuaded him to change one line of the song "to make it more "jolly." (With the moderator's permission, a link below).]

A secular seasonal song channel 71 played 'just for me' today was one we celebrated a year ago at this time, "Baby It's Cold Outside" (w&m Frank Loesser).

I have about 20 versions of that male/female duet song and my favorite is the one played this day, from 20 years ago, by Barry Manilow and Country singer K.T. Oslin. Their spoken-word improvising throughout the song (words not found in Loesser

• Members

The year was 1987 -- "The Grammys," and Ray Charles is about to be presented with a "Lifetime Achievement Award." He's summoned up from the audience (violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman, seated behind him, applauding) so that Ray and Dionne Warwick can duet the "best live performance" this song ever received. VHS tape quality video (dreadful, but glad SOMEONE recorded it), despite which, Ray's greatness with a song lyric shines through. Ms Warwick seems genuinely seduced!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-sing View Post
Music is such a crazy art form which springs from somewhere deep in the imagination, that I think it's fine to sit on the fence with this question - sometimes the words come first, no problem! Sometimes a melody arrives, great! Sometimes a snippet of words and melody arrive together, which are then fashioned into a song! No problem!

Andrew smile.gif
This thread has veered far away from this topic - months ago. lol...

Archived